Cat Introduce Fibre Optics

doppa

friend of mine lives 40 mins north of mae rim, quite a remote area, was at his house over the weekend and he was showing me his fibre optic line, installed completely free of charge by cat, there using him as a guinea pig, so there's hope that it wont be too long before we can all enjoy such luxury.

he was very fortunate, whilst at the cat shop in airport central, the manager happened to hear the conversation my pal was having with an assistant, he interjected and offered him to the gods, lucky fella, right place right time.

• 2 months later...

I've been refusing to pay my CAT bill for August until its discounted to take into account outages. Was surprised when they called today to offer a switch to fibre optic. They say no extra costs, stay on the same expensive 1700/mth program which I started on when CAT was the only option 18 months ago in my area of Mae Jo.

good, beware one thing, ask them if they've got the right modem boxes, my pal had his line put in, only to be told they hadn't received them yet.

Spoke to English speaking tech guy who says yes they have the modems and now 60 people using the service in Mae Jo. Sounds like he wants me to sign new 12 month contract. Will get clearer idea tomorrow.

Be careful of what you wish for

New fiber optic cable will not help with an aging International Gateway

We have it here in Pattaya via the local cable company and lately it has been horrible, bad enough for me to seriously consider going back to 3BBB :redcard2:

Did a speed test the other night and the best ping that it got was from an ISP in Laos, so CAT could not even ping any Bangkok server ????

Here is what it looked like yesterday

post-10942-0-39058700-1319083199_thumb.p

My TOT line is rather consistent between 5-6 kbps.

I fail to understand, why it takes often for the first loading of BKK Post, gmail, TV, whatever, up to 30sec and more, like starting an old diesel engine.

Is that a cable problem, like switching me online only when I go online??