In Bkk Many Years, Fed Up With Usa, Getting New Citizenship

I'm glad to see that the OP got good and correct answers regarding the steps he needs to take, and I hope it all works out to his satisfaction.

For others who may have similar religious/spiritual/ethical reasons for considering such an act, note these two points:

- as an ex-citizen, one would no longer need to pay U.S. taxes on non-U.S. earnings

- as an ex-citizen, one would not receive Social Security

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

Good luck.

I am guessing that since to need to apply for visa in Canada, there is a good chance that country X is Canada... but it really doesn't matter.

As other have said you do not need to jump through all of the hoops for an O-A visa (multiple entry good for 1 yr) if you can qualify for a retirement extension.

Just fly out on your US passport to one of the neighboring countries and request a single entry O visa for the reason of retirement (good for 3 months) or you can even get a tourist visa (good for 60 days) in your Canadian Passport. Then fly back to Thailand on your new passport.

Then during the last 30 days of your single entry O you can go down to immigration and extend for the reason of retirement (800k in the Bank or 65 k in monthly salary - over 50).

If you come back in on Tourist visa, then once you get back in, go down to immigration to change visa from Tourist to O and immediately extend for the purpose of retirement. Need to ensure you have at least 21 days on your tourist visa left and that you meet all of the requirements for retirement extension.

Then once your new visa status is all set on your new passport... then go to the US embassy to renounce your citizenship if you want...

First, to Soutpeel and CWMcMurray: thank you very much for your help. I don't mean to be dense, but I just went to the Singapore Thai embassy site. The only info they have for type O visas seems to be relevant to people who have a Thai spouse. I do not --- just a long term girlfriend. Please see these links:

Types of visa according to SG embassy: Thai embassy SG types of visa

What an O can be used for (if you follow type O from above link): O apparently only for those with Thai spouuse

I saw that you suggest entry on a tourist visa is another possibility --- that looks like my only option --- but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something about the type O.

Any thoughts?

Thanks mucho for your patience.

First, to Soutpeel and CWMcMurray: thank you very much for your help. I don't mean to be dense, but I just went to the Singapore Thai embassy site. The only info they have for type O visas seems to be relevant to people who have a Thai spouse. I do not --- just a long term girlfriend. Please see these links:

Types of visa according to SG embassy: Thai embassy SG types of visa

What an O can be used for (if you follow type O from above link): O apparently only for those with Thai spouuse

I saw that you suggest entry on a tourist visa is another possibility --- that looks like my only option --- but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something about the type O.

Any thoughts?

Thanks mucho for your patience.

Type "O" is not just only for persons with a Thai spouse (this is one of the reasons), you could also get one for "visting friends" and for your purpose,intend to get extension of stay based on retirement....CWMcMurray's post is spot on on the steps you need to take

I'm a US citizen, have lived in BKK for many years on a retirement visa.

OP, the above was your lead-in sentence to this thread. Sounds like you solved the visa question many years ago -- so why the brain fart now? The only difference will be your passport -- and that should make no difference in the eyes of Thai authorities...

Type "O" is not just only for persons with a Thai spouse (this is one of the reasons), you could also get one for "visting friends" and for your purpose,intend to get extension of stay based on retirement....CWMcMurray's post is spot on on the steps you need to take

You cannot get a non-O for "visiting friends", even Hull stopt doing that on orders of the Thai Foreign Ministry.

I'm a US citizen, have lived in BKK for many years on a retirement visa.

OP, the above was your lead-in sentence to this thread. Sounds like you solved the visa question many years ago -- so why the brain fart now? The only difference will be your passport -- and that should make no difference in the eyes of Thai authorities...

With all due respect, JimGant, since when does logic or "should" apply to any bureaucracy? I can't even get a consistent answer from the people at Chaengwattana. I'm hoping that the group intelligence at ThaiVisa converges on a best bet, hopefully one that matches what the Thai embassy websites say. Please forgive my intransigence - this is probably the most important decision of my life.

Couple of thoughts.....

Once you get your new passport -- and before checking-out of the US -- you'll be a dual citizen. Your US passport has a currently valid one-year permission of stay -- either as a result of the last O-A visa you got in the States. Or as a result of the last annual renewal of your retirement extension (again, you say you've been here "many years on a retirement visa," which can be colloquial for annual extension of stay.)

If it's a renewed annual extension of stay, it might just be possible to treat this situation same as with an expiring passport. In which case, the stamps would be transferred to the new passport. However, I'm afraid Immigration might view this as too peculiar, seeing two different nationality passports -- plus, the US passport isn't really due to expire, at least in the normal sense. However, if you're back in Thailand -- with both passports -- it might be worth a try. If it works, fine. You then can go to the US Embassy and check-out.

But, if it doesn't work, then off to a neighboring consulate -- exiting on your US passport (assuming that is what you last entered Thailand on) -- and getting a tourist visa in your new passport. Back to Thailand (entering on new passport), 800k in bank, or proof of income, then convert tourist visa to Non Imm O visa for the purpose of retirement extension. If lucky, will get one-year extension same-day. Or told to come back 60 days hence (plenty of info on this on this forum).

Probably no problem with Immigration possibly noting two passports in same name, particularly if you had no re-entry permit on your US passport, effectively ending your permission of stay in that passport when you exited Thailand.

Now, off to the US Embassy to check-out.

Makes more sense -- to me, anyway -- than going thru the hurdles of an O-A visa in Ottawa.

One other note....

I said get a tourist visa from a neighboring consulate, then convert. However, as Mario suggested, it may be possible to get a Non Imm O from a neighboring consulate, by showing you're "retirement eligible." This would certainly be easier than converting in Thailand. I'm just not familiar with where in the neighborhood this can be done....

To comment on the OP situation, i would recommend treating the two separate passports as separate "persons". Do not try to "link" them together. One of the greatest advantages of having a second passport is that you have a second person to conduct your affairs. When you re-enter Thailand with your different passport, you are yet another of many persons coming into in the land of smiles.

I'm sure someone of your stature could get an invite from a language/dive/etc school. Start out with an non-ed visa or non-O and then work your way towards the visa you really want (marriage/retirement). Try to get the visa that is issued in advance (the whole 1 year is valid from the date the visa is issued), then at worst you just make a border run every 90 days.

For the sovereignty bit, I would also recommend this course. It is a bit of a fear mongering sales pitch, but the free information he provides on the site is very common sense, particularly the "multi-flag planting". I've read a lot of stuff on sovereignty and this is the simplest and practical approach i've seen. I too am entitled to a second passport due to my parents nationality, however i ignored my fathers warnings. Not so much because i didn't believe him, but i was busy doing other stuff. I may have a situation now that a second passport would really come in handy. Looks like my primary passport got lost in the mail (sent EMS overseas for visa work).

I started drawing the same conclusions myself when i first visited thailand. But I only thought that you had to have large sums of money to do it, especially if you have multi-national parents :)

Edited by 4evermaat

To comment on the OP situation, i would recommend treating the two separate passports as separate "persons". Do not try to "link" them together. One of the greatest advantages of having a second passport is that you have a second person to conduct your affairs. When you re-enter Thailand with your different passport, you are yet another of many persons coming into in the land of smiles.

I'm sure someone of your stature could get an invite from a language/dive/etc school. Start out with an non-ed visa or non-O and then work your way towards the visa you really want (marriage/retirement). Try to get the visa that is issued in advance (the whole 1 year is valid from the date the visa is issued), then at worst you just make a border run every 90 days.

For the sovereignty bit, I would also recommend this course. It is a bit of a fear mongering sales pitch, but the free information he provides on the site is very common sense, particularly the "multi-flag planting". I've read a lot of stuff on sovereignty and this is the simplest and practical approach i've seen. I too am entitled to a second passport due to my parents nationality, however i ignored my fathers warnings. Not so much because i didn't believe him, but i was busy doing other stuff. I may have a situation now that a second passport would really come in handy. Looks like my primary passport got lost in the mail (sent EMS overseas for visa work).

I started drawing the same conclusions myself when i first visited thailand. But I only thought that you had to have large sums of money to do it, especially if you have multi-national parents :)

Have you actually read the OP's post ?...he is here on a retirement visa and wants to give up his US citizenship, get his passport for his other nationality and "chance his visa over" to the new nationlaities passport and is asking how it would be done ...

Have you actually read the OP's post ?...he is here on a retirement visa and wants to give up his US citizenship, get his passport for his other nationality and "chance his visa over" to the new nationlaities passport and is asking how it would be done ...

Yes I did. He already has the second citizenship and second passport. What i suggest is just getting a new non-imm thai visa on the second passport, re-enter thailand under the second passport, and just let the other visa on the USA passport expire. At worst, it would cost him another non-imm visa fee + small paperwork shuffle. Moving the existing visa attached to a USA passport to country x passport would probably be difficult. But even if it were possible to lift the visa from passport country "n" to passport country "x", why would you want a paper-trail linking the two identities together? To save a few dollars on the visa fee?

I think the OP's goals are much more geared towards reducing big brother surveilance. IRS or otherwise. This would be best acheived by operating the new "person" (passport) as a separate person. Otherwise, you partially defeat the purpose of the second passport.

In the same fashion, you wouldn't switch IDs with an existing bank account documentation....you'd just open a new bank account :). And if you really want to keep thing private, then make cash withdrawals / redeposit into new bank account. The ATM and CDM machines are often right next to each other :) This goes for anything the OP is using that connects him to his US passport: cell phones, utility bills, etc.

Actually, the more I read this thread, the more pissed-off I get. And by reading some other threads by the OP, I can figure out he's about my age (67) -- so he, like me, had Vietnam to contend with. Is that his beef? Iraq? Hey, both were the stupidest endeavors the US ever got involved in. I served in Vietnam. But others didn't, thru luck of the lottery -- or maybe, as conscientious objectors, became medics. No beef there. America ain't perfect, by a long shot. But, neither were my parents.

He says: "Have nontrivial money in Thai banks in my name."

Well, I can only assume, somehow being raised an American, had something to do with that. Now, he wants to skip-out? I just can't fathom that...certainly a much bigger step, almost incomprehensible, IMO, than, say, a divorce.

No taxes due? Well, I guess folks like George Soros can say, "My country, right or wrong, my....wait a minute, I see a buck in this." Sorry buggers, all of 'em. Hopefully, the OP, as he alluded to, has some kind of mystical angle with all of this. Better than the money angle -- but not much.

Anyway, he'll still get his Social Security. But no military pension, if he ever went that route (doubtful). Hopefully, the wickets required to get his Canadian citizenship will prevent him from giving up his "residency," thus now having to pay Canadian taxes. And, because of no real time in Canada, he won't be eligible for their social services (however they extend to Thailand). Good!

And when he hears "God Save the Queen," or "La Marseillaise -- whatever it is they play in Canada -- he won't have to shed a tear.

Not that he ever did with the "Star-Spangled Banner." I still do. Call me old fashioned.

Actually, the more I read this thread, the more pissed-off I get. And by reading some other threads by the OP, I can figure out he's about my age (67) -- so he, like me, had Vietnam to contend with. Is that his beef? Iraq? Hey, both were the stupidest endeavors the US ever got involved in. I served in Vietnam. But others didn't, thru luck of the lottery -- or maybe, as conscientious objectors, became medics. No beef there. America ain't perfect, by a long shot. But, neither were my parents.

Well, I can only assume, somehow being raised an American, had something to do with that. Now, he wants to skip-out? I just can't fathom that...certainly a much bigger step, almost incomprehensible, IMO, than, say, a divorce.

No taxes due? Well, I guess folks like George Soros can say, "My country, right or wrong, my....wait a minute, I see a buck in this." Sorry buggers, all of 'em. Hopefully, the OP, as he alluded to, has some kind of mystical angle with all of this. Better than the money angle -- but not much.

Anyway, he'll still get his Social Security. But no military pension, if he ever went that route (doubtful). Hopefully, the wickets required to get his Canadian citizenship will prevent him from giving up his "residency," thus now having to pay Canadian taxes. And, because of no real time in Canada, he won't be eligible for their social services (however they extend to Thailand). Good!

And when he hears "God Save the Queen," or "La Marseillaise -- whatever it is they play in Canada -- he won't have to shed a tear.

Not that he ever did with the "Star-Spangled Banner." I still do. Call me old fashioned.

Your making a lot of assumptions there, you dont really know his circumstances, there is will not be any wickets to him getting Canadian citizenship, by all accounts he already has it and is just waiting for the passport, as regards paying tax in Canada, maybe, maybe not he may get himself declared as non-resident for tax purpsoes (nothing wrong in that) and as Canadian citizen even if he hasnt spent any time, he will be entitled to a basic level of social sevices.

After all under your own consitiution people are given the right to choose, and he has excercised that right, further isnt what he is doing rather similar to a circumstances around your revolutionary war.....you didnt want to be British/under empire any more so you bailed....

I think most of your post comes across as saying "How dare not want to be an American"

Agree. Sounds rather aggressive, angry and defensive. Is it that impossible to understand someone making the judgement that one can find the US and its values lacking in comparison to some other countries?

I made the same choice (to leave and sever my connections with the US) after more than a decade of living and working there - a combination of the right-wing utterly loony politics; the crazed religiosity; the ignorance of, and yet assumption of superiority to, the rest of the world; the continual and (unaccountably popular!) failure of the country among almost all other western democracies to provide its citizens with an accessible, income-independent healthcare system; the failure of Obama to even make the vaguest progress, all just accumulated to make me feel more and more uncomfortable with the country and its value system.

Everyone is free to do this. This forum is filled with Daily Mail inspired Brits rantiing about how terrible asylum seekers and immigrants have made Britain and how they hate it. Doesn't bother me, as a Brit.

Why do Americans get so excited at criticism of the US?

We don't all get excited. But there is definitely a segment of the population that is so full of nationalistic hubris that they are deeply offended even by people that choose to live permanently outside of God's country. For me, that is one of the best reasons I know to leave.

I made the same choice (to leave and sever my connections with the US) after more than a decade of living and working there

Ah, naturalized -- or was that green card? In that case, you can be forgiven for lack of jingoism. (Which is not to say most naturalized Americans do not appreciate their circumstances.)

Sorry you didn't find what it was you were looking for. Which flag are you waving now, if I might ask? (Oh, congrats on not having to pay taxes on your IRAs -- that was pretty slick. I wonder if you could have done as well elsewhere -- tax free?)

Silly me, to get so patriotic -- on an expat forum. However, many of us here do appreciate living abroad -- but with a fond appreciation of our roots.

Then, there are the others. And, I guess, I can cut some slack for idealism. But I have a hard time when it comes to greed.

Silly me, to get so patriotic -- on an expat forum. However, many of us here do appreciate living abroad -- but with a fond appreciation of our roots.

But you are not being patriotic, all you are doing is trying to slag off some one who decided he didnt want to be an AMERICAN any more...how dare he

Further you are taking pot shots at immigrants who have lived in AMERICA and decided they didnt want to stay there anymore, and havent spent some time there myself, living and working actually understand what he is getting at..

Further you are taking pot shots at immigrants who have lived in AMERICA and decided they didnt want to stay there anymore,

I took a shot at partington, who in another thread said:

BUT as I worked there so long most of my retirement money is now in a US IRA (individual retirement account). I cannot remove this before age 591/2 without paying full taxes plus a 10% tax penalty

Ahhh, he bought an IRA -- with TAX DEFERRED earnings -- that, otherwise, would have been subject to immediate US income tax. Then, when he wants to collect those tax deferred dollars, plus any income/gain from the investments, he whines about having to pay back those deferred taxes -- plus any further taxes on the gains.

Big, bad America. Making the green card holder pay taxes, just like the citizens. And, gosh, also a 10% penalty, if before age 59.5 -- just like American citizens have to pay. What, he thought, as an immigrant, he should earn money in America -- tax free?

I hope the door hit him in the butt as he left the USA.

and later...

Ahhh, he bought an IRA -- with TAX DEFERRED earnings -- that, otherwise, would have been subject to immediate US income tax. Then, when he wants to collect those tax deferred dollars, plus any income/gain from the investments, he whines about having to pay back those deferred taxes -- plus any further taxes on the gains.

Big, bad America. Making the green card holder pay taxes, just like the citizens. And, gosh, also a 10% penalty, if before age 59.5 -- just like American citizens have to pay. What, he thought, as an immigrant, he should earn money in America -- tax free?

Mr. Gant, calm down.

Your detective work is correct: I did live during the Vietnam era, and through everything since. I did not ever serve in the military --- but I came to deeply regret that decision, and my failure to serve still weighs heavy on my conscience. I truly admire and respect your own service.

But neither Vietnam nor Iraq nor Afghanistan contribute much to my decision to relinquish.

I don't owe you any explanations, on the other hand "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that should declare the causes which impel [me] to the separation."

Eventually, I'll do exactly that. But for now let this suffice:

I love the USA -- or at least the magnificent nation she was until a few decades ago. Although I did not serve in the military, there's a good chance that I contributed as much or more to my country than many of those that did. And I'm not talking about just taxes. I am heartsick that the corrupt snakes in government so carelessly discarded my contributions, and yours.

When the iniquities of the government of his day became too great to bear, Thomas Jefferson wrote the words I quoted above. The founding fathers of the United States were men of amazing courage, intellect, and above all honor. In my small way, I try to emulate those characteristics.

Money has nothing to do with it; and I resent any implication that it does.

If you are the honorable man you appear to be, you might tender an apology.

I am heartsick that the corrupt snakes in government so carelessly discarded my contributions, and yours.

Now, that's pretty heavy. I hope we do eventually get more from you on this...as it leaves me completely perplexed.

But, I've already said I can cut some slack for idealism -- but not greed. And you're apparently not guilty of the latter.

Anyway, I guess I am also now guilty of 'idealism,' where realpolitik and pragmatism were, I thought, my guideposts. So, I'll see your Tom Jefferson, and raise you a Stephen Decatur:

"Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong."

Oh, you said:

When the iniquities of the government of his day became too great to bear, Thomas Jefferson wrote the words I quoted above.

Yeah, but he was talking about digging in -- and taking on the oppressors. Not becoming a Torry, and heading for Canada.

But, there were principled men on both sides of that issue. So, I sincerely hope your decision brings peace with yourself. Good luck.

Oh, did you figure out how to address your one-year retirement permissions with the new passport?

Edited by JimGant

Further you are taking pot shots at immigrants who have lived in AMERICA and decided they didnt want to stay there anymore,

I took a shot at partington, who in another thread said:

BUT as I worked there so long most of my retirement money is now in a US IRA (individual retirement account). I cannot remove this before age 591/2 without paying full taxes plus a 10% tax penalty

Oyy! Steady on old sport!.

Your quote from me was not a whine, but a statement of the actual facts about IRAs and tax. I was not complaining about being taxed the same way as US citizens on IRA withdrawals, I was explaining what the situation is for people who might not necessarily know. In the same thread I seem to remember saying:

Of course I am in favour of complying with the law, and paying taxes to the country you live in, but the US is a special case- one of the only 3 or 4 countries in the world that tries to make its citizens pay tax on money earned elsewhere in the world and never brought into the US, even when they no longer live there.

And that was my complaint, not the fact that taxes are due on my IRA.

I am completely willing , and feel morally obliged to, pay taxes on money I earned when in the country, including my IRA (and where did you get the idea I have avoided taxes on my IRA? When I start withdrawals after 591/2 tax is due, and I will either have to pay 30% flat rate or fill in a 1040NR, or invoke a tax treaty and be taxed in whatever country I'm a tax resident of at the time).

What I objected to on that thread, and still object to, is the unfairness of US tax laws that oblige non-citizens to pay tax to the US in perpetuity, after they have left the US for good, and after their right to return has been withdrawn. As I've said this seems extraordinary! I think no other country on earth does this! This is what I am unwilling to do, and took steps to avoid.

I have not, and can not, and do not wish to, avoid paying IRA taxes.

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.

And I guess the US places more value on a 'green card' than that of a simple 'work permit.' Still a good deal for those moving up in life. But for those merely stepping sideways, maybe not.

In purely practical terms -- as a US citizen -- I wonder if this policy is stymieing the recruitment of talented foreign workers who have no wish to settle permanently in the US....? Hmmmmm.

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.

And I guess the US places more value on a 'green card' than that of a simple 'work permit.' Still a good deal for those moving up in life. But for those merely stepping sideways, maybe not.

In purely practical terms -- as a US citizen -- I wonder if this policy is stymieing the recruitment of talented foreign workers who have no wish to settle permanently in the US....? Hmmmmm.

As long as you are being double taxed, then probably not, given the $90K threshold. Above that, unless I misunderstand it, if you earn over the limit, you only pay the difference in your marginal tax rates between the US and the country you are in.

In most cases, marginal tax rates for high income earners are higher elsewhere in the world, so effectively you pay nothing to the US if you a high earner in most of the EU or places like Australia, NZ.

It would only be a problem if you were working in low tax jurisdictions, or tax havens.

Happy to be corrected on this though.

Lanny, My post was in response to someone else's post, not the OP.

"...social security/benefits/medical is far better in Canada than US"

Probably not for folks joining the system later in life.

Correct. There is a waiting period and once out of the country, no more medicare. It is why many Canadians are called snowbirds, returning home from the Carribean and the USA to keep that medicare. For Canadians considering following in the OP's footsteps; Most provinces require you to be physically present for at least 183 days in order to retain your permanent residence and your medicare. The only exceptions are Ontario and Newfoundland, where you must be physically present for at least 153 days and 122 days respectively. (Dispensations are availble).

Renouncing US citizenship is unnecessary and cuts a person off from important benefits such as evacuation in time of crisis. Ever notice that some Amercans become very patriotic when they need the marines to come recue them? Just ask the folks that were airlifted out of Tunisia, Bahrein and Egypt. :lol:

And in respect to Canadian Old Age Security; To receive OAS you must have lived in Canada a minimum of 10 years after reaching age 18. ( In order to qualify for the maximum OAS pension, you must have lived in Canada (after reaching age 18) for at least 40 years.)

In any case, best of luck to the OP and his passport of convenience. It won't help if there is a national emergency and he needs help though.

As long as you are being double taxed, then probably not, given the $90K threshold. Above that, unless I misunderstand it, if you earn over the limit, you only pay the difference in your marginal tax rates between the US and the country you are in.

In most cases, marginal tax rates for high income earners are higher elsewhere in the world, so effectively you pay nothing to the US if you a high earner in most of the EU or places like Australia, NZ.

It would only be a problem if you were working in low tax jurisdictions, or tax havens.

Happy to be corrected on this though.

As the OP has stated that he is retired, this does not apply to him. The $90,000 exclusion is for income earned from personal service and not to pensions and investment income. However, basically, your understanding seems correct. Someone working in Thailand and earning a salary above the exclusion but paying Thai taxes would pay little or nothing in US taxes on that income. It might increase the marginal rate paid on other income, however.

So if the US hadn't insisted on fighting a war of independance and remained a colony....they too could have enjoyed this benefit today....:rolleyes:

A US citizen working overseas is unlikely to pay any more home country income tax then someone from the UK or any other commonwealth country.

Between the foreign earned income exclusion and foreign tax credits on income above the exclusion, unless the foreign country has a lower income tax rate then the US, a US citizen will be paying no US tax.

:D

TH