Transferring Money From Uk

random

is anyone aware of this, I was told that you can now send money to your Thai bank account via the post office in the uk, free of charge. Is this correct or was it the drunken rambling of someone that I can't remember to clarify it with.

Anyone?

Possibly now correct. Brother is senior manager in Post Office and he mentioned likewise about 6 months ago. Maybe its been activated now ??

Why not use the forum sponsor ukforex.co.uk who transfer anything over 3k free of charge and first two times used free, if a lesser amount eg £1,000. Rates were about 0.10 satang higher when I transferred £1500 in June.

ok it is free, I have just found the relevant website for it

http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/finance/making-payments/post-office-international-payments

Yes may be free to send but can be assured rate received through into bank transactions wont be anywhere near the 49.42 available real time now 0900 Thai time via ukforex.

Edited in,

However when you log in and do a dummy transaction up to actual transfer its showing 48.51 so not sure whats happened there.

Edited by Chivas

http://www2.postoffi...tional-payments

Yes may be free to send but can be assured rate received through into bank transactions wont be anywhere near the 49.42 available real time now 0900 Thai time via ukforex.

Edited in,

However when you log in and do a dummy transaction up to actual transfer its showing 48.51 so not sure whats happened there.

I will have a look

Edited in,

I will have a look

No need to look - Chivas is spot on, they will make their money on the rate. You cannot send Sterling (the way to get the best rate in Thailand) so you have to take the rate they give you - and that will be laced with profit.

Halifax GBP 9.50 still takes some beating.

Edited in,

I will have a look

No need to look - Chivas is spot on, they will make their money on the rate. You cannot send Sterling (the way to get the best rate in Thailand) so you have to take the rate they give you - and that will be laced with profit.

Halifax GBP 9.50 still takes some beating.

When Is aid i will have a look i was not disputing Chivas, I just simply meant i will have a look at it myself also.

To be honest thought even when using Western Union you pay a fee and still get a poor rate, at least this way there is no fee, just a lower rate, but again banks do not always give the best rate anyway so this is to be expected. My guess would be that the rate will be the rate set by the receiving Thai bank based in their exchange rate for that day, anything other than that is in reality hidden charges.

Looking at the web site it all sounds too good to be true.

I never do exchange in the UK, I always send Pounds and handle the exchage at the receiving end.

I doubt the GPO will be happy with that idea?

If you have to use CHAPS to transfer the money to the PO, your bank

will charge you 25 quid. That same money would cover a TT direct to your

overseas bank.

PS My bank, Royal Bank of Scotland International, no longer uses the free BACS service. :bah: