Engagement Ring

gbt71fa

If one uses the 2 month's salary rule as previously mentioned, $8-10,000 is being a cheap charlie.

guess i earn more money than you then :o just kidding

the amount that 2 months salary equals is not important ,if you are getting engaged you are setting up a future together, so spending half a years salary wouldnt make much sence to me ,i think the money could be used better for a house or a car etc ,i think the 2 months salary is a guide as to what is a sensible amount to spend.

If one uses the 2 month's salary rule as previously mentioned, $8-10,000 is being a cheap charlie.

the amount that 2 months salary equals is not important ,if you are getting engaged you are setting up a future together, so spending half a years salary wouldnt make much sence to me ,i think the money could be used better for a house or a car etc ,i think the 2 months salary is a guide as to what is a sensible amount to spend.

I found if you have a sensible girl who values money more than gold or diamonds, you are onto a winner. I took my wife out to pick her engagement ring fully prepared to spend whatever she wanted, you know what she chose a ring costing £700 when i thought it was going to cost me a couple of thousand quid. She told me that it was stupid to spend that much on a ring when she likes the one she has for £700

not bragging or anything like that but...uh, two month of my salary is really, really a lot and I think she would whack me in the head if she found out I spend that much.

How do Thais view white gold?
Thais don't like white gold because it makes their skin look black(er).

My wife chose white gold for her ring, and other jewellery I bought for her (earrings etc.) are also white gold... She thinks it looks nicer than yellow gold. I am not sure about this, but I have a feeling that yellow gold is more popular in the rural areas, while white is more popular in the (wannabe) hi-so circles.

My own ring is 22K gold, which as a different colour than those of lower purity. However, it's also softer. Doesn't bend, of course, but it gets scratched easily. it's just a plain ring with no patterns. It's definitely less shiny than when I bought it a year ago, covered in small scratches. I started to take it off while lifting weights in the gym, but then it was already a bit too late. Can get it polished to shiny as new again, and I don't think it's very costly.

-NM

I am proposing to my girlfriend in January and I want to get her an engagement ring.  I wiant to get her a better ring than the one that I gave my ex-wife.  I was thinking arount $2000 (U.S.) I guess around 80,000 Baht.  I don't know if that is considered too much, too little, whatever.  I was going to buy it in the U.A.E. when I am there for a few days but she say she want to help me pick it out.  Is she going to freak out if I get a ring that expensive for her?  She gets mad when I try to tip somebody more than 20 Baht.  Also, how good is Thailand gold?  Any help would be appreciated

I believe that the trick in diamond buying in the third world is to buy rings of exquisite design, with many small cut diamonds , because it is too expensive to cut small diamonds in the west value v labour costs, which means such a ring is rarer than a straight one carat ring which after all is really buying a dream defined by the mafia desribed selling it, and more likely to have an international price.

I have bought my lady two rings one has 30 tiny cut diamonds arranged in five rows and one a spiral of gold with a heart shaped mount diamond at each end and 7 mediun size diamonds mounted on the spiral, each cost around 15,000 bht and I am staggered by the sparkle of both rings even in very low light, something I have never seen in rings in England.

These rings are made by a lady that sells them from a booth in Carrefour Mall Pattaya, so low input costs there.

Any Lady who was not delighted by such original beauty would definitely be far too calculating to deserve even such a paltry thing as a 15,000 bht diamond ring!!!!

I believe that the trick in diamond buying in the third world is to buy rings of exquisite design, with many small cut diamonds , because it is too expensive to cut small diamonds in the west value v labour costs, which means such a ring is rarer than a straight one carat ring which after all is really buying a dream defined by the mafia desribed selling it, and more likely to have an international price.

If you can find a one carat single diamond with few impurities it will be far more valuable than multiple diamonds that make up one carat in total.

If the stone is cut properly it will sparkle so much that you will need sunglasses to look at it. This is where the expertise is required and this is what you are paying for.

Multiple stone rings are usually for eternity rings or dress rings. Engagement rings usually have the main stone plus maybe some shoulder stones to complement the main diamond.

What you think might be a cheap diamond ring could really be a cheap ring with badly cut diamonds and/or stones littered with flaws.

You usually get what you pay for.