Namtok Phlio National Park

Atmos

Namtok Phlio National Park

(also as Namtok Phlieu, Phliu, Pliew, Pliu)

There are several entrances to this national park which covers 135 sq km, the main entrance is on highway Sukhumvit #3 that runs south past Chanthaburi to Trat

From Chanthaburi city it's about 15km, depends on which route you take out of the city to the highway; for me, cycling from Tha Mai I get there on the outskirts of C city avoiding the traffic, and about 27km, keeping kms spent on Sukhumvit #3 to a minimum by using 3147, 3146, across the C River and 3348 which take me to less than 2km from the road to the park - can't miss that one it has a huge sign over the road where it meets #3.

Heading south the first sign you're nearing the park (on #3) is a large Chinese temple, and a bit further on the turnoff to the left; 2km from here there's a car park area, then some shops and the park gates. If you're cycling I've found the park security guards are quite happy to look after the bike, under cover next to the guard post.

Prices are standard for Thailand's National Parks, 200b for foreigners and 40b for Thais and . . . each time we've been I have been asked if I have a Thai drivers licence (yes) to allow me in at a cheaper rate; had to produce it there at the ticket booth, and again for the security man at the gate.

No alcohol is permitted inside the park (or firearms!) and there are signs advising of this.

Inside the gates there is an information centre, photos of the park's development and the animals that can be found there; also a collection of some very dodgy looking home-made rifles they have confiscated from poachers who continue to be a problem in the park. Also here you can arrange for accommodation within the park, there are cabins available to rent from small (6 people) to big for eg schools groups (30 people). They also hire out tents, or you can use your own - there are several areas with cabins but just one for tents, on top of the hill behind the info centre, has great views out towards the coast at Laem Sing.

We've never been there on a weekend - been told it is very busy weekends and public holidays.

Past the info centre more shops, food, souvenirs/t-shirts, water etc, plus showrs/toilets. And the long beans for sale to feed the fish.

Food cannot be taken into the main park - another security checkpoint 100m away with undercover lockers (open lockers!) for bags and food and a man there to check bags if he want to.

The biggest hill (I refuse to call it a mountain) is 924 meters. No mountainbiking permitted.

Within 15 min walk of the gates a few points of interest:

• The 3-level Phliu waterfall with numerous swimming areas downstream that are well stocked (think of the Piranha movies!) with sorobrook carp
  • Along Khvon Chedi: Built in 1876 to commemorate the visits of King Rama V.
  • Pra Nang Ruar Lom Stupa that was built by King Rama 5th in 1881 in commemoration of Sunnata Kumarirat Princess Pra Borm Rajadhevi
  • and a walk to the top of the first hill and camping/cabin area

Have not ventured into the main park/widerness area yet; the park nice place to stop off if you're on the way to/from Trat/Koh Chang (another 55km south).

Edited by Atmos

Camping sites- map, cabin, view towards the coast/Laem Sing

Tents available for hire, or bring your own

Brought their brochure back - they have them in English as well as Thai

Tent camping available only at Zone 1 - On The Mount

Camp ground tent for rent: for two people 150b/night

Large tent for 8 people 600b per night

• 2 weeks later...

more National Parks in Eastern Thailand

There are 8 National Parks in East Thailand, two are Marine National Parks (Ko Chang, Ko Samet)

Chanthaburi Province

Prachinburi Province

Rayong Province

Sakaeo Province

Trat Province

Edited by Atmos

%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C.jpg

Namtok Phlio - Khlong Narai entrance

Nearer to Chanthaburi city, the entrance to Khlong Narai is clearly signposted off Sukhumvit #3, heading south, left at the signpost and the road is sealed for all but the last 300m to the carpark; there is a Visitors Information Centre plus one shop.

Day we went, midweek, there had been a lot of rain, we had the place to ourselves.

No ticket booth, no mention anywhere of any entry fee required.

Perhaps more of a nature walk than a National Park experience; some small swimming areas for kids, but none of the carp seen at the main park river. Nice quiet spot, we'll head back for a better look in the next week or two.

Edited by Atmos