Can You Walk Golf Courses With A Push Cart?

robkey69

All the times I golfed in the Rayong area I went with my brother in laws and we had girl caddies. I never bother to look to see if they allow walking with a push carts. I bought a house in the Payoon beach area and wondering if I should ship a 3-wheel push cart there. I would rather walk then use a golf cart or have a caddy.

Also has anyone every seen any snakes while golfing? That is the one thing that creeps me out...I don't want to step on a cobra or viper if I put a shot in the rough...:)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Many people would like to dispense with the caddies services but it is likely that you are required to have one.

I play the army course and one player of two must employ a caddy, most members are ex military and given some slack because of cost, a farang must have a caddy, It is considered cheap not to have a caddy. Reasons not to have a caddy like, 'for healthy exercise' for instance, are unacceptable.

Many people would like to dispense with the caddies services but it is likely that you are required to have one.

I play the army course and one player of two must employ a caddy, most members are ex military and given some slack because of cost, a farang must have a caddy, It is considered cheap not to have a caddy. Reasons not to have a caddy like, 'for healthy exercise' for instance, are unacceptable.

I totally agree with that...I want some exercise and fresh air without having a caddy....I'd rather just pay for a caddy and walk....But from what I have witnessed with my brother in laws is that golf is a major social event....everyone has to buy PGA Tour equipment and dress to the nines. Then they have use 18 year old girls as caddies.....then after golf its a 8-10 hour marathon of drinking and eating...which after hour 2 I'm bored as hell......

But this is Thailand...

Edited by robkey69

I totally agree with that...I want some exercise and fresh air without having a caddy....I'd rather just pay for a caddy and walk....But from what I have witnessed with my brother in laws is that golf is a major social event....everyone has to buy PGA Tour equipment and dress to the nines. Then they have use 18 year old girls as caddies.....then after golf its a 8-10 hour marathon of drinking and eating...which after hour 2 I'm bored as hell......

But this is Thailand...

Just to rub salt into the wound, a very nice course, Siam Country Club, stipulates that carts are used and that the caddy drives the cart! I doubt that I shall play there again, but if I had to (friends visiting) I would try to walk if it was possible to keep up, but I suspect that I would have to follow the cart because I expect that there are rules on routes only known to the chauffeur. mad.gif

But this is Thailand...

Just to rub salt into the wound, a very nice course, Siam Country Club, stipulates that carts are used and that the caddy drives the cart! I doubt that I shall play there again, but if I had to (friends visiting) I would try to walk if it was possible to keep up, but I suspect that I would have to follow the cart because I expect that there are rules on routes only known to the chauffeur. mad.gif

Relax! Golf is supposed to be enjoyable. Go with the flow. What's the problem allowing the caddie to drive!? Personally, I find it more problematic when the cart must stay on the path, but that doesn't have anything to do with who the driver is, does it?

I prefer walking as well, but rules are rules - get used to it.

You know when I was younger I use to really love Thailand....now after almost 20 years and 120 trips.....add a Thai wife and a house....all I can say is I feel like one of the most famous saying from the classic movie Animal House.....and the answer is....

"Face it founder! YOU fuc_ked up, you trusted us" That pretty much sums up what I think of Thailand....and as a farlang I take my place in the family right below the family dog....55555

While I have a "good" educated Thai wife she is a pain in the ass....Maybe I should have married a bar girl...I see no difference between American women and Thai....its pretty much about how big a wallet you have....

Edited by robkey69

But this is Thailand...

Relax! Golf is supposed to be enjoyable. Go with the flow. What's the problem allowing the caddie to drive!? Personally, I find it more problematic when the cart must stay on the path, but that doesn't have anything to do with who the driver is, does it?

I prefer walking as well, but rules are rules - get used to it.

Thanks for that. laugh.gifWhat is the problem with the cart staying on the path? go with the flow; golf is supposed to be enjoyable.

Edited by tgeezer

if they want you to have a cart whats stopping you walking between shots you dont have to say any thing just have your shot and walk on great way to play when your shagged jump into the cart best of both worlds

The better Marshalled courses will be on you like a ton of bricks - the idea of the Cart is not for your convenience or to stop you getting tired, it's to speed up play so they can get more players around the course and therefore more Green Fees.

Patrick

If you like to walk, don't play at the courses where carts are compulsory. They are only there to add more revenue to the clubs coffers. Virtually all courses now have hand pull carts for golfers who wish to walk. Caddies are compulsory which helps with the maintenance of the golf course & allows you not having to worry about repairing divots, raking bunkers, etc.

Thanks for that. laugh.gifWhat is the problem with the cart staying on the path? go with the flow; golf is supposed to be enjoyable.

B)

lol, I guess I'm the old fashioned type who want to keep the equipment with me rather than first having to walk to the ball and find out the distance and then wait for the caddie to run back to the cart and get the equipment. But I see your point! :D

When I play tournaments and have a caddie, the instruction is "my bag is NEVER more than 5 yards away from me". I guess not very relaxing...:D

B)

lol, I guess I'm the old fashioned type who want to keep the equipment with me rather than first having to walk to the ball and find out the distance and then wait for the caddie to run back to the cart and get the equipment. But I see your point! :D

When I play tournaments and have a caddie, the instruction is "my bag is NEVER more than 5 yards away from me". I guess not very relaxing...:D

To answer the OP yes I have seen a cobra on course near Ban Chang. The caddies wanted nothing to do with it and I dropped another ball. Whats wrong with caddies? If you can't afford them one thing but they are fun and it makes the trip easier.

B)

jap.gif

I am like you; the caddy follows me, I don't follow the caddy. I don't know, but imagine a caddy in a cart is in the driving seat both actually and figuratively. For me walking is the only way to play golf, quite apart from the exercise, it gives me a feel for distance which a cart can't do; I often count the paces to the ball after hitting.

Then they have use 18 year old girls as caddies.....then after golf its a 8-10 hour marathon of drinking and eating..

I have always considered golf to be a MEH screw that type of deal but what your implying sounds very very inviting, where can I purchase some left hand clubs ?

Then they have use 18 year old girls as caddies.....then after golf its a 8-10 hour marathon of drinking and eating..

I have always considered golf to be a MEH screw that type of deal but what your implying sounds very very inviting, where can I purchase some left hand clubs ?

Spponnman I may be being slow but what is MEH?

"Fraternisation" with caddies seems very popular from what i have seen - both on and off the course!

If you are serious then same places you buy right handed clubs although less choice.

To answer the OP yes I have seen a cobra on course near Ban Chang. The caddies wanted nothing to do with it and I dropped another ball. Whats wrong with caddies? If you can't afford them one thing but they are fun and it makes the trip easier.

I have a house by Ban Chang and I have heard there have been some problems with Cobra crawling up the sewage drains....never seen one myself and I really don't want to.

No problem affording them...that's not the issue.....I just like to figure course out myself...I personally can walk faster then most older Farlangs can play with a cart. For me what I like about Thailand is ability to do common sense things without some rule or regulation or PC person watching over your shoulder.

Caddies are OK....but not really my personal choice in any country. So while it seems we Farlangs can choose pretty much anything in Thailand we can't walk most golf course...LOL

For what its worth.

• 3 weeks later...

B)

I agree. I want to walk as long as I am able; I'm 68 and sometimes play 4 times a week. I really HATE being in a cart and the noise of the clubs rattling around behind me does my head in. I now decline to play at Banyan here in Hua-Hin, because a cart and its cost are 'compulsory. You CAN walk if you wish -which is what I've done on the last few occasions when I couldn't get out of playing there, but the caddies don't like having to pull a trolley when their counterparts are driving the buggies. Also at this venue they only allow one golfer per cart and the caddy must drive.

I don't mind paying for the caddies and as previously stated the courses are probably better for it as lots of people would never think to repair a pitch mark or rake a bunker - FAR too demeaning; in fact some lazy sods won't even pick their ball out of the hole.