Thai Women And The Humble Potato!

coolhandjoe

Best way to cook a potato  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And who can forget that fish and chip shop staple. A bag of freshly fried potato fritters drowning in salt and vinegar and a couple of buttered bread rolls.

Kobe beef? Matsutake mushrooms? Almas caviar? Alba truffles? Load of <deleted>!

Edited by mca

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I remember those days when a 4 pound leg of beef would be roast on Sunday, cold on Monday and mince on Tuesday."

I don't think I've ever heard of a leg of beef before, only joints and roasts.

As a post on the first page said, potatoes go really well in a masaman curry. I like to keep a few of the boiled potatoes over to the next morning and then slice and fry them with my bacon.

Listen you young whippersnapper, I started out with pounds weight and pork and changed part of it.

It was Sunday afternoon and I hadn't had my afternoon nap.

At my age I allowed to make a mistake or two.

Anymore comments like that and I will crank up my turbocharged zimmer frame and run you over.

I see there are a lot of English guys here, and nobody has mentioned Potato Soup yet. It was a favourite of mine cooked by my mum. There are many variations e.g. add a big ham or bacon bone with meat on, pumpkin, oxtail, spring onions , leeks etc. Thais love soup so it would be easy for the wife to cook and add some nice Thai herbs, especially coriander and chilli. A big pot will feed the family for the whole day and it is so easy to make.

My Dad ( RIP) used to make a good one..used put meat, potatoes , vegetables and then cook them in a slow cooker...aroi mak mak rolleyes.gif

Would taste twice as nice the following day licklips.gif

I prefer rice over potatoes. I like my rice steamed or boiled and it goes with Thai food way better than the spud. Baked potatoes are healthy, but then they're usually loaded up with a bunch of unhealthy stuff. I try to stay away from fried foods as much as possible, and a lot of potatoes are fried in some manner or another.

I prefer rice over potatoes. I like my rice steamed or boiled and it goes with Thai food way better than the spud. Baked potatoes are healthy, but then they're usually loaded up with a bunch of unhealthy stuff. I try to stay away from fried foods as much as possible, and a lot of potatoes are fried in some manner or another.

I can't say I've ever really enjoyed rice, except maybe for a good rice pudding, though even then, I would take a rich bread and butter pudding in preference any time.

The thing is, I feel rice is not really a dish in itself - its just an accompaniment or an ingredient. I can't really remember any of the rice that I've eaten, except perhaps for some of the Japanese rice that I've eaten in Yoshinoya. I suppose that just betrays my ignorance, and if I had invested the effort, I could wax eloquent on different breeds and grains and methods of preparation. I find noodles slightly more interesting than rice.

I like bread, by the way. Currently, I would say chapatis were my favourite.

But to get back on topic, I like a nice potato salad made with small, lightly cooked new potatoes, but I get distressed if the salad is contaminated with celery or apple.

I like a nice aloo gobi as well, with a chapati.

SC

I've always thought of rice as a subset of Thai food; a bit like saying "I think that some Thai food goes better with Thai food than does Western food.

Seems fair enough to me. I can't really imagine eating fried rice and chips. I can't really imagine eating chicken madras with a slice of sunblest pan loaf, either. Nor steak and saffron rice. Call me conservative, call me reactionary, but I prefer a consistent and coherent approach to menu generation.

I suppose it depends on what fillings you choose whether baked potatoes are loaded up with unhealthy stuff. Personally, I like them full of potato, but most people bake oversize and tasteless potatoes that need a good filling (can I say that on TV?) to overcome the tedium.

I supose the great thing about potatoes is you can have them so many different ways, which was probably the point of the OP's original comparison

SC

I've always thought of rice as a subset of Thai food; a bit like saying "I think that some Thai food goes better with Thai food than does Western food.

Seems fair enough to me. I can't really imagine eating fried rice and chips. I can't really imagine eating chicken madras with a slice of sunblest pan loaf, either. Nor steak and saffron rice. Call me conservative, call me reactionary, but I prefer a consistent and coherent approach to menu generation.

I suppose it depends on what fillings you choose whether baked potatoes are loaded up with unhealthy stuff. Personally, I like them full of potato, but most people bake oversize and tasteless potatoes that need a good filling (can I say that on TV?) to overcome the tedium.

I supose the great thing about potatoes is you can have them so many different ways, which was probably the point of the OP's original comparison

SC

I had a Phillipina gf once who used to make a nice Pat Kapow Moo on top of mash spuds .

Hi Tomallison

Very traditional. Reminds me of my childhood days on an outing in Southport with my parents. The local cafe's there used to advertise 'fish & chips with tea bread & butter' all this for the grand cost of two shillings and sixpence. (Whoops giving away my age!).

The traditional fish and chip shop at the start of the pier in Southport is still there!

The price however is £5.50 take away or your option with tea and bread and butter for a couple of pounds more.

I can safely say that this is one of my most favourite chippies in the world.:D

Potatoes are not indigenous to the LOS.

They need a temperate climate with temperature between 18 and 24 deg to reach optimal quality and quantity, which means that unless some crazy farang decide to grow spuds in an air con green house at 20 deg and selling them at caviar price, you will never get anything like home.

So those you find in local shops are bound to be bland tasteless with hardly any nutriments and of the wrong texture.

Top French fries require good quality potato with adequate firm texture Roseval / BF15 or Binjte which are not imported here, ( a good thing IMO) so yes French fries are disgusting here.

The real question is why absolutely always try to bring / import / grow your temperate climate food here when the local option are plentiful and of good quality?

sweet potato for example has far more interesting nutritious qualities especially in vitamin A, B and fibers, and has the same uses as spuds including fries.

They need a temperate climate with temperature between 18 and 24 deg to reach optimal quality and quantity, which means that unless some crazy farang decide to grow spuds in an air con green house at 20 deg and selling them at caviar price, you will never get anything like home.

So those you find in local shops are bound to be bland tasteless with hardly any nutriments and of the wrong texture.

Top French fries require good quality potato with adequate firm texture Roseval / BF15 or Binjte which are not imported here, ( a good thing IMO) so yes French fries are disgusting here.

The real question is why absolutely always try to bring / import / grow your temperate climate food here when the local option are plentiful and of good quality?

sweet potato for example has far more interesting nutritious qualities especially in vitamin A, B and fibers, and has the same uses as spuds including fries.

In Laos we get the Chinese variety which are definately on a par with spuds you get in U.K, (and a lot cheaper) I'm surprised you can't get them in Thailand.

The Mrs puts them in curries, has learned how to roast them properly, make tasty jackets and makes the best chips ever (sugar, twice fried)

The same reason that I liked to eat foreign foods when I was living in San Francisco even the local stuff was so good: Variety! ;)

The same reason that I liked to eat foreign foods when I was living in San Francisco even the local stuff was so good: Variety! ;)

When in Rome ...

That works for about the first 3 years and then it just gets boring. ;)

When in Rome, import the finest delicacies from the far ends of the known world, same as the Romans do.

When the Romans went overseas, they took with them their culinary talents.

Hence the ice cream shops of Scotland (might have been Neapolitans...or even Milaners...)

SC

In Laos we get the Chinese variety which are definately on a par with spuds you get in U.K, (and a lot cheaper) I'm surprised you can't get them in Thailand.

The Mrs puts them in curries, has learned how to roast them properly, make tasty jackets and makes the best chips ever (sugar, twice fried)

You can get them in Thailand.

Makro seem to market them as "Dutch" potatoes but the boxes have a load of green Chinese writing on.

We sell loads of mash potato and have never had a complaint. A bit of milk and butter and they are as good as anything I had in the UK. Also make a decent baked potato.

I couldn't make decent chips out of them though (and couldn't be bothered with Makro chips at such a good price).

So you have exhausted all the varieties of thai vegetables (200 of them) ?

And you have come to the conclusion that eating imported / non indigenous no nutriments no taste veggies were better for you than any of this 200?

Makro seem to market them as "Dutch" potatoes but the boxes have a load of green Chinese writing on.

We sell loads of mash potato and have never had a complaint. A bit of milk and butter and they are as good as anything I had in the UK. Also make a decent baked potato.

I couldn't make decent chips out of them though (and couldn't be bothered with Makro chips at such a good price).

Yes .... sure ....I mean no one is complaining here.

Only the OP's friend who said potatoes were tasteless veggies.

I personally agree and going to the market twice a week I have not seen a decent variety of potato here.

Nothing resembling a Roseval (warm Roseval and rosemary + grey shallot salad is a recurrent dream), or a Charlotte which is for me the best spud ever in term of versatility, or even a vitelotte (the purple one) but that is just being naughty, not to forget the tasty Belle de Fontenay so crunchy and soft when roasted ...

But I am quite happy with the local sweet potato, I am experimenting diced sweet potato red shallots and Kraphao salad, worth a try ...they are so many herbs, and combinations, the experimentation is endless

A lot of things taste good with milk and butter ... Cheese on top also ...Or Thai trilogy, sugar salt and chilies ... I believe also mint sauce used to be a good one also to hide low quality roast in UK ?

Food wise, I personally prefer to have the right product from the start, and very little adding like the Japanese or us French...

It depends how you perceive what you eat ...

Yes .... sure ....I mean no one is complaining here.

Only the OP's friend who said potatoes were tasteless veggies.

I personally agree and going to the market twice a week I have not seen a decent variety of potato here.

Nothing resembling a Roseval (warm Roseval and rosemary + grey shallot salad is a recurrent dream), or a Charlotte which is for me the best spud ever in term of versatility, or even a vitelotte (the purple one) but that is just being naughty, not to forget the tasty Belle de Fontenay so crunchy and soft when roasted ...

But I am quite happy with the local sweet potato, I am experimenting diced sweet potato red shallots and Kraphao salad, worth a try ...they are so many herbs, and combinations, the experimentation is endless

A lot of things taste good with milk and butter ... Cheese on top also ...Or Thai trilogy, sugar salt and chilies ... I believe also mint sauce used to be a good one also to hide low quality roast in UK ?

Food wise, I personally prefer to have the right product from the start, and very little adding like the Japanese or us French...

It depends how you perceive what you eat ...

The view I take is that we are in Thailand.

I am trying to replicate, or be as authentic as I can be with, dishes like Sausage & Mash, Beer Battered Fish & Chips, etc.

I try and source local produce wherever possible to keep the production costs down. As long as the quality is acceptable this works very well.

It certainly works with potatoes..

I am trying to replicate, or be as authentic as I can be with, dishes like Sausage & Mash, Beer Battered Fish & Chips, etc.

I try and source local produce wherever possible to keep the production costs down. As long as the quality is acceptable this works very well.

That is an industry point of view ... Not a consumer

That is an industry point of view ... Not a consumer

Yes - I fully accept that.

As an individual you can raise the bar and pay what you choose to get the quality you want.

Where I am you could not get Western food 4 years ago. Whilst I love Thai food I do like something more than a 7/11 burger if I want Western food - 4 years ago that is all that was available. For locals (and more importantly visitors to the area) to be able to have the sort of dishes I mentioned (at a sensible price for a reasonable quality) is quite valuable.

So true!

So you have exhausted all the varieties of thai vegetables (200 of them) ?

That very thought is exhausting.

And you have come to the conclusion that eating imported / non indigenous no nutriments no taste veggies were better for you than any of this 200?

Um, I think we've concluded that we like what we like. However, you do have a point.

They're not indigenous to Europe either!

Yes you are absolutely right 8000 years ago they were in South America and imported in Europe "only" 5 centuries ago.

What I meant is the climate and soil is not right for it and everyone has understood that it is a temperate climate vegetable.

Yes you are absolutely right 8000 years ago they were in South America and imported in Europe "only" 5 centuries ago.

What I meant is the climate and soil is not right for it and everyone has understood that it is a temperate climate vegetable.

Potatoes ship fairly well - they store well, and they are not sensitive, like broccoli or soft fruit. The only reason for their cost here, then, surely, is the low local demand.

They are more common, I think, in Malaysia - I have no trouble finding Aloo Gobi here!

SC