British Celebrity Gail Porter On Spending Time At The Treatment Centre 'The Cabin' In Chiang Mai

webfact

British Celebrity Gail Porter on Spending time at the Treatment Centre 'The Cabin' in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- The British newspapers recently broke the news that well known celebrity Gail Porter was seeking addiction treatment at a treatment clinic in Northern Thailand. Both the Daily Mail and the Daily Record reported that Gail Porter, a famous TV presenter and former model, was spending time at The Cabin in Chiang Mai.

Porter received widespread media coverage due to a high profile breakdown and subsequent suicide attempt. She was sectioned and sought treatment in the UK but according to an interview conducted at The Cabin it wasn’t until she came to Thailand that she finally overcome her inner demons, “In this two weeks I feel I have achieved more than I did in six weeks in rehab in the UK.

I’ve got space I’ve got people to talk to about different aspects of the 12 steps and people who are experts in mindfulness and spirituality. Most of the people here have had problems themselves so you don’t feel out of place but the best thing is the space and the peace,” she said.

A spokesperson for The Cabin confirmed that a number of celebrities have been there for treatment but refused to reveal their identities. Porter is unusual in that she has spoken honestly and openly about her problems with addiction and mental health issues and her decision to seek treatment in Thailand.

Another British tabloid favourite Pete Doherty famously travelled to Wat Tham Krabok, a temple which forces addicts to drink a potion which makes them vomit, in a bid to kick his heroin habit. By his own admission he only lasted a few days but the more upmarket treatment options on offer in Thailand are increasingly popular because they cost substantially less than they would in the West.

According to Scottish newspaper The Daily Record Porter, who is famous in the UK for having her image projected onto the House of Commons by a men’s magazine, engaged in activities at The Cabin including elephant riding and weightlifting.

The Daily Mail quoted Porter as claiming that she felt better after returning from Chiang Mai then she had at any point in the previous two years and saying that, ‘It seems ridiculous that I had to go to Thailand to get better treatment than I received in a hospital ten minutes from my house.’

Thailand has always had a reputation as a hedonistic destination but it seems that an increasing number of tourists are actually coming here in order to seek treatment for their addictions. In a video interview conducted during her time in Chiang Mai Porter said she would be recommending a trip to The Cabin to some of her friends in London,

“I would definitely recommend it. I’ve got a few friends who could definitely benefit from getting away from the madness of London and coming to Thailand and focussing on themselves.”

tvn.png

-- 2011-08-19

Wonder how many more Celebs use 'The Cabin'?

It is a top notch, beautiful place with what I hear is a competent staff. Well hidden in town too. I'm not affiliated whatsoever, just have seen there grounds and meet a couple of there employees.

Hope they didn't spray the beds there with some nasty insects repellent..

Having moved from the UK to work at "The Cabin" Chiang Mai; I have first class knowledge that it is in fact a top notch organisation with a treatment regime that is right up there with the best in the world. The accomodations and facilities are 5***** and no I am not being rewarded for posting this. Why don't I still work there? I had some of my own personal issues to deal with which have been dealt with now. Would I work there again? You bet!! Well done Gail Porter and anyone for that matter who has the courage to face their dominant fears!!

Ifor Parry

Edited by Tywais
Changed font for better readability

I thought these programs were supposed to be anonymous and stress humility. I find neither in her comments.

Quite. Why can't these fragile failures just pull themselves together and get on with it!?

The British Army made a man of me. It also made a man of my wife.

Don't hesitate!

Maybe after she gets about 5 years of sobriety under her belt she can judge one program or another ... until then she should have no comment whatever.

And while I care because she is a human being, I don't give a sh*t whether she is a so-called celebrity or not. Like others have noted, never heard of her.

Nice advertorial ;-) Do 'C' list celebrities often invite journalists into the place where they are getting rehab for an interview?

If she wants space and peace in a drug free environment then a camping holiday in the Scottish Highlands would do the job for far less money.

British Celebrity Gail Porter blah, blah, blah...

Never heard of the woman....

Maybe you've heard of Google though? Or Wikipedia?

Anyway I had not heard of her either, but I find the news about "The Cabin" quite interesting. I didn't know that there's a top notch treatment center right here in CM.