Lampang

tink2mutt

Hello TV Forum members,

This is my first post so please excuse any unintentional gaffs.

I have been reading the excellent forum topics for some time however.

I will be retiring with the good lady next year in Lampang City.Anyone live in Lampang? If so what is the town like?

I have searched past threads but not much info on Lampang.

Thank you.

I don't know how many foreigners live in Lampang, but I know 30-40 of them and there are a lot more. A mixed bag of jobs and nationalities and everyone (who wants to) seems to have a busy social life. It's a cosy place to live as all the negative types of development are sucked away by Chiangmai. It has everything you will need and, if there is anything special, Chiangmai is only an hour's drive away.

I think you will be pleased with your decision.

I have only holidayed in Lampang for 10 days but had a great time.There was plenty to do every day.My 2 favourites were the visit to the National Park which is miles and miles and miles out of town but when you get there has hot springs, sensational massage and you can cook your own eggs!The other favourite is the funky ceramics shop where the mosaics on the walls were just breath-taking.Oh and did I mention eating and having a few beer changs alongside the river every night and and that morning we gave alms to the 1700 monks and what about the one hour drive to the flower show in Chiang Mai...Lampang..I'll be back!!!!

Thank you for those encouraging posts!! makes me feel good about the future move.

I have been to Lampang City 3 times now - but just for holidays. it will be a lot different living there.

I will be travelling a bit in the future and it is important that my wife is close to her family while I am away.

I hope there is a health club or good gym in town. I have only found a Muay Thai training gym so far.

Cheers

My GF is from Lampang(Ko Kha to be specific) and her sister and aunt/uncle still live there. It is a very nice place. Quiet. Does get wicked hot and the bugs can be a little relentless but a beautiful area and you learn to adapt.

I have not seen many foreigners there however I have only been there twice with her for a week at a time to check on her house so my input and experience is limited but my GF knows the in's and out.

PM me if you have specific questions and I will let her respond.

If not, no problem and best of luck

Hi Jafo,

That is a coincidence - my wife is from Sum Nyam which is very close to Ko Kha. I spent last New Years eve there. It was very interesting- and I was definately the only farang there.

The locals just kept staring at me - it was a lot of fun and I finally got to see the real Thailand.

I want to live in lampang City however as village life is too quiet for me.

Thanks for the reply. cheers

I hope there is a health club or good gym in town. I have only found a Muay Thai training gym so far.

Cheers

There is a gym in the pool complex at Kanok Wimarn housing estate and another one at one of the golf driving ranges.

Hi Jafo,

That is a coincidence - my wife is from Sum Nyam which is very close to Ko Kha. I spent last New Years eve there. It was very interesting- and I was definately the only farang there.

The locals just kept staring at me - it was a lot of fun and I finally got to see the real Thailand.

Tink,

Yes very close. You caught it on a good time of year. Nice mild weather. When I visited I was definitely the only foreigner around. When out in the country it is an entirely different lifestyle side of Thailand. There was nothing western to be found. I am with you. Country living like that would not be my cup of tea. I need a bit of a mix of a small city close by to go to the movies, bowl, bookstore,coffee, internet and like you a gym.

Good Luck and Welcome to Thailand. Again if you need anything let me know. I will do my best to help.

Cheers

There is a gym in the pool complex at Kanok Wimarn housing estate and another one at one of the golf driving ranges.

Great news! Obvoiusly the choice will be limited but all I need is one good gym with a pool and i will be set. thanks for the tip.

Hi Jafo,

Tink,

Yes very close. You caught it on a good time of year. Nice mild weather. When I visited I was definitely the only foreigner around. When out in the country it is an entirely different lifestyle side of Thailand. There was nothing western to be found. I am with you. Country living like that would not be my cup of tea. I need a bit of a mix of a small city close by to go to the movies, bowl, bookstore,coffee, internet and like you a gym.

Good Luck and Welcome to Thailand. Again if you need anything let me know. I will do my best to help.

Hey jafo.

Thanks for the offer - I will contact you if I need anything - i am back there in october for some more research before moving.

By the way, congratulations for having a G/F from that area. it is my opinion that the ladies from this area are the most beautiful in Thailand and they definately have "Jai Dee".

Take care and cheers.

I lived in MaeMo for 2 1/2 years, its 10/15 miles out from Lampang, near the power station,and loved the town. As others have said, plenty to see and do, some nightlife, lovely girls, quiet and laid back. A couple of good hospitals and good hotels if you need them. Chiang Mai isnt far away when you need a bit more. You could do worse than Lampang.

I lived in MaeMo for 2 1/2 years, its 10/15 miles out from Lampang, near the power station,and loved the town. As others have said, plenty to see and do, some nightlife, lovely girls, quiet and laid back. A couple of good hospitals and good hotels if you need them. Chiang Mai isnt far away when you need a bit more. You could do worse than Lampang.

Great stuff! Now I am feeling a lot more confident about the suitability of the town and the area.

I believe there is a very good golf course at MaeMo.

I asked my wife about the air quality during burning season and she has no idea what I am talking about. "air not good? - what you mean?"

Anyway I can vamoose out of town if the smoke gets too bad at that time of year.

Cheers.

Great stuff! Now I am feeling a lot more confident about the suitability of the town and the area.

I believe there is a very good golf course at MaeMo.

I asked my wife about the air quality during burning season and she has no idea what I am talking about. "air not good? - what you mean?"

Anyway I can vamoose out of town if the smoke gets too bad at that time of year.

Cheers.

The golf course is owned by EGAT, i'm not a golfer but it looked a nice course. Where the EGAT course starts there are some lovely gardens, and a good size grassy slope people slide down on bits of cardboard and plastic.....great fun! It overlooks the old mine, they have built a new view point and gardens further up near the mountains now.

The air quality never got very bad there, some burning up in the mountains but it never seemed to drop down very much, and i lived at the foot of the mountains.