Rca Royal City Avenue

wellred

Hi all,

I tried searching for more info on this but seemed there wasn't anything available about RCA other than some condos for sale. So i've changed things up on my trip and as it happens I will be spending around a week in Bangkok, not all in 1 go though.

Sure I can spend my evenings in Nana and Soi Cowboy but to be honest I like what i've read about RCA. Seems to be a more local crowd and still plenty of clubs and bars. My question is are these establishments farang friendly or will I get trouble there?

Thanks

I've been there many times, but always feel a bit of an old fart (I'm late 30's) and out of place as the crowd is predominantly young Thai.

I've never even come close to having a problem there, but I did see a young farang bloke getting absolutely battered by about 5 security blokes close to Route 66

I pulled one aside and asked why the hammering. Apparently, he'd tried to walk off with a bottle of whisky that he hadn't paid for. Serves him right, if you ask me.

A lot of farang tourists seem to find their way to RCA these days, at least when I was there last in April. They now have a farang surcharge at one of the clubs (Slim? Route 66?).

There's even bargirls hawking there now.

Imo, it was lot more fun when I was there 2-3 years ago. Maybe try the Ekamai clubs instead, it's also an older crowd.

A lot of farang tourists seem to find their way to RCA these days, at least when I was there last in April. They now have a farang surcharge at one of the clubs (Slim? Route 66?).

I haven't been to RCA for at least a year but that is a huge change if true. What exactly do you mean by surcharge? Cover at the entrance? Overcharging? Hollywood in Ratchada used to be really bad about this, lying about prices of whiskey to foreigners, not telling them there is no cover charge if you buy whiskey and then getting them to buy a bottle inside after paying cover, etc.

Anyway from the times I've been there it is fine for foreigners. If you're dressed like a bum they might not let you in though. Have seen some foreigners try to get in wearing flip flops, shorts, and beer chang shirts and get rejected.