How Long To Boil An Egg?....In Thailand?

coolhandjoe

Common belief is that it takes three minutes to boil an egg.

In a real world ie: a pan full of boiling water ready to go and a small egg served with a gooey yolk great for soldiers.

Having recently stayed in various thai hotels i believe that Thais do not know how to boil an egg!

The record length of time for which i've had to wait for my kai dom sup sup(hard boiled egg) is 1hr 7minutes I DO NOT LIE.

I urge you to order a hard boiled egg and time it next time you stay in a hotel in Thailand, then post your findings here.

They are healthier than the cold fried goo that is served in most establishments.

BBQ egg sold by street/beach vendors are excluded from this investigation.

This is a serious thread and a subject of much fustration for me.

:jap:

This is a serious thread and a subject of much fustration for me.

Is this truly a serious thread?

Wish waiting an hour for a boiled egg was my only frustration is life and I`m sure no one could be bothered visiting all the hotels in Thailand doing a survey on how long they take to boil an egg.

Too many variables, soft medium or hard, lid on or off, cold egg or room temp...

I suggest you take a photo of one that you made yourself and bring it with you when you order. They say a photo of a boiled egg is worth a thousand words (saved trying to explain it to a 18 year waiter).

It all depends what the altitude is. Where I am from 5,280 feet above sea level it will take longer to boil and egg. Maybe the hotels you stay in have the kitchen on the upper floors making altitude a factor.

Edited by moe666

First off this should be moved to the food section.Now to properly boil an egg to get a hard boiled egg do the following.Put cold water in pot,add a little salt,add eggs,bring to a boil,cover and remove from heat,let stand 15 minutes with top on.Drain water put eggs onm counter to cool.Once cool crack.peel and eat.As to how long it takes?Never timed from start to eating.

Edited by blue eyes

This is a serious thread and a subject of much fustration for me

Valium is your friend.

The record length of time for which i've had to wait for my kai dom sup sup(hard boiled egg) is 1hr 7minutes I DO NOT LIE

Common sense would dictate that one would imagine they'd simply forgotten as opposed to boiling the bastard for over an hour.

( Note to self. At my next visa extension if the immi officer makes waves point out that there are far more worthier targets among the western community than me and in fact I am boringly normal )

1. Boil water.

2. When the water is boiling briskly, place the eggs in the submerged water.

3. Set the timer to just 3 minutes; don’t overcook! For a larger egg cook it may be 3-5 minutes.

4. Remove eggs from the boiling water and put them under cool running water for 30-45 seconds to stop the cooking process.

(For hard boiled 9 minutes and leave in cold water for 10minutes afterwards)

How to boil an egg?

Drag Mrs. T away from her gardening and demand: "boil me some eggs, woman."

"<deleted> off, do it yourself"

Get dressed, drive to Ruom Chok and order boiled eggs, toast and coffee at The Coffee Bus.

Consume, return home and say, "that was great, thanks for the suggestion, honey."

Isn't that how everyone does it?

T

The record length of time for which i've had to wait for my kai dom sup sup(hard boiled egg) is 1hr 7minutes I DO NOT LIE.

The reason for this lengthy wait is because you actually asked for 'boiled egg - max' (sup or สุบ means 'max it'), as opposed to 'boiled egg - well done' which would involve the word suk สุก)

:)

Simon

"<deleted> off, do it yourself"

Your missus seems to have a rather foul way about her.

Does she suggest this activity in Thai [far more amusing] or the "other" language?

In response to your question, she, demurely, says to tell you the same thing. And bring back some boiled eggs, chop, chop.

1. Boil water.

3. Set the timer to just 3 minutes; don't overcook! For a larger egg cook it may be 3-5 minutes.

4. Remove eggs from the boiling water and put them under cool running water for 30-45 seconds to stop the cooking process.

Er, step 2 ie putting room temp eggs into briskly boiling water increases risk of cracked eggs? Better to put egss in water and then bring it all to a boil altogether.

1.put eggs in A pan of water

2.Turn the heat on

3.When the water boils turn the heat off

4.Leave the eggs in the pan for 4 minotes

If jumbo leave in for 30 more seconds,if small eggs leave them in 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Works for me every time.I eat em once A week

From my cookbook...DAD'S OWN COOKBOOK.

The Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg

Place cold eggs in a saucepan or pot and cover with cold water.

Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.

Simmer for 12 minutes. Plunge the eggs immediately into cold

water to stop the cooking process and to make them easy to peel.

After eating my TW'S hard boiled eggs one time ( cracked,hard to peel ).

I showed her how to boil an egg. She was all smiles.:rolleyes:

Soft boiled eggs.

1.Fill a medium saucepan 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil on High heat.

2.Reduce the heat to Medium and gently lower the eggs into the water with a slotted spoon.

3.Simmer for 3min for regular soft-boiled eggs or 4min if you like the yolks a bit harder.

4.Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.Hold the hot eggs in a cloth or a doubled

paper towel and gently crack the shell at the top with the back of a spoon.

Peel away enough shell so you can ease the spoon into the egg.

Scoop out the yolk and carefully scrape the white from the inside.

Serve immediately with toast and beer Chang or bloody mary.:blink:

"kai dom sup sup"

kai = egg

dom = to smell

sup = to slice

you want to smell a sliced egg ?

If I ascertain you meant DTOME then that would be boiled, but sup still is "to slice"

or possibly you meant Sook Sook = well done

In any of these variables it's still not up to how long it took the boil the egg, it's up to how long it took for them to get around to doing it.

Get your own eggs from Foodland or any other supermarket & boil them in the tea pot which many hotels have in the rooms.

"kai dom sup sup"

kai = egg

dom = to smell

sup = to slice

you want to smell a sliced egg ?

If I ascertain you meant DTOME then that would be boiled, but sup still is "to slice"

or possibly you meant Sook Sook = well done

In any of these variables it's still not up to how long it took the boil the egg, it's up to how long it took for them to get around to doing it.

Get your own eggs from Foodland or any other supermarket & boil them in the tea pot which many hotels have in the rooms.

Invaluable advice, cheers. Now i know where i've been going wrong all this time!

Makes me wonder though where else i've been going wrong.:D

My favorite breakie when in a hurry....

boil 6 eggs somtimes more when really hungry..

boil to desired softness for me on the hard side is better but take out two or three and keep them soft for later...

peel and add all the eggs still hot into big bowl mix in loads of butter and salt mix all this up to the consistansy off egg salad and eat hot while butter is still melting right from the bowl....AWSOME.... :D

My fussy daughter wanted hard boiled eggs at a cafe - they made 4 attempts of varying lengths and each time it was runny (first two times it was practically raw!). Gave up in te end - good news I had 6 soft boiled egg (failed attempts - I couldn't eat the raw ones otherwise it would have been 8) and it wasn't on the bill lol!

1. Boil water.

3. Set the timer to just 3 minutes; don't overcook! For a larger egg cook it may be 3-5 minutes.

Er, step 2 ie putting room temp eggs into briskly boiling water increases risk of cracked eggs? Better to put egss in water and then bring it all to a boil altogether.

correct. Starting with the eggs in cold water is safer. from the moment the water is boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and boil about 4.5 minutes, then it is just to the point where the yolk is still waxy but the white is hard. Hard boiled and runny are both a no-no in raro's cuisine B)

I found a comprehensive guide for this seemingly easy task - Hope it would be of use > http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A592481

Boiling an Egg - The Method

Firstly, boil enough water in the kettle to cover the egg. While the water is heating up, prepare the rest of the breakfast. If you are removing the egg straight from the fridge, them prick the rounded end of the egg with a pin. This prevents the egg from cracking when put into the water.

When the water has boiled, pour the required quantity into the pan. Turn on the heat, and wait until the water boils furiously. Now add the salt and then you put your egg into the water, taking care not to burn your fingers. Try not to drop the egg in, as the shell will crack, causing the egg white to spill everywhere in the pan. You can use a slotted spoon if you don't want to get too close to the boiling water.

At this point it might be useful to ask the person who is having breakfast with you, or yourself, 'how you would like your egg?' (which is incidentally also a common chat-up line, used by the unoriginal to the unattainable). There will be a number of responses, but the most common answers deal with how long (approximately) the egg should be boiled for. Timing should start when the water comes back to the boil after you put the egg in.

The Four States of Egg

Soft Boiled

This is the egg with a runny yolk and a lightly-cooked white. The egg should be boiled for no longer than three minutes for this state to occur. This applies, regardless of how many eggs there are in the pan. The soft boiled egg causes the most problems, as there are many questions due to the timing and their safety. British guidelines state that those in vulnerable groups, ie, very young children, those who are pregnant and the elderly, should not eat this type of egg. On the other hand, this does take the fun out of consuming it, as you cannot have 'Eggy Soldiers' with them (see below).

Hard Boiled

This is the egg with a solid white and a completely solid yolk. Considered the safest, but also the less fun option. Boil for about eight minutes. This state of boiled egg inevitably causes problems due to timing, because if you remove the egg from the water too soon, you will end up with an egg with a soft centre.

Soft, but not Too Soft

This is generally regarded to be a solid white and a thick yolk which looks like it is coagulating around its borders. About a 4 or 5-minute egg.

A Three-minute Egg

Pretty self-explanatory.

Once the egg has been cooked for the required time, it is then time to remove it from the hot water. Use a slotted spoon to remove it, and carefully place it in an egg cup. If you like, you could place an egg cosy3 over the egg to keep it warm.

Problems at Altitude

Boiling eggs becomes progressively more difficult the higher up you are, due to the lower air pressures in higher altitudes. As a result, if you are living up 'high', then you would have to alter boiling times. So:

•At 5,000 feet/1,800 metres above sea level - it's about double the required boiling time

•At 9,000 feet/3,000 metres above sea level - it's probably best not to bother. The water will boil and evaporate before your egg has even begun to cook. At this point, it may be best to consider an omelette or a scrambled egg