No Takers For The Jetskis.

We are now on our third day in mid Chareng and having a good time on the beach.

What makes the experience so pleasant is a total absence of jet skis!

Just on our beach area there are 14 jetskis and so far have seen only one customer.

Looks like the message to avoid these guys in Phuket and here has finally got through.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's unfortunate that it's come to this because people obviously want to ride the jet ski's. hope that tourists do in fact avoid them though, can't say that i'd miss the early morning and late afternoon jetski convoys or the bad attitudes or the constant scamming, sucks that everyone has to suffer because of a few rotten apples.

it's unfortunate that it's come to this because people obviously want to ride the jet ski's. hope that tourists do in fact avoid them though, can't say that i'd miss the early morning and late afternoon jetski convoys or the bad attitudes or the constant scamming, sucks that everyone has to suffer because of a few rotten apples.

i really know what you mean about the bad attitudes. It seems to be a precondition of being one of the jet ski lads that you must put over what the Thais would percieve as a "big mafia" image. They are sirly, rude and aloof and the sooner the realise that theres no living to be made scamming tourists and do one the better the island will be. I'm sure they would be already long gone if it was'nt for the police being so "lenient" with them.

You are missing the point, the reason Jetski rentals are dropping , is because they put taxi drivers in charge. wink.gif

Great!:( So now, as you are wandering along the shore with your loved one, you can expect to hear those immortal words "where you go???"

Do jetskis have horns? That would make it really authentic.:D

As an aside, it is rather sad to think that as the rental of these things is down, then so is the income, and so are the scams. And all those nice people who help the tourists out with the scams must be feeling feeling the pinch too. :whistling:

Good riddance!

bike will be next?

Nothing against bikes mate...just idiots who ride around without helmets....rolleyes.gif

well they rip you off to what i have being hearing with some kind of problem when you returned the bike?

Edited by doingok

Good riddance!

bike will be next?

Nothing against bikes mate...just idiots who ride around without helmets....rolleyes.gif

well they rip you off to what i have being hearing with some kind of problem when you returned the bike?

Jetski scams can go to thousands of Baht. Even tens of thousands! A dodgy bike rental might cost you a few hundred ...IF .... it happens. Which is unlikely. I know many people who have rented bikes, looked after them, and had no problems at all.:D

fingers crossed then lol?

Why fingers crossed? Rent from a reputable place, pay the market rate, don't leave your passport as a deposit, inspect the bike and agree that with the owner, show some respect to the owner, look after the bike (and yourself) and you will be fine. No different from Hertz really.:D

Why fingers crossed? Rent from a reputable place, pay the market rate, don't leave your passport as a deposit, inspect the bike and agree that with the owner, show some respect to the owner, look after the bike (and yourself) and you will be fine. No different from Hertz really.:D

and take photos of the bike with the date on the photo before you take the bike, visual proof for back up

and take photos of the bike with the date on the photo before you take the bike, visual proof for back up

Anyone who's renting out their bike in an honest manner won't have a problem with this at all. If they do then run...run quickly....

yep got that sorted i think i will be looking to buy one to once there saves all the hassle for 6 months plus can take it of the island to

Anyone who's renting out their bike in an honest manner won't have a problem with this at all. If they do then run...run quickly....

exactly and no passport just a deposit

yep got that sorted i think i will be looking to buy one to once there saves all the hassle for 6 months plus can take it of the island to

good idea, but in the interim to get around you will probably hire. if you are going to do that, I have hired while holidaying on Samui from the same place for the last 4 years and they are cool. The place is in Chaweng, go to Chaweng Regent Resort it's in main street, coming out of Chaweng heading north (right) walk down about 100 metres down facing the markets, there are a couple of shops renting bikes, the first one will ask for your passport, the second one will not, but will ask for 4000 THB deposit, that's the place. Had no worries with them nice people

good idea, but in the interim to get around you will probably hire. if you are going to do that, I have hired while holidaying on Samui from the same place for the last 4 years and they are cool. The place is in Chaweng, go to Chaweng Regent Resort it's in main street, coming out of Chaweng heading north (right) walk down about 100 metres down facing the markets, there are a couple of shops renting bikes, the first one will ask for your passport, the second one will not, but will ask for 4000 THB deposit, that's the place. Had no worries with them nice people

cheers will keep that in mind there is on that advertise on here automatic motorbike to rent per month(2000THB) or per day(100THB)Thursday, 27 January 2011

<br style="clear: both; ">Yamaha_mio_main2.jpg100 baht per day or 2000 baht per month No Need for passport, only money deposit *Bikes come with the CTPL insurance wich covers YOUR medical expenses up to 15000 baht (you'll need to obtain by... more.jpg

Ko Samui, 2000 THB

anyone use this company?

plus will i be able to get insurance no problem for the bike and get it my name?

I like the jet ski boys… I like the fact they don't get all subservient with the cretins. Those ones that come with that ever present western sense of superiority.

Rather a strange comment?

I see in PhuketWan the situation there has got so desperate that the Australian government, fed up with the lack of official action, is making and releasing a Youtube video warning tourists off the jetskis.

Good riddance!

bike will be next?

I have never had a problem with bikes on Samui or KPN. Koh Tao was a slightly different issue - First, I did not take my passport (just a photocopy) and they did not want my Thai driving licence as security.

Second, when I returned the bike the woman spent 40 minutes looking at old scratches trying to blame me - until I showed her the photos on my camera.

On Samui - I never needed the photos, or id - too much competition I guess. They are just happy to rent one out.