Speeding In Thailand

jonik

There are speed limits but I can't remember what they are. If you keep to sensible speeds you should be OK. There are farang who talk about being 'fined on the spot', by which they are suggesting that the cash doesn't reach the public purse. I have no first hand knowledge of this except to say that, when I was once pulled over for being a bit quick away from some lights, I just got a ticking off. Having a car full of Thais may have helped me there.

As I said, just drive at a reasonable speed and you should be OK. As with so many things in LOS. if you make yourself stand out from the crowd more than you have to, someone will notice. If you are stopped, I would say that the golden rule is to be pleasant and pay up the few Baht that you may be asked to rather than have a showdown at the local nick.

Always keep a few "reds" handy, and hand them over when you get stopped for speeding with a smile on your face. Better than the UK system.

Watch out when driving on the tollway just past the airport in Bangers, they're always hiding out there before the Rangsit toll booth

What happens if you overspeed the ^ limit ^ on the highway in thailand.

Jail or just a lot of $$$$$$.......

Anyone who can describe this..!

:o

Sure there's speed limits in Thailand and they have signs along the road just like in farang land...The only difference is they don't use radar much or for that matter photo radar....(This happened to my friend) On the highway the cash cow is the check stop (much more efficient) However some times if you're driving along in a car and pass them they will pull you over (depending on the make of car) and get their cashola right there.

I personally have only been squeezed for speeding when going through the city on my bike @ 150 km's, they were pissed and as they couldn't catch me there, they dropped by the house for their cash 1 k/baht (as I said they were pissed) anyway we had a laugh and they left like nothing happened with me promising to be extra good next time.

not > 120 km/hr for car

noy > 80 km/hr for truck or lorry

Some highways such as the route no. 3 going to Pattaya.Keep left while driving.

If you try to learn the limitaions when you are in the new environemnt and respect the community rules. Don't break it. You can stay here fine.We have remote radar on toll way, expressway to look at the racing car or over speedy.

On the road between Lampang and Bkk, there are regular checkpoints between Thoen and Tak, and around Kamphaeng Phet. I get pulled over usually every trip.... 200 baht on the spot, official receipt given.

No sweat. :o

Have travelled up and down highway no.2 many times and have not been booked myself but regularly see the highway patrol parked near the median strips where you do u turn , stoping cars and booking them for speeding, and have never seen a radar gun.

Just wondering about their method of detection. Do they have radar guns or do they just stop anybody that looks like their going too fast. Has anybody actualy been shown their reading on a radar gun.

What happens if you overspeed the ^ limit ^ on the highway in thailand.

Jail or just a lot of $$$$$$.......

Anyone who can describe this..!

:o

Sure there's speed limits in Thailand and they have signs along the road just like in farang land...The only difference is they don't use radar much or for that matter photo radar....(This happened to my friend) On the highway the cash cow is the check stop (much more efficient) However some times if you're driving along in a car and pass them they will pull you over (depending on the make of car) and get their cashola right there.

I personally have only been squeezed for speeding when going through the city on my bike @ 150 km's, they were pissed and as they couldn't catch me there, they dropped by the house for their cash 1 k/baht (as I said they were pissed) anyway we had a laugh and they left like nothing happened with me promising to be extra good next time.

150 kph through a city :D And you think it's a laughing matter. Grow up!

Only stopped once and my wife told me not to speak any Thai.

She explained to the officer that I was a stupid farang who did not understand the speed limit.... :D

The policeman must have felt sorry for me, he just smiled and waved me on! :o:D !

Only ever been stopped once for speeding and that was on the Kamphaeng Phet - Tak stretch of road a few months back.

I got waved over thinking the cop was going to do me for riding in the right hand land so I was therefor surprised when he said I was speeding, even though I was probably in fact doing my usual cruising speed of 100kph anyway. But I noticed he didn't have any radar gun or equipment so when he told me I was speeding I replied that my engine was 'sia' so I couldn't have been speeding. He just basically then said 'Oh! OK. Carry on'.

Usually I'll get stopped for riding in the right hand lanes on the outer Bkk roads and get the usual scare tactics of being told to pay 1000b on the spot or at the police station.

I tell them that I normally pay 200b at the police stations so it's better that we both go there...........(I'll pause a few seconds to give the cop some thinking time)then offer to pay a 100b on the spot fine (looks at watch) because I'm a bit pushed for time. :D Haggling and corruption rolled into one. :D

One time, I got waved over for using an overpass and showed the cop my licence, which was in a clear plastic wallet along with a folded 100b note clearly visible behind the licence. I pointed to the note as I handed the licence to him but he just shook his head and proceeded to give me a sermon about not riding on overpasses. That was a bit of a surprise. :o

Last time it was either 400B at the station, or 100B on the spot.  :o

cv

That is right.

Just remember that the 100 baht does not entitle you to a receipt.

Anything more does, then the copper has to log the amount!!

PS The limit is generally 90kph, unless posted otherwise.