Driving To Malaysia

Kismet

Seeing as no one has answered I chip in this:-

From what I remember from a guy with a motorbike all entry visa insurance and vehicle registration can be done at the border.

Take all papers for the car, copy of book, copy of Thai insurance and your passport etc.

Maybe a read of this might put you off.:D

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/malaysia

From what I remember from a guy with a motorbike all entry visa insurance and vehicle registration can be done at the border.

Take all papers for the car, copy of book, copy of Thai insurance and your passport etc.

http://www.fco.gov.u...ceania/malaysia

Hmmm....... not sure I get your point. Article refers a lot to Eastern Sabah (Borneo) where it is a known fact that a lot of pirates from the Philippine Islands frequently scout the waters.

On the other hand, driving in Malaysia is a hundred times safer than in Thailand. Just remember to lock your doors and keep handbags, laptops etc out of sight.

http://www.fco.gov.u...ceania/malaysia

Hmmm....... not sure I get your point. Article refers a lot to Eastern Sabah (Borneo) where it is a known fact that a lot of pirates from the Philippine Islands frequently scout the waters.

On the other hand, driving in Malaysia is a hundred times safer than in Thailand. Just remember to lock your doors and keep handbags, laptops etc out of sight.

When I go on the site it is advice on Malaysia / and parts of Thailand, and that's where the guy is going.

It give's a general veiw I thought it might help the guy seeing as no one had answered.

Still no one has confirmed about the paperwork stuff.

Edited by Kwasaki

Some Finance Companies have their own rules. If it applies ask first,to get a Form, they hold the Blue Book. Well, that's what i read on the Plane going there.

I think I would probably fly, haven't read about everyone on here saying they have drove down through the South of Thailand.

When we were on a cruise around Thailand in the truck in the South there were more sign posts to Mosque than anything else.

We came down from the coast road onto H41 and ended up on H4 and a sign post to Songkhla, hold up my Mrs shouted throwing a fit, turn around now.

We got to Trang and that's as far as I have been South.

Some Finance Companies have their own rules. If it applies ask first,to get a Form, they hold the Blue Book. Well, that's what i read on the Plane going there.

If your car is still on finance, it isn't getting to go 'on holiday' any time soon.

When you have made all the payments and have the blue book, then you can think about it.

...certified English translation of rego required..you can get minimum insurance at the border, additional full comp also required which can be acquired later...ask at border

...vehicle must meet current standard of Malaysian requirements like hi level brake lights..

...depends which border you go through also..why not call Malaysian customs?

Car must be in ur name!!

BEFORE you go u need go to the land office an obtain a "purple" car registration book ( this is in English) This book is just the copy of ur thai Blue book. Cost about 80 baht or so. They will also give u two stickers (T) one goes on the back of the car, the other on ur windshield.

You will then at the border be instructed to have ur thai license number converted into English as stickers which goes on the back of ur care and then u obtain insurance at the border as well.

NOTE : if ur in the south u do not need the purple book but must have a Paper which is the English translation of ur Blue book.

Edited by phuketrichard