Buying A Honda Wave On Kpg

Bababooey

Am thinking about buying a motobike. I see that Honda Wave with quickstart lists for 38K baht. Are these prices negotiable? I want to buy the bike on KPG, too much of a hassle to bring it over from elsewhere.

Neither me or my Thai girlfriend of many years have a driver's license? Can a bike be registered if the owner doesn't have a license?

We only spend a few months a year on the island but it doesn't seem to make sense to pay 4K a month for an old bike when we can have a new one for 38K.

Are there any issues re registration renewal if we're not on KPG at expiration time? Can the registration be renewed elsewhere in Thailand?

Mods, perhaps this should be in the Moto sub-forum, feel free to move it but I stuck it here because perhaps registration rules are enforced differently on KPG than elsewhere.

Edited by Bababooey

I thought KPG it was some kind of non-Anglo-English term for finance.

For the OP, the prices are very slightly negotiable, I got 1k off on a discontinued product that hadn't been in production for nearly a year. 500 Baht or free helmets and/or jackets are more likely. I wouldn't concern myself too much over these discounts, more finding a place that is going to look after you for the next 10k kilometers.

Registration doesn't require a licence. Only a non-imm visa (although people have reported being able to purchase on a tourist visa) and certificate of residence/work permit. The shop should register for you, within a month by law, within 3 months in reality.

Why aren't you interested in getting a driving licence. A friend of mine recently was let off the hook by Thai police after an accident with a girl who had no licence. Why was he let off the hook? He had a licence, the girl didn't. Nothing else was considered. If you don't have a licence, any accident involving you is your fault. Plus you can use it to get Thai prices in many places.

Registration has got to be renewed in the province the bike is registered. If you're late, there's a small fine (about 10 baht). If you get stopped by the police with no tax, there is a small fine.

Now I see 'not on KPG' at the time of expiration - perhaps KPG isn't finance?

For the OP, the prices are very slightly negotiable, I got 1k off on a discontinued product that hadn't been in production for nearly a year. 500 Baht or free helmets and/or jackets are more likely. I wouldn't concern myself too much over these discounts, more finding a place that is going to look after you for the next 10k kilometers.

Thanks for your input Naboo!

My understanding is that there is just one dealership on Ko PhanGan located in Thongsala so looks like I'm locked into buying there.

Registration doesn't require a licence. Only a non-imm visa (although people have reported being able to purchase on a tourist visa) and certificate of residence/work permit. The shop should register for you, within a month by law, within 3 months in reality.

I have a retirement visa but not a certificate of residence. Can I register in my name? No problem putting in my girlfriend's name; I assume she only needs a Thai ID card?

Why aren't you interested in getting a driving licence. A friend of mine recently was let off the hook by Thai police after an accident with a girl who had no licence. Why was he let off the hook? He had a licence, the girl didn't. Nothing else was considered. If you don't have a licence, any accident involving you is your fault. Plus you can use it to get Thai prices in many places.

My understanding was that I needed an international Driver's license to apply for a Thai license. Thinking I would do this, I did get the international license a couple years ago, but I was lazy and never got the Thai license, my bad.

Not sure, but my New York license may have expired too.

Can I get a Thai license without an existing license elsewhere?

I have a retirement visa but not a certificate of residence. Can I register in my name? No problem putting in my girlfriend's name; I assume she only needs a Thai ID card?

The certificate of residence is very easy to get at an immigration office with some proof of the place where you live (personnaly the book of our house in my GF name and a letter from my GF stating I live there), it is not done right away though, but overnight.

Ask for 2 of these because if you'll need one for a thai driver license (see after),

Of course it is easy to put the bike in your GF name, with an ID card (not sure if she has to show some proof of residence though)

My understanding was that I needed an international Driver's license to apply for a Thai license. Thinking I would do this, I did get the international license a couple years ago, but I was lazy and never got the Thai license, my bad.

Not sure, but my New York license may have expired too.

Can I get a Thai license without an existing license elsewhere?

You dont really need an international driver's license to apply, it just makes things easier, because in this case you just have to pass a few quick tests and no theory or practical driving tests.

My international driver license was expired, so I had to pass everything like thai citizens do, it was easy even if no english was spoken even in Pattaya (the theory test avout the road laws is in english though).

You need to pass everything twice if you want a driver license for a motorbike AND a car. Total cost I think is about 400 baht. You'll have to come with your own car/motorbike (quite strange...) and the pratctival test is very very short.

I really really advise you to get your license, your insurance will not cover you if you drive without a license (and your international driver license is valid only for a 3 month stay), it takes only a day maximum, it is easy and it makes you more legal than most thai people, it really smooths things with the police too.

You'll find many useful info on thaivisa forum, I guess on top of the car forum.

Do it...

The biggest problem that I see with those small bikes are the hills From hadrin going toward thong sala,they are A little steep.I would want at least A 250cc

all the automatic scooters doing it without a problem and if you know how to shift the semi autos/ manual are also fine. A 250 on those roads you should be a skilled driver (road condition, sand in curves, kamikaze songthao, drunken/high farangs etc...)

Edited by Hili

Thanks for the feedback Fab!

Went to the Honda dealer today, but I was quoted a price of 42,500 instead of the price of 38,000 which is on the Honda website. I was told by a freind that this is normal for Ko PhanGan since there are shipping costs the dealer must incur. Is this normal? The price is an all in price which includes registartion, plates, and they'll throw in a basket and helmet.

It seems like it'll be easier to put the bike in my girlfriend's name. But to do so she'll need to change her iD to Ko PhanGan and they'll also be all small charge for the "family book", some sort of housing verification but that seems easy enough to handle.

Are there any unforseen consquences to my girlfriend's address change? Not concerned about voting but perhaps something to do with some land/house she owns elsewhere in Thailand or some other issue I haven't thought of.

Thanks for the input Fab!

As far as the had rin hills, I don't feel comfortable navigating those hills and on the very rare occasion that I want to go to Had rin, i'll take a songthew.