Satellite Tv And Cctv Wiring

dave111223

I'm in the process of building a new house and have some questions about setting Satellite TV and CCTV wiring:

Satellite TV:

The standard way to set this up seems to be to run a cable from the Satellite to a splitter and then to a separate set-top box in each room.

The problem with this is:

a ) (I think) UBC/True charges you extra for each box?

b ) If i want to mount a TV directly on the wall i've got to figure where to put the set-top box (looks ugly/out of place)

I'm wondering if there is a way to have a centralized single box and that splits to all rooms, but still allow each room to view a different channel (there are 8 TV plugs in the house).

CCTV:

I plan to run a separate coaxial cable to each room which will connect back to the DVR for the CCTV, so that you can view the CCTV from any room.

However i'm wondering if it's possible to set it up in a way so that you can change the channel on the TV and view a different camera. Instead of having to have all the TVs forced to view whichever single view the DVR is set to play.

I'm wondering if there is a way to have a centralized single box and that splits to all rooms, but still allow each room to view a different channel (there are 8 TV plugs in the house).

Yes it is called a Multiswitch (8 in + TV aerial and 8 out if you have 8 rooms) and to future proof your home you should consider up to 4 or more dish inputs (RG6 75ohm cable) to the Multiswitch and from the switch then a cable (RG6 75ohm cable) to each room / set top box. This will allow for multiple dishes / satellites in the future.

Use this link to see where on your house you should put the cables to - http://www.dishpointer.com/ - they have an iphone app as well.

Basically the dishes will mount on the southern side of the house (the satellites are over the equator) with a clear view to to the East and West.

Edited by jsat

As I understand it our OP want a hotel type system where there is no STB at each TV and satellite channels are actually selected using the TV remote.

Exactly. Any idea how they do this?

Yes it is called a Multiswitch (8 in + TV aerial and 8 out if you have 8 rooms) and to future proof your home you should consider up to 4 or more dish inputs (RG6 75ohm cable) to the Multiswitch and from the switch then a cable (RG6 75ohm cable) to each room / set top box. This will allow for multiple dishes / satellites in the future.

It seems like the Multiswitch is just a cable splitter and you'd still need a set-top box in each room?

Edited by dave111223

As I understand it our OP want a hotel type system where there is no STB at each TV and satellite channels are actually selected using the TV remote.

It's not very exciting: they just have what amounts to a bank of receivers (official or unofficial), one for each channel they want to rebroadcast. Then they just link the RF outputs into the internal coax. This is how cable TV works also.

Much better to use the system described by jsat , with a receiver in each room that needs one. That way you will get the best possible picture quality on each screen.

It's not very exciting: they just have what amounts to a bank of receivers (official or unofficial), one for each channel they want to rebroadcast. Then they just link the RF outputs into the internal coax. This is how cable TV works also.

Much better to use the system described by jsat , with a receiver in each room that needs one. That way you will get the best possible picture quality on each screen.

They are called signal injectors. Each receiver is on a different channel (cctv is typically composite so it will need and rf modulator to assign a channel). The injector feed a distribution amp and splitters out to the TVs. Basically, you make the house a mini-cable plant.

On the other hand, some Sat TV receivers will allow multiple outputs so several TVs can use the same box.

You might find IP TV is cheaper then doing it via RF (cable).

.....some Sat TV receivers will allow multiple outputs so several TVs can use the same box.

Watching different channels? I've never seen such a receiver.

Don't quite see what the advantage would be over having multiple receivers anyway.

Thanks, it might be worth doing that for some rooms where i want a TV on the wall with no cabinet (so no where to put the set-top box)

.....some Sat TV receivers will allow multiple outputs so several TVs can use the same box.

Watching different channels? I've never seen such a receiver.

Don't quite see what the advantage would be over having multiple receivers anyway.

My parents in the US have a centralized receiver that outputs two channels at the same time (so they have some TVs in the house on 1 output, and other TVs on the 2nd output). Allowing you to watch 2 different channels at the same time.

They said that they could have got a receiver with more outputs but they feel 2 was enough and didn't want to spend more. So i was wondering if anything like this was available in Thailand.

There are some very low cost set top boxes around some less than 1000BHT unless you want HD and PVR facilites, so you could mix to save costs. are you actually going to have 8 TVs or just installing for 8 just in case for latter. If you google Sattelite TV thailand and do a bit or research you will find a solution I am sure.

My parents in the US have a centralized receiver that outputs two channels at the same time (so they have some TVs in the house on 1 output, and other TVs on the 2nd output). Allowing you to watch 2 different channels at the same time.

They said that they could have got a receiver with more outputs but they feel 2 was enough and didn't want to spend more. So i was wondering if anything like this was available in Thailand.

Interesting. Never came across those in Europe, possibly because it was cheaper to fit banks of standard receivers. I dont suppose they are cheap, and you would suffer from the picture quality loss inherent with having to use RF distribution also.

If they are available in the US I would expect them to be available here though.

Interesting. Never came across those in Europe, possibly because it was cheaper to fit banks of standard receivers. I dont suppose they are cheap, and you would suffer from the picture quality loss inherent with having to use RF distribution also.

If they are available in the US I would expect them to be available here though.

Here's an example of the 2 output ones (see "DUO" receivers):

http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/default.aspx

I haven't been able to find anything more than 2 though.