Thai Paste

ShopBoy

I need some help to get the names of Thai Paste where you see them in a typical paste shop in the local Thai market.

They have different kind of paste can some foodie help to enlighten me on the paste names and their usage.

Curry pastes-used to make curry, unsurprisingly.

Do you know the Thai names for the paste ?

bkkjames -what a stupid reply .Do try to read the op's request,first , and then try to understand it..When you ,finally do(if you do), answer the op's question,without trying to be a smart- arse . The op was asking for the Thai names. Now ,we use a brand called Kanokwan. Sorry, I have none "in stock" at the moment .But they will tell you ,in English ,as well as Thai,what "Gang" Each different one makes ,and how to make it. There is another brand ,that we use -brand name GLOBO,they make a big range of curry pastes, and all their directions are both, in English ,and Thai. Both these brands are sold in every supermarket in Thailand, Sorry ,I cannot read Thai, though I do know what each one does , if a Thai tells me the ThaI name.However ,both these brand names let you make superb meals. I hope this helps you, Best Wishes ,Good Cooking ,Bill

Ok Mr Bill; I'll remember to write down all the names of curry paste the next time I am in the store and report back. In fact your post has inspired me (and hopefully the OP) into making an unscheduled trip there today cause now you have really raised my curiosity. For 12 years I have never looked at the brand name, just grabbed the red, penang, yellow or green ones on display ;)

Is the OP referring to curry paste (khreuang gaeng) or to dips (nam phrik)?

With the curry pastes the vendor will have a number of stock pastes and will mix them appropriately if you're making something a little less common. I find it best to tell the vendor what I want to make and he/she will give you what you need.

If it's the standard Curry Pastes the shop is selling just tell the shopkeeper the name of the type of Curry you want to make - e.g. Massaman, Kaeng Khio Whan, Kaeng Phet - whatever.

There are also many different Pastes - Nam Prik Kapi etc. etc. - which are used in cooking various dishes so you probably need a Thai cook to explain their uses.

Patrick

I got the impression he wasn't asking about the pre-packed stuff. I agree he needs to take a Thai friend who can tell him what is what, and it's uses though.

Yes, I too am quite sure he was not asking about the pre-packed Sachets one can buy in any supermarket - as an example "Nam Jai" brand is one I use most often if I am too lazy to make my own

In virtually all "Talad Sot" in Thailand there are stalls - and even established Shophouses - which display large metal or wooden bowls of various Thai cooking "pastes", sold by weight as required.

I believe most are "Kapi" type ingredients but certainly some will also supply various Curry Pastes etc..

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Thanks for the response people.

Yes i am not talking about the pre-pack stuff, the curry paste you find them in the morning market as seen in the attached picture.

Do you guys think they put MSG in the paste ?

post-91729-0-33015400-1314179633_thumb.j

Edited by ShopBoy

Thanks for the response people.

Yes i am not talking about the pre-pack stuff, the curry paste you find them in the morning market as seen in the attached picture.

Do you guys think they put MSG in the paste ?

OK, these signs are advertising Pastes for "Kaeng Hang Lae" and "Kaeng Nam Ngioew" - both Northern Thai Curries. (the price of 5 Baht per 100 Gramme is OK too by the way!)

The last line is partly hidden but reads, basically, "All generally used / required Curry Pastes"

And yes, you can bet that there is a substantial amount of MSG in these Pastes unless you are buying from a real "local" market.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Agree ,he was not asking about "packaged " curry pastes. What I neglected to do ,was tell him'/her ,that you can use the packs to teach yourself , both the ingredients and the names of different "gang',so that when you go to the market ,you know how to order.If ,you have serious problems, and no Thai to help you ,,You can show them the Packets, so they can "duplicate " your requests. Simple to learn the names of the ingredients or names of, fruits ,vegetables, foods in Thai. I did it , by listening to Thais buying things, in themarket .Did not take me long to learn, maybe 2 months. After 2 months ,I could buy anything in the market speaking Thai. That the stallholders understood.

Agree ,he was not asking about "packaged " curry pastes. What I neglected to do ,was tell him'/her ,that you can use the packs to teach yourself , both the ingredients and the names of different "gang',so that when you go to the market ,you know how to order.If ,you have serious problems, and no Thai to help you ,,You can show them the Packets, so they can "duplicate " your requests. Simple to learn the names of the ingredients or names of, fruits ,vegetables, foods in Thai. I did it , by listening to Thais buying things, in themarket .Did not take me long to learn, maybe 2 months. After 2 months ,I could buy anything in the market speaking Thai. That the stallholders understood.

Nothing wrong with your method, the problem is, you can go to four different stalls and ask for example a green curry paste, you will get four different pastes.

I used to go to Prakhanong market in Bkk to buy massaman paste, there were at least 20 stalls in there all selling pastes, you soon learn to tell if what they are selling is what you want by looking at the colour followed by smell and texture, and finally taste, not for the faint hearted, some of these pastes will blow you mouth off.

Min Buri market is also worth a visit especially for massaman paste.

Even harder to find is what is known as boran, or the old fashioned way of doing these pastes.

I liken these pastes to a tom yam, regional variations and ingredients used means you will never get two the same.

Happy hunting.

rgs -totally agree.Every "paste " maker has their own very "special " recipe , which is why ,I suggest he uses some Commercial packages , so he can learn te names, etc,etc.

I think the last couple of post have hit the nail on the head. Just asked the G/L about same, reply market one's no Dood Lubbish the packet one's also no Dood but for Farang's better than nothing. If you want it right it seem's make it yourself fresh, but that's where your problem's will start. Best of luck. Edited by fredob43

If you live in a village there is most likely to be a family that makes and sells their own curry pastes. I buy the most amazing homemade curry paste from a neighbor lady, all fresh ingredients and no msg.

And yes, you can bet that there is a substantial amount of MSG in these Pastes unless you are buying from a real "local" market.

Patrick

Absolute hogwash, I'm afraid.

I've checked the ingredients list on three different brands of curry paste - J-Lek, Namjai and Lobo. Not a single one contains MSG (ผงชูรส). Furthermore, in all my years of cooking from Thai language cookery books I've never seen a single curry recipe that includes MSG.

Try searching Google for ตำรา+แกง+ผงชูรส. Lots about the perils of MSG and plenty of comments saying not to use it. Didn't see any curry recipes, though in the results I looked through.

• 4 weeks later...