Electric Bills-- Prices Up Sharply

steelepulse

A pipe lay barge in the gulf of Thailand accidentally pulled up one of the main 36 inch gas trunk lines around May / June. The gas from this line does up to 70% of EGAT's electricity. And i have heard it's still not repaired yet. That's why all our bills have increased. On top of that the insurance company and the construction contractor are arguing over who's going to pay for it. We are talking billions here, and not baht either.

Thanks for the explanation, but the bills have not increased, ie the price per unit has not. Some people have used more so pay more, so people have used less so pay less.

Same here. Our electric unit price has not increased this month.

No change in unit price for years, and additinal fuel surcharge is very low this time of year due to waterturbinpower

• 2 months later...

Hi there.

I'm new on this forum and this is my first post... Would appricite to get some information regarding electricity rates in Thailand (Phuket).

Just recently bought 3 bedroom pool villa at Phuket lived there for one month (two families) and got electricity bill THB 15,600.-

Have used 2600 units (kwh) which is ok I suppose with 4pcs A/C and the pool. But THB 6 for 1 unit is obviosly too much.

So would be nice if some one could provide me with some kind of official Thai electricity rates? Or explain, how they

calculate the total bills?

Thank's in advance.

Welcome to Thaivisa....

You bought the villa. Are you in a managed development ? Sounds like your management company is charging you 6 baht/unit. These charges would have been defined in your sales/management contract. Or if the bill is direct from the electric company then you are likely on a temporary meter which attracts a higher unit charge. In that case you need to get a permanent meter installed ASAP.

Hi there.

I'm new on this forum and this is my first post... Would appricite to get some information regarding electricity rates in Thailand (Phuket).

Just recently bought 3 bedroom pool villa at Phuket lived there for one month (two families) and got electricity bill THB 15,600.-

Have used 2600 units (kwh) which is ok I suppose with 4pcs A/C and the pool. But THB 6 for 1 unit is obviosly too much.

So would be nice if some one could provide me with some kind of official Thai electricity rates? Or explain, how they

calculate the total bills?

Thank's in advance.

Pretty much explained above but you are getting hosed.

I used 3417 units this month and my bill was 13900 incl tax.

Welcome to Thaivisa....

You bought the villa. Are you in a managed development ? Sounds like your management company is charging you 6 baht/unit. These charges would have been defined in your sales/management contract. Or if the bill is direct from the electric company then you are likely on a temporary meter which attracts a higher unit charge. In that case you need to get a permanent meter installed ASAP.

Yes, that is managed development and management company is charging me 6 baht/unit. I have not signed any management agreement with developer yet. In sales/purchase agreement there were nothing mentioned about electricity.

I have a meter which is kind of connected to my villa, but then the question is - how can I get direct bills or direct agreement with electric company? Is it possible?

Yes, that is managed development and management company is charging me 6 baht/unit. I have not signed any management agreement with developer yet. In sales/purchase agreement there were nothing mentioned about electricity.

I have a meter which is kind of connected to my villa, but then the question is - how can I get direct bills or direct agreement with electric company? Is it possible?

Very little you can do about that as the management company most likely owns the electric transformer and the underground electric lines to your new home, and the electric meter. Even if you could find a public supply hook-up then you would not be allowed to fly the lines over someone else's property. Sadly this is often a factor that many buyers do not take into consideration.

edit// you should try to negotiate the rate down to 5 baht which is a more realistic price for a development.

Thank You very much for the answers and information. That's what I thought there's nothing much I can do about it... But You can not think about all things ahed when you purchase the villa...

It could be you are on the higher rate. I have a home in an estate in Kathu & for a long time wondered why my bills were so high. I went to the PEA office at Bangwad & when I showed them my bill they explained I was on the highest rate & it could easily be dropped to the lowest rate by having my wife (electric is in her name) sign a document. Bills dropped by a considerable amount afterwards. Check your bill & it should show either T1, T2 or T3 which is the highest rate.

Very little you can do about that as the management company most likely owns the electric transformer and the underground electric lines to your new home, and the electric meter. Even if you could find a public supply hook-up then you would not be allowed to fly the lines over someone else's property. Sadly this is often a factor that many buyers do not take into consideration.

edit// you should try to negotiate the rate down to 5 baht which is a more realistic price for a development.

In a situation like this one should ask to pay the managments electricity cost/unit pluss 10 % admin fee, which is approx 3 to 4 baht/unit depending on total consumption/month

I you are in the permiter of the project, an approach to PEA is worth a shot, as they may be able/willing to provide you with a PEA meter, electric costs 3,5-4,2 baht/kwh. no monthly fees

A pipe lay barge in the gulf of Thailand accidentally pulled up one of the main 36 inch gas trunk lines around May / June. The gas from this line does up to 70% of EGAT's electricity. And i have heard it's still not repaired yet. That's why all our bills have increased. On top of that the insurance company and the construction contractor are arguing over who's going to pay for it. We are talking billions here, and not baht either.

A good article can be found by googling "Pipeline leak will drive up power bills, says Egat". Would leave a link but the source is not allowed on TV.

Thank You very much for the answers and information. That's what I thought there's nothing much I can do about it... But You can not think about all things ahed when you purchase the villa...

It could be you are on the higher rate. I have a home in an estate in Kathu & for a long time wondered why my bills were so high. I went to the PEA office at Bangwad & when I showed them my bill they explained I was on the highest rate & it could easily be dropped to the lowest rate by having my wife (electric is in her name) sign a document. Bills dropped by a considerable amount afterwards. Check your bill & it should show either T1, T2 or T3 which is the highest rate.

dam_n those meds. The T1, T2 T3 system applies to the water bills.

Edited by Valentine

dam_n those meds. The T1, T2 T3 system applies to the water bills.

good you came back :)

as the price of one kwh is progressive no matter what PEA meter you have, use little a month= pay little per kwh, use more = pay more per kwh and so on,

there is no need for different tarriffs