Need Simple, Easy Image Editor For Mac

Trevor25222

iImage tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. <deleted> !? There's no way to select single images !!! The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft). Had a look at Gimp and Paintbrush here but they were brain damage for the simple tools I wanted.

I only want to pixelate or colour-out faces (for anonymity) on a few images. Would prefer freeware / shareware but am prepared to pay for a cheapish image-editing program. Any suggestions from established Mac users? Thanks.

I've never had that problem. You can drag and drop single images to iPhoto or go to file, import to library go to the folder you store your photos in, open the folder and click on an image then click import. If you import your whole photo file then you may have a problem. It used to get really slow on my older computers. I have tons of photos and only 139 in iPhoto. But I don't use iPhoto to import images from my camera, only from my iPod Touch. Sometimes I use iPhoto to get rid of red eye, but I use Adobe Photoshop to edit images, mainly because it's what I've used for 16 years now.

I've never had that problem. You can drag and drop single images to iPhoto or go to file, import to library go to the folder you store your photos in, open the folder and click on an image then click import. If you import your whole photo file then you may have a problem. It used to get really slow on my older computers. I have tons of photos and only 139 in iPhoto. But I don't use iPhoto to import images from my camera, only from my iPod Touch. Sometimes I use iPhoto to get rid of red eye, but I use Adobe Photoshop to edit images, mainly because it's what I've used for 16 years now.

Thanks. If you don't have enough memory a big album will just hang. But it's true you can import a few images easily. There is a simple tool to colour-out facial features for anonymity but no pixellation as such. Can't expect much for free these days!

I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 on a daily basis... I NEVER ever put photos in iPhoto! However, I agree with Jimi007 above in his proposed use of iPhoto. For the casual user, that is one of many image management solutions.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. If you don't have enough memory a big album will just hang. But it's true you can import a few images easily. There is a simple tool to colour-out facial features for anonymity but no pixellation as such. Can't expect much for free these days!

I use all the programs mentioned except Photoshop, could never get my mind around that one! :blink:

But for pretty easy to use AND free Picasa is good... for all basic editing and more some times.... I think that is what the OP was looking for....(PC or Mac Versions)

What all these programs tend to lack, is resizing ability ... Picasa allows you to upload to Picnik to do that, which is a pain!

ACDsee, seems to be the only program that does all...but no that cheap.... Their Mac version has a long way to go for the price they want.... :o I have only read reviews and not tried the Mac version....

• 3 weeks later...

I use all the programs mentioned except Photoshop, could never get my mind around that one! :blink:

But for pretty easy to use AND free Picasa is good... for all basic editing and more some times.... I think that is what the OP was looking for....(PC or Mac Versions)

What all these programs tend to lack, is resizing ability ... Picasa allows you to upload to Picnik to do that, which is a pain!

ACDsee, seems to be the only program that does all...but no that cheap.... Their Mac version has a long way to go for the price they want.... :o I have only read reviews and not tried the Mac version....

Adobe Photoshop has a little sister called Photoshop Elements (prices at about 1/6th of Photoshop) should be able to take care of all your resizing, cropping, rotation, color adjustments, etc. Obviously it is much more simpler than the full blown Photoshop.

Tried Pixelmator recently, looks pretty nice and has good reviews. It's $30 from the Mac app store and has a free trial.

Didn't use it enough to really be able to recommend it but would like to hear opinions.

Photoshop is usually overkill for what I want to do.

I loved Picasa on Windows but never warmed up to it on Mac - it starts out with Picasa scanning the entire hard drive for photos and putting lots of useless stuff (like GIFs and textures I have lying around) in albums. Never felt right.

iPhoto sucks less and less with each release but it's still the worst of the iApps...

Edited by nikster