Looking To Own My First Real Motorcycle.

alexpoker

I bet you got the one around Ratchadamri road, thats the one i got last year. When the chain broke :) Going up Doi Suthep...lol

FYI the sprocket on that bike is 14t front 44t rear when i rented it last year, so top speed is down about 20kph on that bike unless they changed it.

The handle bars can be angled in or out to alleviate stress on the wrist, number 6 allen key. If you pull them inwards it handles a bit better and puts less stress on the wrist, you'll get use to it in about a week.

Try countersteering in the curves eg; if your hitting a right handed curve, apply slight inward pressure with your left elbow.Sounds counterintuitive, but give it a shot.

Dont end up in the ditch ! :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the blue one. But I didnt get it from that place near KSK. I got it from this local rental shop just south 100m from Chiang Mai gate. :)

I gotta say after an hours riding your wrist starts to become strained. Need to get used to riding.

Doi Suthep was fun today but a little scary riding downhill. A thai guy on a scooter even passed me :P

You'll get used to it... Perhaps you were gripping the handlebars to hard?:) Or, maybe the grips were too skinny for you? Maybe the levers need to be adjusted (the first thing I did after the dealer delivered my bike home).

I learned from working for a riding magazine a few years ago is that you shouldn't lean forward and put weight on your arms, hold your weight with your leg, back and abdomen muscles, support your upper body with your legs clamping on to the tank. Your torso, shoulders, arms, and hands should just be "floating".:D

These might be useful:

Finding the right riding position

Motorcycle rider fitness

How to fine tune your riding position

If you decide on one of the older model CBR's I may know where there's one for sale. not that much mileage on it either. It's a yellow 2007 model.

I would imagine that the newer ones, as mentioned earlier, will feel more stable. I've only ridden one once for a short distance but the bigger size and bigger wheels gave a much better feel. Seemed a little more upright than the older ones as well, that may be just the way i was sat on it though.

It was a nicer riding position than my old 250 Ninja that much I can tell you.

I'd buy a CBR150 or 250 to start with for a year, then move up to one of the kawa 650s if you so desire.

For ownership I believe either:

Non-Imm visa and Work Permit.

Or

Non-Imm Visa and Certificate of Residence (very easy to get from most embassies)

Is needed for an Alien to register a vehicle.

Driving License should take about a day, and is cheap and easy.

To continue going off topic, does anyone know if I can transfer a bike in to my name with a non-imm visa and a photocopy of my Residence Certificate?

They kept the original when I went to get my Driver's License.

This would be in Bangkok, DLT at Chatujak.

Cheers.

I'd buy a CBR150 or 250 to start with for a year, then move up to one of the kawa 650s if you so desire.

For ownership I believe either:

Non-Imm visa and Work Permit.

Or

Non-Imm Visa and Certificate of Residence (very easy to get from most embassies)

Is needed for an Alien to register a vehicle.

Driving License should take about a day, and is cheap and easy.

To continue going off topic, does anyone know if I can transfer a bike in to my name with a non-imm visa and a photocopy of my Residence Certificate?

They kept the original when I went to get my Driver's License.

This would be in Bangkok, DLT at Chatujak.

Cheers.

I got a Yamaha Virago transferred into my name there in May.

I am on a retirement extension and used my yellow house book, copy of my passport etc in Thai and English, but I only gave them a copy of what they wanted and there was no problem other than sitting around for about 4 hours.

If possible get a Thai to do it for you and I believe there are some agents there and they will do all the running around for you.

The guy I bought my bike from sent someone from his office to help me and I gave him 500 baht for his help and believe me it was worth every satang of it.

DLT at Chatujak is a big place and I had to go to 3 different buildings plus the inspection area.

Very nice, friendly and helpful people there.

To the OP,

It seems you've already spoken with my neighbour about the NSR so I'll leave that with you.

Thought you may also be interested in this, not the same style but a decent price.

http://www.bahtsold.com/en/view/honda-sper-four-400cc-82279?doqs=1

There is no mention of green-book etc in the ad but that doesn't mean there isn't one, it does look like it has a plate on it.

Nice meeting you mrclough :)

Yes I saw that one too. Ive been refreshing all the sites like 4 times a day lol.

I want to thank everyone for the feedback they gave me.

I finally ended up purchasing a NSR 150 SP. this one: http://thaimotorcycyle.wordpress.com/modified-honda-nsr-sp-repsol-pro-arm-for-sale/

Just came back after buying a helmet. Really looking forward to riding it. Holler if you see me in the streets .Ill be riding around like a newbie - Wearing a white "Real" helmet :)

Alex

Yes I saw that one too. Ive been refreshing all the sites like 4 times a day lol.

I finally ended up purchasing a NSR 150 SP. this one: http://thaimotorcycy...o-arm-for-sale/

Just came back after buying a helmet. Really looking forward to riding it. Holler if you see me in the streets .Ill be riding around like a newbie - Wearing a white "Real" helmet :)

Alex

Same as mine, maybe I'll see you, not many Nsr SP around in CM. :)

I finally ended up purchasing a NSR 150 SP. this one: http://thaimotorcycy...o-arm-for-sale/

Alex

Looks very nice on the pics. Any chance to see it "live"? Just to compare it to my junk. :)

Edited by Semper

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think Im gonna start out with a Honda NSR 150 SP. It looks really cool and also is very cheap.

But first I gotta learn how to ride and then get a license :P

I read that the NSR needs more maintenance because its a 2 stroke( i have no clue what that means), but Im ok with that, cuz then Ill get to know the bike more. I dont have a problem getting my hands dirty working on something I will hope to love :)

Someone suggested that a 150cc would not be good for e.g. going to Pai or longer trips. Why is that?

I did several 600km trips 6.5hrs to 7 hrs on a CBR150 and except for gas stops where I didnt get off the bike, it was non stop. I did the same trip several times on a CBR600 and shaved only 30 minutes off the time. Of course I could have gone much faster on the bigger bike...but i wanted to get home on the bike...not in a coffin.

I would be very sceptical about doing the same trip on an NSR 2 smoker. Unless in perfect condition you may find you have a forced stay somewhere along the way to rebuild the engine. (my opinion) I looked at getting an NSR150, but quickly realised the kick start was a pain....and unless you rev it like hell there is less performance than the CBR150 and use twice the gas plus oil.....a no brainer for a CBR150 unless you are passionate about working on bike maintenance.

You would be paying 20000 to 25000 B for a good NSR150 An older model CBR150 (which is still newer than the NSR) can be picked up for around 25000 to 30000B

A poor condition CBR would be a safer buy than a "maybe" good condition NSR for a newbie rider that doesnt know the difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke.

i sold my nsr 250 rr a couple monthn back and still regret it.

Alex

Glad you found what you were looking for in the end.

Was nice to meet you also.

hope you enjoy your new ride & as mentioned, don't forget the 2T !!

Sweet, that's a cool bike.

2 strokes are fun when you "hit the pipe" as they say.

That bike with the single sided rear wheel is a classic looker.

Even if it didn't run, you could just keep it as art.

Congrats and enjoy riding.

Edited by ttakata

I just want to say this:

Don't assume people are going to signal before they are turning, (in fact dont assume anything)

after a couple of painful accidents, i now look ahead to see if there is any road that the driver in front of me all of the sudden might feel compelled to turn into with no prior thought or indication.

If there is a side road ahead, i won't take over on that side, signal or not.

Also be very cautious on a bigger road of the opposite drivers, if they can make a U-turn, in all likelihood they will cut you and cross all 3 lanes on your side in order to get to the left lane on your side, especially if there's a good bet you're gonna ram right into their side.

Edited by poanoi

Be careful around olddd beat up pick up trucks, especially ones that look like they're about to pull out of a soi. Everytime i've come close to getting taken out, its always been by one of these old trucks.

Thanks guys.

Yea been driving up to Doi Suthep a couple of times. Past the palace and the road becomes very narrow and at some point starts going downhill quite steep. When I came to this point the road was quite wet and I chickened out and headed back down to town.

Whats up past the palace and is it worth checking out on the bike? How far can you go? How good are these tires for wet roads?: Michelin Pilot Sporty front 100/80-17 and rear 130/70-17 tires

Thanks again.

If you keep going up past the palace and make a right on the one lane road, it takes you up to a viewpoint that will be on your left, no signs though, but its a broad dirt area with no trees and a bench. It over looks a hilltribe village and the view is very nice indeed, very breathtaking.

The road will then continue to curve up and to the right, this is when the road starts to get sketchy and eventually leads to a campground. If you go past the campground it turns into a dirt road and that's where i usually stop. There's a shack some somewhere up there that serves good coffee from what i hear, but you'd think no one was around, just park and say hello if you want some.

I only have a comment about "big" vs "little." This topic has come up quite often and I cannot for the life of me understand why the advice always seems to be to start small. My first legal street bike was a 1969 Harley Sportster 900cc, back in the day when you could get leaded 100 octane fuel. It was a pretty hot machine for the time.

Now I ride a Kawasaki 650cc ER6n. It is the biggest bike you can legally buy here right now without paying huge import duty and taxes (along with Ninja and Versys). This bike is considered a "starter" or "womens" bike in the US. It is only a "Big Bike" in Thailand. When I ride my father-in law's 110cc Honda Wave, the damned thing feels shaky and dangerous. In the west, this motorcycle would practically be considered to be a toy. Because stability is achieved by the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels, heavy wheels mean greater stability. A bigger bike is only more difficult to keep upright when stationary. A little girl can ride a liter bike if she can touch the ground with one foot.

If you truly will never go beyond a resonably small radius from home, by all means, get the 250 and save some gas. Or the Wave for just around the city. But if you want versatility and might someday want to take a ride to Nan, Chiangrai or even Bangkok, why not get something comfortable for such a trip? You can save money on a smaller bike, but you haven't saved anything if you replace it a couplfe of times. I have seen people go from a 110 cc to a 250, then to a 650. Where is the savings with a plan like that? If it wasn't for the greater cost because of the import factor, I'd say go to a full liter bike. There are members that warn against that, too, because of the ungodly power. Just learn to control the throttle. Just because a bike will pop wheelies in all six gears and go from 0 to 300 in 6.2 seconds, doesn't mean you have to ride that way.

My two cents.

I agree, don't understand why people are recommending 150-250cc bikes. An er6n is a perfect starterbike, very easy to ride. In sweden people never start on anything smaller then that, you cant even get your big-bike-license with anything under 600cc.

So my tip is go for an er6n/f so you donät have to change bike 2-3 times in the first 3 months...

I only have a comment about "big" vs "little." This topic has come up quite often and I cannot for the life of me understand why the advice always seems to be to start small. My first legal street bike was a 1969 Harley Sportster 900cc, back in the day when you could get leaded 100 octane fuel. It was a pretty hot machine for the time.

Now I ride a Kawasaki 650cc ER6n. It is the biggest bike you can legally buy here right now without paying huge import duty and taxes (along with Ninja and Versys). This bike is considered a "starter" or "womens" bike in the US. It is only a "Big Bike" in Thailand. When I ride my father-in law's 110cc Honda Wave, the damned thing feels shaky and dangerous. In the west, this motorcycle would practically be considered to be a toy. Because stability is achieved by the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels, heavy wheels mean greater stability. A bigger bike is only more difficult to keep upright when stationary. A little girl can ride a liter bike if she can touch the ground with one foot.

If you truly will never go beyond a resonably small radius from home, by all means, get the 250 and save some gas. Or the Wave for just around the city. But if you want versatility and might someday want to take a ride to Nan, Chiangrai or even Bangkok, why not get something comfortable for such a trip? You can save money on a smaller bike, but you haven't saved anything if you replace it a couplfe of times. I have seen people go from a 110 cc to a 250, then to a 650. Where is the savings with a plan like that? If it wasn't for the greater cost because of the import factor, I'd say go to a full liter bike. There are members that warn against that, too, because of the ungodly power. Just learn to control the throttle. Just because a bike will pop wheelies in all six gears and go from 0 to 300 in 6.2 seconds, doesn't mean you have to ride that way.

My two cents.

I agree, don't understand why people are recommending 150-250cc bikes. An er6n is a perfect starterbike, very easy to ride. In sweden people never start on anything smaller then that, you cant even get your big-bike-license with anything under 600cc.

So my tip is go for an er6n/f so you donät have to change bike 2-3 times in the first 3 months...

Don't know if you read the thread first but the OP has already purchased the bike he wanted. Now everyone is comfortable with the idea of getting straight onto a 600+ cc bike for their first bike. If they are worried about the power etc then it is not wise for them to do so and the better option is to start small and work up.

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents.

Don't know if you read the thread first but the OP has already purchased the bike he wanted. Now everyone is comfortable with the idea of getting straight onto a 600+ cc bike for their first bike. If they are worried about the power etc then it is not wise for them to do so and the better option is to start small and work up.

Yep, a 600 for a first bike is the express lane to the hospital. I just switch my pcx to a CBR 150, found that my right hand is too heavy (giving it too much gas):whistling:. Glad that it was only a 150, easy to learn the control sensitivity with.. Plus in CM it does what needs to get done. Good in the city, and some life outside it. Granted I wanted a 650, but praticality wise, I'm pretty happy with the 150.