Wat Khao Sukim

Atmos

Several roads give access to Wat Khao Sukim, easiest for me is #3322 which intersects with Sukhumvit #3 at Noen Sung (or Noen Soong on some maps) a few km north of Chanthaburi city.

17km on #3322, a gradual climb all the way on a good 2-lane road, with adequate room for cyclists/motorbikes.

Only one t-intersection along the road (left to WKS or right to Krathing Waterfall) well-signposted the whole way.

Wat Khao Sukim is set on a hillside behind a couple of lakes and a large car/bus parking area which suggests it can get very busy at times, but today just 4 coachloads of tourists and about 30 cars.

A huge new building is under construction past the main carpark, two tower cranes give some perspective on how big this building will be eventually.

The lake is well stocked with carp and turtles, 10b buys food for them

The main temple buildings are further up the hill - option of walking or else take the free cablecar - just press the button, takes about 1min to the top, where there is the temple and three buildings housing a large collection of religious items and antiques donated by the public, also on display are wax sculptures of over twenty Buddhist monks highly revered by the public. Lots to see in these museum rooms, ornate furniture, huge vases often of Chinese style, bowls of locally mined sapphires and rubies, easy to spend an hour quietly browsing.

For the top of the building there are great views over the surrounding countryside, orchards/fruit farms mainly here, especially rambutan, durian, banana and rubber tree plantations. Something I found different to other areas here was the lack of houses - there are some very big farm properties, and on the road we took, few houses.

Notes for cyclists

- as above, slow uphill all the way, but the trip back to #3 is easy

- no houses = no dogs, always a bonus

- take some proper shorts and sleeved t-shirt, cycle shorts and a singlet will not meet the 'respectful dress' requirements which are well signposted.

Edited by Atmos

Keep these postings from Chan coming, I love reading them, many places I recognise, some I dont, and yet others need investigating.

Next time you head to WKS, dont take the route you mention, try this one,

head north on the number 3 heading away from Chan, a few kilos out you will come to Taling Thong 1, turn right in there and just keep heading straight.

Be aware this route is usually the route the tour buses take if they come from Bkk, but apart from that its a quiet road very good for cycling.

This turn off is after Song Phi Nong but before Thung Bencha, check out google maps, and again thanks for posting your pics, your good work isnt going un noticed.

^ cheers; looking at my little map I can just follow the 3322 signs I think that's the one you refer to, it loops back to Sukhumvit

I'm enjoying the countryside here, so many places still to see (recommendations welcome) within an easy day's travel. Fascinating history to the region, and things not seen in many other places eg we have six (probably more, read there were 12-15 but haven't located) operational sapphire mines within 3km of home in the Ploy Waen area, must be profitable or they wouldn't bother with costs of big diggers etc.

Riding on Sukhumvit is OK there's generally plenty of lane space to keep away from the traffic, worst hazard is m-bikes with sidecars using the wrong side of the road and forcing me out into traffic lanes, often with a smile!

Favourite remains my regular ride Tha Mai to Chao Lao for a swim then along the coast south, over the bridge and back to Tha Mai, 42km loop, done it so many times now, know the spots to be wary of dogs - there are a few who just love to chase cyclists - only complaint is the sea is always too warm to cool off properly - hardly a complaint though. Expect by November it'll be ok for snorkeling again, bit murky at this time of year.