6 Wheel 10 Ton Truck

johnbits

What would I expect to pay for a used 6-wheel truck capable of hauling 10 tons up and down mountain roads?

Would most trucks have the gearing and suspension to handle this?

Is this the right forum for this question?

Edited by johnbits

If you are a farang, you cannot drive it. ;)

I did read that I could not get a work permit to drive a truck. Wasn't sure if that was still true, wasn't sure if that meant I could not drive it at all.

Do Thai people need a special license to drive this truck or a big semi? In the USA I could drive a straight line truck with a car license, but not a semitractor trailer rig.

I would have wanted to drive it from time to time, but I wasn't keen on doing it for a full time job.

Edited by johnbits

I did read that I could not get a work permit to drive a truck. Wasn't sure if that was still true, wasn't sure if that meant I could not drive it at all.

Do Thai people need a special license to drive this truck or at big semi? In the USA I could drive a straight line truck with a car license, but not a semitractor trailer rig.

I would have wanted to drive it from time to time, but I wasn't keen on doing it for a full time job.

No, you cannot drive it. Taking work from a Thai. ;)

Do Thai people need a special license to drive this truck or at big semi? In the USA I could drive a straight line truck with a car license, but not a semitractor trailer rig.

Rules are rules, whether I think they make sense or not, the rules won’t change. I will have to live with that.

Most trucks this size in the USA would be as easy for a women to drive as a man, is that true in Thailand? It isn’t like my GF will drive all the time, just wanted to know the options. She has driven a clutch before.

Rules are rules, whether I think they make sense or not, the rules won't change. I will have to live with that.

Most trucks this size in the USA would be as easy for a women to drive as a man, is that true in Thailand? It isn't like my GF will drive all the time, just wanted to know the options. She has driven a clutch before.

Im pretty sure you can, if you read through this post on the faming forum, post 24, PM Khowan, and he will explain what to do, cheers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/116206-do-all-you-farmers-have-work-permits/

if its got small plates (Tabien Leck), 2 letters first, green on white, plates for private use, farang can drive it

if its got large plates, starting with numbers, for commercial use, farang can not drive it and workpermit can not be issued for this work

as I recall approx 900k for a new Hino or Izu 7 tonners, both plate options available

Im pretty sure you can, if you read through this post on the faming forum, post 24, PM Khowan, and he will explain what to do, cheers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/116206-do-all-you-farmers-have-work-permits/

Doh!!! :w00t: T/A stubbed his toe again!!! :passifier::whistling: That's Ok at least your toilets flush because......................... Someone else besides YOU installed em :cheesy: ......

Doh!!! :w00t: T/A stubbed his toe again!!! :passifier::whistling: That's Ok at least your toilets flush because......................... Someone else besides YOU installed em :cheesy: ......

T/A is correct. I have a licenced Glock 19, but having it does not allow me to shoot for the Police in public, as that would be in breach of labour Departments rules.

Same goes for vehicles, being licenced to operate one does not make it legal according to labour Departments rules. Farang = Tabien Leck only, private use, not commercial. No problem to get a 18 wheeler on Tabien Leck, It just cant carry load for payment. And skip the farang, in this case it is foreigner without Thai ID card not allowed to operate commercial vehicles or vehicles seating more than 10

T/A is correct. I have a licenced Glock 19, but having it does not allow me to shoot for the Police in public, as that would be in breach of labour Departments rules.

Same goes for vehicles, being licenced to operate one does not make it legal according to labour Departments rules. Farang = Tabien Leck only, private use, not commercial. No problem to get a 18 wheeler on Tabien Leck, It just cant carry load for payment. And skip the farang, in this case it is foreigner without Thai ID card not allowed to operate commercial vehicles or vehicles seating more than 10

How do you figure? You yourself are saying he CAN drive it if it's not for commercial use?? <deleted>??? T/A states that the guy CAN'T drive it in any case! Why don't you just make it up as go along <deleted> :rolleyes: ??

Edited by WarpSpeed

How do you figure? You yourself are saying he CAN drive it if it's not for commercial use?? <deleted>??? T/A states that the guy CAN'T drive it in any case! Why don't you just make it up as go along <deleted> :rolleyes: ??

you can not drive it taking work from a Thai national. You can drive it if you do your homework, register on Tabien Leck, and thus can not use it commercially. It doesnt matter if its not for commercial use, it matters if its registered and not used for commercial use.

My siuation a few years back was the need for a watertruck. Tabien Leck no problem, but if we had charged for the water, it would have been commercial use.

you can not drive it taking work from a Thai national. You can drive it if you do your homework, register on Tabien Leck, and thus can not use it commercially. It doesnt matter if its not for commercial use, it matters if its registered and not used for commercial use.

My siuation a few years back was the need for a watertruck. Tabien Leck no problem, but if we had charged for the water, it would have been commercial use.

Yes, thank you for that clarification and equivocation, so my original post still stands as he said nothing about using it for commercial purposes and the OP CAN drive it legally for personal use... Case closed...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes, thank you for that clarification and equivocation, so my original post still stands as he said nothing about using it for commercial purposes and the OP CAN drive it legally for personal use... Case closed...

He will look really cool in a six wheeler with the in-laws in the back for a day out, eh Warps. :lol:

He will look really cool in a six wheeler with the in-laws in the back for a day out, eh Warps. :lol:

Heh well you can fit a nice picnic table back there and plenty of rice bags for personal use of course :whistling: ..

Absolutely. Even room for a karaoke set up. Perhaps the OP is on to something here. :huh:

Heh well you can fit a nice picnic table back there and plenty of rice bags for personal use of course :whistling: ..

Absolutely. Even room for a karaoke set up. Perhaps the OP is on to something here. :huh:

I have heard many stories about crazy scooter drivers, and I thought if I am in a big truck, no problem, maybe I not even notice the scooter if it hits me.

if its got small plates (Tabien Leck), 2 letters first, green on white, plates for private use, farang can drive it

if its got large plates, starting with numbers, for commercial use, farang can not drive it and workpermit can not be issued for this work

But can a foreigner actually get a license to drive it regardless of what plates are on it ?

I admire your style .Upstage these wannabe Scrap Collecting Ferangs,in their Pikey Trucks, think big, all the tons of Scrap Fridges, Motorbikes in one tip., just think how great it will be looking down on those miserable bouncing Trucks, and you can sit right on the Arse of Tuna Drives, just like they do to normal folk :D

I admire your style .Upstage these wannabe Scrap Collecting Ferangs,in their Pikey Trucks, think big, all the tons of Scrap Fridges, Motorbikes in one tip., just think how great it will be looking down on those miserable bouncing Trucks, and you can sit right on the Arse of Tuna Drives, just like they do to normal folk :D

I had even thought of a unique hood ornament, this should serve as a warning to those aggressive pedestrians crossing the street.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/65963/

as I recall approx 900k for a new Hino or Izu 7 tonners, both plate options available

beach, thanks, I was mostly interested in how much these trucks would cost. This or a dump truck, but a dump truck would always be more expensive.

Even if I was allowed to drive one, I wouldn't have the time or inclination to want to do a lot of driving.

I take it that a Thai would need a truck licenes for any large plate vehicle, are there different classes of commecial licenses?

Trucking is probaby a good job / business for a thai, since the trucks are somewhat expensive yet necessary to transport various crops etc. But I honestly have no idea of the economics of the trucking business in Thailand.

thanks

But can a foreigner actually get a license to drive it regardless of what plates are on it ?

Some DLT say foreigner, only bike and car/van/pickup

Some grant foreigners every DL class

One example would be a camper/mobile home. 6 wheeler/7 ton, Tabien Leck, usually blue on white as seats 10

One example would be a camper/mobile home. 6 wheeler/7 ton, Tabien Leck, usually blue on white as seats 10

Yep, l think the OP was asking about a 6 wheeler for business purposes so he could drive it. Think you will agree the answer is no. Might upset Warps but NOBODY buys a 6 wheeler for family days out. :huh:

Edited by transam

Edited by johnbits

But I honestly have no idea of the economics of the trucking business in Thailand.

So why bother?

The truck is part of a larger business that needs a truck. It is better to own the truck rather than rent, especially since the trucking business seems very seasonal.

So I have some idea of how much it costs to rent a truck, but that isn't the same as knowing about the general trucking business.

If the trucking business is seasonal and you want to own and operate one it sounds like you would be doing "commercial" work with it, even hauling your own hay so to speak is doing the job of a Thai national and would be frowned upon.

If the trucking business is seasonal and you want to own and operate one it sounds like you would be doing "commercial" work with it, even hauling your own hay so to speak is doing the job of a Thai national and would be frowned upon.

It would be illegal. :huh:

Spoon, I agreed, it would be illegal to operate a commecial truck. I never wanted to drive the truck, and my OP was how much a used truck would cost? Would going up and down mountain roads be a problem, are most trucks geared for a lot of mountain roads?

The forum ran off in the direction of work permits and can a farang drive the truck? I never gave it much thought, though it was suggested by my future wife I could help drive. I had told her it wasn't something I would want to do. Out of simply curiousity I would like to drive it once in a while, but not as a regular thing. But i have driven a large moving van for a few days, so I know how a truck handles.

She can drive, her father can drive, they can hire a driver. The only real problem about hiring a driver is one never wants to be vulnerable to some employee making unreasonable demands.

I have my own business which I run over the internet, I wouldnt need a work permit for that, and this is a side business the thai family runs.

Maybe I will get a work permit, I had wanted to ask how much it would cost a company to give a farang a work permit, I have seen many different numbers. Any comments on the costs?