What Brand Is This ?

LivinLOS

I am in Chiang Mai..

Not having a great deal of luck with the 2 pool companies I went to today, communication breakdown being the main one (my Thai is poor, but it was real simple what I was trying to get across). I couldnt even get them to understand alum or flocculent which is pretty basic, and thats with my wife doing a 2nd round in Thai..

Current pool guy has made a right old mess.. and run away.. Only now am I getting to see how much of a mess hes left everything in, should have paid closer attention.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. OP says "plugs" & "sockets" use a different thread pitch. What plugs and sockets are you talking about? If your talking about the drain plugs on the pump then a simple fix would be to head over to a machine shop to have the threads measured. They can also machine a new drain plug for you at minimum cost out of most any materioal.

As per my other thread.. The black plastic insert sandwiched between the pump and the basket, has a leak.

The leak seems in 2 parts.. One an O ring.. And two theres a crack in that black part sandwiched between the 2.. Theres obviously been a pressure event. Thats what I need to 'fix'.. Ideally with a new part, but secondly with a repair if not possible.

The second thing isnt a problem, but I observed when I took the pump around to supply places, that the white screw threads you can see on the pump, and these are the same screw threads on all my equipment (valve, filter tank, etc) are a different thread pitch to what I found in stock in the places I went to.

Again this isnt a real problem, just another observation that the pool equipment I have here, seems to be using parts that are different to what is locally used.

Bring th pump to a machine shop and ask them to measure the threads in question. Once you know the thread size you can proceed from there. They can also machine an adapter to fit your pump which will allow standard fittings available here in LOS.

As for the leak problem. I would contact the Pool Dr in BKK and send him a pic of the pump, motor dataplate etc to see if he can locate a repair facility. My old pumps were made in China and they had to be sent to a place in BKK for repairs.

Bring th pump to a machine shop and ask them to measure the threads in question. Once you know the thread size you can proceed from there. They can also machine an adapter to fit your pump which will allow standard fittings available here in LOS.

As for the leak problem. I would contact the Pool Dr in BKK and send him a pic of the pump, motor dataplate etc to see if he can locate a repair facility. My old pumps were made in China and they had to be sent to a place in BKK for repairs.

The fitment issue is a side issue.. Its only relevance was to show the fact it seems 'non standard'.. It seems the pool was made by a farang, whose now left Thailand, and my farang house owner, is also back in the west.. So its a case of learning all this as I go. Soon my own build will get started and all this messing with other peoples setups in rental houses will be over. I will have my own can of worms then :)

Thanks for the Pool Dr idea.. I will search them out now.. See what I can do.

Called Dr Pool.. First a very encouraging conversation assurances that almost anything can be fixed and a 'send email with photo'..

Then a call back.. Yes yes can repair easy.. You buy new pump.. only little money.. only 30,000.. little bit money for you..

No interest at all in trying to repair it or source anything.. Sole focus is selling me a new pump. Not the result I was shooting for.

Can you send me a few more pics of the pump and I'll check here in udon Thani? Send me a pic of the DATAPLATE on the pump. If there is no dataplate on the outside of the pump/motor open the plastic cover on top of the motor and see if there is any information inside. I'm pretty sure you'll have to get the pump repaired in BKK. I'll try to help you from here.

Called Dr Pool.. First a very encouraging conversation assurances that almost anything can be fixed and a 'send email with photo'..

Then a call back.. Yes yes can repair easy.. You buy new pump.. only little money.. only 30,000.. little bit money for you..

No interest at all in trying to repair it or source anything.. Sole focus is selling me a new pump. Not the result I was shooting for.

Lol....mirrors my experience with them.....they quoted me a price for a pool that was outrageous....3 times what it cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say there is a problem with the mechanical seal as aside from the other things that is what causes pool pumps to leak between the wet & dry end & if not rectified then the pump will soon burn out. BTW cost of a new replacement pump should not be more than 20,000 (good quality from Australia not like the Chinese one you have).

• 2 weeks later...

I would say there is a problem with the mechanical seal as aside from the other things that is what causes pool pumps to leak between the wet & dry end & if not rectified then the pump will soon burn out. BTW cost of a new replacement pump should not be more than 20,000 (good quality from Australia not like the Chinese one you have).

Yep it's both a junk Chinese copy pump (sorry no insult intended) (copy of an Australian Hurlcon) and a failed and leaking shaft seal of which there are few if any replacement parts for. The problem you face is that Chinese pumps aren't even uniform or spec'd between their own products meaning that basically if they run out of 3/4 hp impellers they feel a 1hp or 1/2hp is just fine as the parts are not even made in-house but through a system of companies who manufacturer & supply the parts to build one.. I've literally had to re-engineer many of those pumps so that they can pump anything even close to the flow ratings they're supposed to.

Personally I think your best option to avoid the most personal stress and get what you want is to get out of that pump and get a new one. Pool Dr. may not have explained it succinctly to you but in the end both Valentines and their suggestion was best, save your money and dump it now..

Edit: My reasoning is that I see very serious problems with the motor in your future as well, especially when the shaft seal fails, once you dry that up if you're lucky enough to find one that fits. The front bearing in the motor will fail as it's located right next to the pump shaft seal and the rotation of the shaft seal has been washing corrosive water right into it. Right now the water is acting as it's lubricant having washed out the seal lubricant but the damage is done, time to cut your losses..

BTW the cracking in the seal plate is also indicative of the pumps quality and probably came from overheating once without prime and warped the seal plate which is the proper term for that part, but top quality pumps with thermal plastics don't have that problem, that will be every bit as hard to locate as the shaft seal..

I can't really tell but it also sounds as if you're describing the brass grommets in the housing as pulled out, this is also a common problem with these pumps again due to poor quality plastic and definitely a fatal flaw.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I forgot to add something else, even the unions on the top of those pumps don't even follow any spec, they are some Chinese made up spec, they aren't metric and they aren't NPT, nor are they tapered. most quality International brands are to an International spec of pipe thread..

I'm not sure about Valentines recommendation of Aussie quality though I'd opt for the American brands like Hayward or Sta-rite most especially, high volume, heavy work rate tried and true pumps and motors but it shows in their pricing accordingly though it's not a large margin.

Edited by WarpSpeed