Changing My Notebook Screen

yeti

Hi,

I have a 4-5 years old notebook, IBM Thinkpad A22m.

Since this morning there is a white line on the screen, half a centimeter from the top. I guess my screen is slowly dying.

Is it possible to change the screen of a notebook?

Any reliable address in Bangkok (specific location) of a shop that can do this, won't screw my hard disc or steal some memory?

I know that after 4-5 years it would be time to change my computer, but I don't have the money right now :o

Thxs for your help.

Hi,

I have a 4-5 years old notebook, IBM Thinkpad A22m.

Since this morning there is a white line on the screen, half a centimeter from the top. I guess my screen is slowly dying.

Is it possible to change the screen of a notebook?

Any reliable address in Bangkok (specific location) of a shop that can do this, won't screw my hard disc or steal some memory?

I know that after 4-5 years it would be time to change my computer, but I don't have the money right now  :o

Thxs for your help.

4-5 yrs old....turn it into a beer coaster.

Buy a new one with all the latest bells and whistles.

An interim solution might be to buy an external monitor and bypass your notebook's screen. You need to check if your video card supports an external monitor (my 5-yr-old IBM laptop does). And if you add a keyboard, you can end up using the notebook as a small-footprint desktop.

An interim solution might be to buy an external monitor and bypass your notebook's screen. You need to check if your video card supports an external monitor (my 5-yr-old IBM laptop does). And if you add a keyboard, you can end up using the notebook as a small-footprint desktop.

if you are using the laptop as a desktop this is easily the best solution - and if you do wish to take is to different places but still set it up on a desk consider a 15" lcd monitor - when you decide to get a new laptop the monitor can find a home on your desktop.

I noticed my 20 months old Apple PowerBook LCD is getting slightly dim, when compared with a new one I just bought a few months ago. Is there anyway that the LCD backlight can be replaced or even available as a spare part? Or will it take replacement of the entire LCD panel as one single component to solve this problem?

I noticed my 20 months old Apple PowerBook LCD is getting slightly dim, when compared with a new one I just bought a few months ago.  Is there anyway that the LCD backlight can be replaced or even available as a spare part?  Or will it take replacement of the entire LCD panel as one single component to solve this problem?

The LCD backlight can be replaced by changing the fluorescent light and inverter, but it's not for faint-hearted, since it involves prying open the LCD screen, and some de-soldering/soldering work. I'd imagine it's best to call the Apple local dealer...

I noticed my 20 months old Apple PowerBook LCD is getting slightly dim, when compared with a new one I just bought a few months ago.  Is there anyway that the LCD backlight can be replaced or even available as a spare part?  Or will it take replacement of the entire LCD panel as one single component to solve this problem?

The LCD backlight can be replaced by changing the fluorescent light and inverter, but it's not for faint-hearted, since it involves prying open the LCD screen, and some de-soldering/soldering work. I'd imagine it's best to call the Apple local dealer...

That's what I thought, thanks. I doubt Apple Thailand will do that. Anybody knows if any shop in Panthip will do it? Or is it not worth the risk?

Me too, my notebook f1 key got stucked and it bleep endlessly during booting and when it finished loading it opens millions of windows help page using up memory and freeze the computer, i cannot use it at all. How much will it cost to replace a notebook keyboard ? I know the authorised repair center but I am worried that it might be very expensive as its no longer under warranty. Any ideas please?

Me too, my notebook f1 key got stucked and it bleep endlessly during booting and when it finished loading  it opens millions of windows help page using up memory and freeze the computer, i cannot use it at all.  How much will it cost to replace a notebook keyboard ? I know the authorised repair center but I am worried that it might be very expensive as its no longer under warranty. Any ideas please?

you should be able to prise the f1 key out of the keyboard altogether. No one really uses the function keys anyway.

I'm in the midst of refurbishing a laptop with a new screen. If I remember to I'll let you know how it goes. I believe there are only 2 connectors for the screen, but I am not sure if they are standardized across different brands.

I'm in the midst of refurbishing a laptop with a new screen. If I remember to I'll let you know how it goes. I believe there are only 2 connectors for the screen, but I am not sure if they are standardized across different brands.

Do you mean that you're going to do it yourself, or find a shop that can do it?

I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how it went :o

All models of laptops have differnet connectors, all brands are different too. Even sam model different specs will have differetn connectors.

The little backlight tube often costs about au$600 - $800 to purchase or more, get a new laptop form ECS (G532) for au$899 instead

Don't worry about fixing screens unless you happen to be lucky to find the exact same part on ebay.

Then don't worry about it either.

Many of the same model actually have different screens depending upoin time of manufacture - true and sad.

By the time I closed my laptop business I threw out about 100 screens and only once got the opportunity to use one screen in a repair job.

Also many screen faults are not hte screen but hte connecting cable breaking through opening and closing of the lid, you can check this yourself by moving the lid and watching the screen, if it flickers and the fault changes as you move it it is probably the cable.

Also cables can come loose, in which case you can open the casing and reseat the connectors.

Also many screen faults are not hte screen but hte connecting cable breaking through opening and closing of the lid, you can check this yourself by moving the lid and watching the screen, if it flickers and the fault changes as you move it it is probably the cable.

I had that problem, but could not get a new ribbon cable.

Eventually the machine went in the junk.

It is called Built in Obsolesence. :o

If you decide to get a new laptop don't forget to pull the hard drive out of the old one and put it into one of those external USB cases you can buy cheaply.

Wouldn't it be easier to network the old notebook to either a PC or a laptop with CDRW and make that all important back up. I can say that now, after having not made back ups, and just losing a lot of work and information!

usb to usb high speed data transfer cable or simply a cross over cable will do the job too.

• 1 month later...

thought this article might well be relevant

Do it yourseld LCD backlight repair

LCD Monitors have become very popular with prices coming down, and screen sized growing. Those of us that have used LCD monitors for a while know that over time the backlight starts to dim and will eventually completely fail. Leaving you with some electronic scrap that you could sell on eBay for 35 bucks or so. Well for less than $20.00 and about a half hour of your time you can replace the backlight and rejuvenate that monitor to as good as new condition. So man the surplus scrounging wagon and head out to your local school surplus or eBay!

http://inventgeek.com/Projects/shorts/lcdfix.aspx