Crash Close Call

visions

Feature writer Loz Blain taped this frightening footage as he was testing the BMW S1000RR for our next video motorcycle review.

An SUV ran wide into the oncoming lane on a blind, cresting left hander and missed Loz

Shown at full speed and hard to pick what happened, but the slow mo of the action shows just how lucky u can be.

An especially relevent reminder for us in Thailand with so many vehicles using the "VIP" lane ie. straddling the yellow as a matter of course. It is so frustrating not being able to ride in the center of the lane because oncoming vehicles want to overtake and will do so even when you are occupying the lane. It's move over or die.

It is so frustrating not being able to ride in the center of the lane because oncoming vehicles want to overtake and will do so even when you are occupying the lane. It's move over or die.

Been many years since I took the driving test, but doesn't Thai law say that bikes are normally supposed to stay over on the side of the lane?

Anyway I don't feel frustrated as I figure the center does really belong to the cars. If I happen to be in the center and I see a car coming up behind, I move over immediately. Safety rules; and in Thailand bigger rules. Just the way it is.

It is so frustrating not being able to ride in the center of the lane because oncoming vehicles want to overtake and will do so even when you are occupying the lane. It's move over or die.

Been many years since I took the driving test, but doesn't Thai law say that bikes are normally supposed to stay over on the side of the lane?

Anyway I don't feel frustrated as I figure the center does really belong to the cars. If I happen to be in the center and I see a car coming up behind, I move over immediately. Safety rules; and in Thailand bigger rules. Just the way it is.

Actualy I did have that happen to me 2 years ago in Thailand. Riding on a 2 lane open highway at 100kph a string of cars coming toward me at presumably about 100kph. Just as the cars were almost level with me a car pulled out to pass, so head on for me....I swerved to the left to avoid him.... just in time......only to be met head on by an idiot passing the passing car!! He must have been doing close to 150kph to pass both, so a closing speed of 250kph. I swerved again off the sde of the sealed surface and my right leg brushed his front guard, with my shoulkder hitting and smashing his side rear view mirror. It didnt tip me off the bike luckily and at that point no apparent serious injury. The guy never stopped ....be the same if I was catapulted over the front I suspect also

It was only my very fast reaction time and defensive driving training that saved me from both idiots, they must have seen me before they even started to pass??

As it has eventuated, unfortunately, that hit on the arm started a chain of events in my body that is killing me.

All vehicles must keep to the left lane unless passing. Nothing in the code about position within a single lane. If I am on the big bike then I am going car speed and I am constantly passing slower bikes thus I am in the middle of the lane. (Plus the bike lane is to narrow for a big bike going car speeds.) What I'm talking about is when an oncoming car or truck sees this they will still pull into your lane to overtake making you move over.

All vehicles must keep to the left lane unless passing. Nothing in the code about position within a single lane. If I am on the big bike then I am going car speed and I am constantly passing slower bikes thus I am in the middle of the lane. (Plus the bike lane is to narrow for a big bike going car speeds.) What I'm talking about is when an oncoming car or truck sees this they will still pull into your lane to overtake making you move over.

In Thailand, if you are on two wheels you will have cars pull into your lane to pass others. This is just the normal deal. The surprise factor comes in if you are on a limited visibility road like the 1095 to Pai and enjoying yourself when all of a sudden there is a ton of onions on a truck on your lane and on your shoulder. Happens all the time.

:thumbsup:

What I'm talking about is when an oncoming car or truck sees this they will still pull into your lane to overtake making you move over.

Ah. Well, as I said, in Thailand bigger rules. Don't even think about it: you immediately move over out of the way.

You may ride in the center of a lane sometimes but you don't own it.

As consolation, even if you were driving a car, an oncoming trailer rig might still pull into your lane to overtake making you move over. B)

in bangkok i almost always have to give way to pickups, trucks and minivans pulling out from side streets when they see its "just a motorbike " they assume i will either hit the brakes or swerve out of their way (which i do :rolleyes: )

even i have the right of way ,between a motorbike and a pickup that counts for fck all

Per CMSP / MSF: For visibility from other motorists while riding in the #1 ['fast' ] lane, bikes should generally* ride just to the side of the stripe separating the #1 & #2 lanes, or in the tire track closest. This way you see traffic hazards & patterns ahead better, and cagers can see you as well whether a few cars back or ahead of you.

This lane position also gives you a quick, safe out if traffic suddenly stops in the #1 lane and the cager behind you is falling asleep. Last, this lane position keeps you out of the primary oil spill & debris zone at the middle of the lane since others' tires will tend to pick up nails & screws for you, if you're living right that is.

In LOS, this position is the default bike lane, not coincidentally i believe, so be aware and try not to be the dumb Farang roadblock.

*I say generally, in paragraph one above, because situations occur constantly that will make you move to the far right or left to the next lane for better visibility, traffic flow or just to save your bacon!

Ride safe!

Edited by bbradsby