How Much Money For Bangkok?

wellred

Hi all,

What's a rough number to aim for in terms of daily spend in Bangkok? To give you an overview of what a typical day might be for me, may check out a few temples and other local sights, will probably sample some street food at least once a day (part of the attraction of going Thailand IMO) and dinner in a medium priced joint in the evening. I am a drinker although I don't envisage myself drinking every night and even then it will only be a few, won't be going mad.

Will be with a local girl too (non p4p) so I may check out Nana/Soi cowboy 1 evening but otherwise won't be partaking in any P4P activities there. Hotels are already booked btw.

Do you think 5000-6500 a day bhat ought to cover it? I think some days I may drink in the evenings and others I may take it easy. I'm there for a month so want to pace myself. Am happy to take more of course but just checking what's the norm.

All opinions most welcome.

Thanks

Edited by wellred

Unless you are out late night 2500 Baht a day is my usual budget. If as you say you have a local gf then she will help to keep your costs even lower.

Local mid range meal for two for 500 Baht...drinks another 500 or so and plenty to spend on travel and entertainment.

Drink prices really vary depending on where you go. A local can of beer at the 711 is 30 baht while an import might be about 45 baht. Soi Cowboy and Nana offer drink during happy hour for 75 - 100 baht and 150 / 175 baht during normal hours. Clubs and other places may run you around 250 to 350+ for a mixed drink.

A nice dinner can easily be had for 250 to 400 baht while street food vendors and little Thai restaurants will run you 50 baht for a meal. The street vendors are typically sell a single item for 20-baht but you usually want a couple things. The small restaurants often have very good food but just don't have air conditioning and are usually 3-sided with fans. These food prices don't include drinks ... usually the restaurants will offer free water from a jug with ice but bottles water or coke run about 20 baht.

Most fairs on the subway or skytrain will run you about 30 to 40 baht (price is by distance/stops). Taxis are very cheap and often cheaper if you are not alone. Consider getting an MRT or BTS card if you are taking the trains a lot. It cost 100 baht but it is a lot easier than standing in line each time to get a token. Plus the cards provide a little discount.

Bottom line is basic things like eating and stuff are cheap but if you plan to eat at McDonalds or other western places it is probably more here. Movies and shopping at the Mall .. same thing, not any real savings.

If you want to go on a trip anywhere, buses are pretty clean and comfortable and very cheap. You can go to BKK to Pattaya for about 180 baht via bus while a taxi will run you 1200 to 1500 baht (no meter on long trips / negotiate before hand).

Where are you planning on staying? If you haven't figured that out yet, I'm sure you can get some great recommendations here based on your requirements.

You'll be fine, unless you are paying way too much for accommodations. Hope you have fun!!

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm staying at a few different places as my stay in bangkok is spread across the month. 1st place I'm staying at is Bb boutique mansion, then Amari suites, both on sukhumvit. They were around 1500-2000 a night. I booked them both on agoda and the reviews seemed decent.

I prefer to get those expenses out of the way before I come so it's only my day to day I need to worry about.

I extended my trip by around a week so have to book another hotel but will do that closer to the time. Might stay on Ratchada, somewhere different.

It's very difficult to get by on only 6500 baht per day in Bangkok. Your best bet is to give the money to the girl each day and let her take care of everything to ensure that you don't get ripped off by Thais.

It's very difficult to get by on only 6500 baht per day in Bangkok. Your best bet is to give the money to the girl each day and let her take care of everything to ensure that you don't get ripped off by Thais.

Ha, LOL give it to the girl, that is just too rich. You should consider comedy.

It's very difficult to get by on only 6500 baht per day in Bangkok

Please tell me you are joking.