Dj Looking For Work

Hey Guys,

Names Joe from London just moved to Bangkok.

Been a dj/producer/musician for 15 years ( i know every one's a dj these days :) played all round the world with some of the big (can drop) names :lol: really want to start working in this great city!

I've got serato with me and tb's of music, play all styles my favourite probably being Reagge, Hip Hop, DnB and House allso really into cutting and scratching breaks of all kinds. Just looking for some like minded people to dj with and possibly get some nights together.

Not sure if it's cool to post mix's here (hope so) but there is a dnb mix and a link at the bottom to my reggae blog which has a few sets that can be played/downloaded, and can send/post other styles.

Thanx for your time look forward to getting some replys :D

Joe

http://soundcloud.com/phoenixagency/mr-baron-amnesia-mix-sessions-vol-1

http://theitalsoundproject.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a work permit? You need one!

Ouch , no im on a non immigarnt O visa. Do Clubs supply permits?

send your mixes to all the clubs in Bangkok, IE Q Bar, Bed, Scratch Dogs... also join all the related Facebook Pages....

send your mixes to all the clubs in Bangkok, IE Q Bar, Bed, Scratch Dogs... also join all the related Facebook Pages....

yeh thanx will do, desperate to start working and playing! :D

yeh thanx will do, desperate to start working and playing! :D

Q bar / Bed and Insominia would like your mixes, are you connected to them on Facebook? , also be an idea to do some free sets at the FMP ect, just to get your name out

Q bar / Bed and Insominia would like your mixes, are you connected to them on Facebook? , also be an idea to do some free sets at the FMP ect, just to get your name out

yeh i just been trailing thru facebook trying to sort some connects out! shame im not a great user of spacebook...prob' time i should pull my finger out ;) Used to DJ work kinder falling in my lap , might have to learn to go out and find some! Great advice tho seems to be alot of stuff on there. Really apreciate it!

yeh i just been trailing thru facebook trying to sort some connects out! shame im not a great user of spacebook...prob' time i should pull my finger out ;) Used to DJ work kinder falling in my lap , might have to learn to go out and find some! Great advice tho seems to be alot of stuff on there. Really apreciate it!

also head down RCA and drop your mix off there,

Work Permit , i woulnd worry to much about this , as the clubs will sponser you, also i think there is a clause somewhere that musicians dont need work permits? i stand corrected

But, as an example, i noticed Likin Park are playing in Bangkok, do they need work permits, as in theory it is the same

Work Permit , i woulnd worry to much about this , as the clubs will sponser you, also i think there is a clause somewhere that musicians dont need work permits? i stand corrected

VERY bad advice!

and please explain to me why this is bad advise..... so whn international DJ's and perfoming artisits paly in bangkok, do you think they all have work permits issued ? , i think not as no one would play here

i am wating for mario to comment as i did mention i would be standed corrected, but DJ's or perfoming artisits are excempt from normal

but lets see

Thai Visa has a search function. If you type in DJ you get a lot of posts and information. Most DJ's come to Thai Visa when arriving in Bangkok to check out the places to work and the necessity of getting a work permit before they go back to England. You would not believe the number of world famous DJ's that stop here at Thai Visa for information.

Below are a few of my favorite recent ones.

(World famous DJ's conversations with Thai Visa members about work and work permits)

(DJ in Thailand arrested for using burned cds)

(musicians jailed for not having work permits)

Edited by kerryk

Joe, you need to get out and around the BKK music scene and make some contacts personally with fellow musicians, club owners, managers.

Talk to the local expat musicians about their music experiences in BKK.

Temporary work Visa's can be obtained on a case by case basis.

Some clubs may be willing to work with you regarding work permits also.

You just have to check and see.

Best of luck with this. I hope it works out.

As others have mentioned the department of labour don't care about how well known you are in the west. They do and probably will care about whether you have a work permit or not and that will be a deal breaker. Sure, you will be able to play without a WP and you will probably get away with it for the first few gigs, but don't consider it a long term plan unless you are legal. The fact that you have a non-o visa is a good start. See if one of the clubs are able to issue a WP. I guess it would only work if you are a resident dg, Wps should have a fixed adress.

Again, good luck.

Reggae or Rap Hip Hop Euro and American style will not go over big in BKK mainstream clubs. Potential in Bangkok is limited for this type of music

Currently the big thing with Thai's is Korean and Thai Pop and Hi energy Trance.

Reggae works well in the backpacker travel areas of the islands and coasts of the South, and Chiang Mai.

But the North has a very limted and small scale Rasta Music scene.

Edited by KimoMax

VERY bad advice!

and please explain to me why this is bad advise..... so whn international DJ's and perfoming artisits paly in bangkok, do you think they all have work permits issued ? , i think not as no one would play here

i am wating for mario to comment as i did mention i would be standed corrected, but DJ's or perfoming artisits are excempt from normal

but lets see

Everything is wrong about it, not a single thing right. Work permits are required, whether short term or long term ones.

If you dint know the answer to something it's of no use to anyone to speculate wrongly.

To OP, CockneyJoe:

You will need a Work Permit for any kind of work you do as a foreigner in Thailand. However, some clubs may accept you make a short guest-set as a test. You will need a Non-B visa from abroad for a WP. You can read more about WP in other forum threads at ThaiVisa.

You may have better chances for a job looking at the clubs/parties at Koh Samui/Koh Phangan (the FullMoon party island) - that is where a lot of foreign DJ's perform and that is where most of the young tourist head straight to, for having fun and party. Try fx. to search for Q-Bar Samui, Niki Beach Samui, Green Mango (Chaweng, Samui), Raggae Pub (Chaweng, Samui), Bar Solo (Chaweng Samui), Sound Club (Chaweng, Samui), Black Moon Party (Samui or Lake View Arena), Ark Bar (beach party Chaweng, Samui), Full Moon Party (Koh Phangan), Black Moon Party (Koh Phangan).

Lots of foreign DJ's - including many British - are performing here, either permanent or at special venues. May be worth to come down to the islands yourself and do a check on the music and party scene. However, be prepared, some of the thai DJs down here are damned good.

The thai DJs in discos aiming for a thai audience, seems to perform quite different, from the Western style, and talks a lot (in thai language).

Absolutely check out the link in post #14 about musicians arrested for playing in a bar without WP. Think it was Chiang Mai.

Correct, in Chiang Mai. Do not perform or play without a WP - one may get into serious problems.

As you see here Joe you have two groups.

1: Telling you to get out there and move about, make contacts and make what you want to happen happen.

2: Telling you that you are in grave danger of commiting multiple hellish sins for which you will fry.

The guys preaching No.1 are the sound (forgive me pun) geezers. Good knowledge of how things really work.

The guys preaching No.2 are the sort of fellows who get out of the shower if they need to pee, have always been dictated to, followed pointless rules all there life and are scared of everything.

You know who to listen to fella wink.gif

Look forward to hearing your success story biggrin.gif

Edited by ChristopherWilliamsBKK

2: Telling you that you are in grave danger of commiting multiple hellish sins for which you will fry.

The guys preaching No.2 are the sort of fellows who get out of the shower if they need to pee, have always been dictated to, followed pointless rules all there life and are scared of everything.

No one said any such thing. I simply said it was illegal --something he definitely needs to know, whether or not he decides to ignore the fact or not.

PS: I'm one of those people who don't consider DJ's to be either "musicians" or "performers"....

1: Telling you to get out there and move about, make contacts and make what you want to happen happen.

The guys preaching No.1 are the sound (forgive me pun) geezers. Good knowledge of how things really work.

Considering the number of DJ's that have posted on TV and then were never heard from after a few short initial posts (99%) I am sure we are all looking forward to hearing the OP's success story.

What a pile of crap. Listen to you and he has every chance of doing his next gig in the IDC.

• Like 1

If you want to work in Thailand the law requires that you have a work permit. If you don't have one and you get caught you will be sent to the IDC and, when you can afford to buy yourself a ticket, will be deported from Thailand. Whether you want to obey the law or take the chance and perhaps get away with it is 'up to you' as they say.

The IDC is not a fun place to spend your time.

i would really like to know does the guys from linkin park have work permits when they perform in bangkok...

please let me know if somebody has some information.

Temporary work permit authorization actually.

Same as for an international dj coming for an event, a famous chef participating at a food festival, +++

But don't worry they don't apply in person to get it... PA are made for that cool.gif