Led Lights

rickthailand

i have a small salt water pool (8x5) and have 2 led lights in it. the pool is 1.5 year old and i had to replace the lights 2 times already

my questions is how long should a led light in a pool work as to me i think in 1.5 year bought 3 new ones sounds to much

thanx

rick

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is they're probably Chinese made. The lights mostly installed here are cheap garbage that wouldn't be allowed in an aquarium back home but most of the installs make them replaceable by other brands, next time see if an upgrade is possible though the options are still limited, stay away from Emaux which is one of the cheap Chinese brands, Astral is one of the better ones installed but still low quality. They may need to lower your pool to do that though.. So if that is the problem then weighing an entire replacement all at once is your task..

First off is the light installed in a niche going through the wall? Or is it installed on the surface? Approximately how large is it's diameter?

That doesn't mean that good lights aren't available mind you it's just that between a poorly educated pool building industry and a mostly uninformed customer base with most either buying their first pool or from European countries with 40 year old technological understanding so the options are never presented nor known about.

This light is one good example, average lifetime is about 40 years and light bulbs somewhere about 6-8 years.. With easily replaceable bulbs.

American products lights

SAm_SAL_smthum.JPG

Is available here, cost more money but weeeellll worth it over the offerings available but needs proper installation from new, a weak point that face ALL light installs here.

And yes before you say it it's high quality, marine grade, stainless so salt pools won't hurt it and it also comes in plastic face rings as shown in the link. But these lights even in stainless form have been installed in REAL salt pools, meaning ocean salt percentage which is muuuuuch higher and have a very long lifetime of trouble free usage..

The entire process of light installation here is a great frustration (putting it diplomatically) for future servicing or replacement on a piece of equipment that requires it as much as anything else, it's just installed long enough to get you past your warrantee (in some cases even less) and from there it's a major headache for owners, those who haven't had problems are blessed at the moment but your time will come I'm afraid so enjoy it while you can...

The thing I like the most is when I see companies cutting cords underwater and splicing new cords to it with no way to properly reseal and insulate the cords because there was no way to remove the entire light cord as a whole, as intended when replacing like there should be, having been cemented in the wall. This is especially bad in salt pools as the voltage is DC so it travels to the nearest grounding point which will be any conducting metal and could be great distances. It will bore directly through it like a drill causing an impossible leak or expensive damage depending on the location and no one will know the cause. If that happens to be your new stainless light it will bore dozens of tiny holes in it ruining it in just months and now you think the light was junk when the installation was really the problem... The pool industry here is really so naive and mostly foreign Euro or Aussie owned or inspired and sorry to say one is only slightly better then the other for reasons mentioned..

Edited by WarpSpeed

thanks for the replies i talked to the firm that build my pool and they said yes there is a problem with the lights from the

factory as they let water in. they are waiting for new lights and than replace them in my pool

rick

So how do they plan on replacing them underwater? New lights come with their own sealed cords so if they didn't install a conduit (seldom done here and even then not correctly) then there is no way to replace the light and splice the new cord with the old cord safely underwater.. Actually there is but since I haven't mentioned it yet and have never seen anyone here do it before nor have I showed them how so I doubt they'll know the technique :whistling: .. I know that comes off as arrogant and sorry for that, it's not, it's just well informed confidence but it's for you to be aware of and ask questions, get answers and post them here and we'll go from there..