How Do I Say This?

oshoshitzu1

How do I say: "Marriage of Convenience" in Thai ?

Just to be clear: "Marriage of Convenience" means, for example, when one person (a citizen of the UK) is paid to marry another person (a foreigner) only for the purpose of getting the foreigner a British passport. As a result the married couple would not be living together once in the UK, they would live separate lives and later divorce once the passport has been obtained for the foreigner.

Please use Thai Script if possible.

Thanks Very Much

Edited by oshoshitzu1

what you explain me it sound like การจ้างแต่งงาน(garn jâang dtàeng ngaan)

example, i want green gard in US, then i find a US guy and paid for him .. so i get marriage bill and canbe US citizen .. but in fact , we dont stay together.. just take advantage from legal stuff to be a US citizen

when i use web dictionary

Marriage of Convenience

การคลุมถุงชน ( kloom tŏong chon )hold an arranged marriage ; hold a blind marriage

Edited by BambinA

การจ้างแต่งงานเพื่อได้รับสัญชาติและหนังสือเดินทางของอีกประเทศหนึ่ง

Pay to marry somebody in order to obtain citizenship and passport of another country.

I think this is clear enough. Can a native Thai please confirm or correct? :o

การจ้างแต่งงานเพื่อได้รับสัญชาติและหนังสือเดินทางของอีกประเทศหนึ่ง

Pay to marry somebody in order to obtain citizenship and passport of another country.

I think this is clear enough. Can a native Thai please confirm or correct? :D

correct and clear ja :o

ขอบคุณมากครับ น้องBambi. ถ้าหากว่า มีอะไรผิดพลาดไม่ต้องเกรงใจแก้นะ พี่ยังเป็นนักเรียนอยู่เหมือนกัน :o

(Thank you Bambi. If I have made any mistakes please feel free to tell me - I am still a student).

How do I say:  "Marriage of Convenience" in Thai ?

Just to be clear: "Marriage of Convenience" means, for example, when one person (a citizen of the UK)  is paid to marry  another person  (a foreigner) only for the purpose of getting the foreigner a British passport.  As a result the married couple would not be living together once in the UK, they would live separate lives and later divorce once the passport has been obtained for the foreigner.

Thanks Very Much

I may be wrong but I don't think a Thai girl marrying a UK citizen will entitle her to a British passport, I think they closed that loophole years ago. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong people.

Just to pick a nit but Marriage of convenience usually refers to a marriage for family business purposes, or to conceal inconvienent facts. I believe the phrase you're looking for is "Sham Marriage" (or possibly even "Fraud") which in Thai might be แต่งงานเก๊ (dtaeng ngaan gay, which should be easy to remember!)

ขอบคุณมากครับ น้องBambi. ถ้าหากว่า มีอะไรผิดพลาดไม่ต้องเกรงใจแก้นะ พี่ยังเป็นนักเรียนอยู่เหมือนกัน :D

OMG..i love this guy .. and would love u to be my older brother if u dont mind :o:D

Just to be clear: "Marriage of Convenience" means, for example, when one person (a citizen of the UK)  is paid to marry  another person  (a foreigner) only for the purpose of getting the foreigner a British passport.  As a result the married couple would not be living together once in the UK, they would live separate lives and later divorce once the passport has been obtained for the foreigner.

Thanks Very Much

I may be wrong but I don't think a Thai girl marrying a UK citizen will entitle her to a British passport, I think they closed that loophole years ago. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong people.

This was just used as an example to explain what I meant by marriage of convenience

Thanks Very Much

Sierra01: I agree with you because in the serious situation like this. I don't think Uk.gov allow people to their country easily just by married with UK man. As I know in the North America you can't do that, they are very strong policy and check all informations when Thai people ask for visas go to their countries.

"Marriage of Convenience" I translate from your explaination.

= "แต่งงานเฉพาะกิจ" "theng -Nyhun-Cha-ploa-Kij"

Means ...marry for business

...marry for some political reasons

...marry for temporary sexual

...marry for taxes hiding

...marry for ...infinity

You are right a foreigner cannot easily enter the UK just because they have married a British person.

The example I gave was just a hypothetical story in order to define what I meant by "Marriage of Convenience".

If I had just asked about a "Marriage of Convenience" you can bet that someone would have asked me to explain what I meant by "Marriage of Convenience".

Edited by oshoshitzu1

Dont waste your time, there is no way a "foreigner" married to a UK subject is entitled to a British Passport unless they legally live together in the UK for three straight years.

This includes showing all documentation relating to taxes and many other things.

In the past this meant that a british husband could not leave the UK for long periods leaving his so called wife at home, which I believe may now be amended.

Check it out with the local Embassy or FCO and find the rules before getting involved

Peoples, though I'm sure your concern is very much appreciated, oshoshitzu1 is not asking any questions about UK immigration. He/she is simply posting a question in the Thai language forum about how to translate "Marriage of Convenience". (Just so we don't end up straying :D)

The ones suggested above are okay I guess, but I'd like to suggest what I've heard used informally: แต่งงานกันหลอกๆ (taeng-gnan gan lohk lohk), which would translate to something like "faking the marriage"

meadish - ภาษาไทยพี่เยี่ยมเลยค่ะ! :o

Edited by siamesekitty

• 2 weeks later...