Where To Find Dijon Mustard In Issan

gosompoi

The Topic says it all, does anyone know if Dijon mustard exists in Issan? I am looking for normal condiment size jar. I have a recipe that calls for Dijon mustard and I have not be able to find any.

Edited by gosompoi

Hello All, you location might help.

Isan is a good chunk of LOS.

The Mall Korat has 2 or 3 types(brands).

Don't go much to Lotus or Big C, so can't

say if they do.

Klang Plaza 1 & 2 I'm almost positive they

do also. (Crown Plaza)

rice555

Hello All, you location might help.

Isan is a good chunk of LOS.

The Mall Korat has 2 or 3 types(brands).

Don't go much to Lotus or Big C, so can't

say if they do.

Klang Plaza 1 & 2 I'm almost positive they

do also. (Crown Plaza)

rice555

I have checked the Big C in Sisaket and the Tesco Lotus in Sisaket.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Tesco or Big C Ubon, but don't stake a 130k round trip on that info alone. If you get stuck I can probably bring you one back from Tops International supermarket in Khon Kaen early next week. I happen to be visiting KK this weekend to pick up pool supplies and plan to visit Tops Intl. I will be passing thru Meuang SiSaket on the way back Monday 12 September.

I say probably because it depends on my Thai wife's programme not changing .... yet again (nuff said?!)

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Tesco or Big C Ubon, but don't stake a 130k round trip on that info alone. If you get stuck I can probably bring you one back from Tops International supermarket in Khon Kaen early next week. I happen to be visiting KK this weekend to pick up pool supplies and plan to visit Tops Intl. I will be passing thru Meuang SiSaket on the way back Monday 12 September.

I say probably because it depends on my Thai wife's programme not changing .... yet again (nuff said?!)

Thank you, that is a very nice offer. But, I am 30km from Sisaket just outside of Rasisalai living in Issan village. It would not be convenient and almost impossible task to find my home. But thanks much for the offer.

Have you got any type of mustard at all?

Try this:

1 tablespoon of mustard

1 teaspoon of white vinegar

1 tablespoon of mayonnaise

sugar to taste.

Thai mayonnaise is usually quite sweet already so maybe no need for the sugar.

Only mustard I currently have is frenches yellow mustard for Hamburger and dogs.

Try this:

1 tablespoon of mustard

sugar to taste.

Only mustard I currently have is frenches yellow mustard for Hamburger and dogs.

And it is AWFUL .NO? 555555, I commiserate with the O.P. I love good mustard ,but it is totally unobtainable here. So sad

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, that is a very nice offer. But, I am 30km from Sisaket just outside of Rasisalai living in Issan village. It would not be convenient and almost impossible task to find my home. But thanks much for the offer.

umm, so meet him in town? how difficult do you need to make this?

Try this:

1 tablespoon of mustard

sugar to taste.

And it is AWFUL .NO? 555555, I commiserate with the O.P. I love good mustard ,but it is totally unobtainable here. So sad

I wouldn't knock French's mustard...I've substituted French's in my pork loin with mustard when I didn't have any dijon and it was passable...

but, of course, French's is fcukin' YANK mustard so it's gotta be fcukin' AWFUL, etc., etc...

Try this:

1 tablespoon of mustard

sugar to taste.

I wouldn't knock French's mustard...I've substituted French's in my pork loin with mustard when I didn't have any dijon and it was passable...

but, of course, French's is fcukin' YANK mustard so it's gotta be fcukin' AWFUL, etc., etc...

It is AWFUL and the OP has gone down one notch in my estimation.

Heinz yellow mustard is the only passable substitute for Colmans in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

"Heinz yellow mustard is the only passable substitute for Colmans in my book."

???

now I'm confused... american mustard whether it be French's, Heinz or whatever has no resemblance to english mustard, Colmans being the only brand that I know of, either mixed or powder...on a hot dog or a sausage you SLATHER american mustard...the more the better...you try doing that with english mustard and your inflamed sinuses will take the top of your head off...

the English are quite dainty with their mustard...just a little bit with their ros bif and etc...the Americans per usual BARGE IN with mustard all over the place...and we don't put mustard on roast beef neither, it's gotta be a nice gimlet gravy...SLATHERED of course

'hooray fer the red white and bluuuue'...a rawcus anthem if there ever was one with mustard all over the place...St George he sniffs: 'heathens...' but no one pays any attention to english cuisine anyway...

'Oi, give us a bit of mustard with me pie...'...I'll give ye a 'pie' in the bunghole, mate... :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

As I am neither English nor American, I probably know nothing about mustard, except that Dijon can be found both in Ubon and Surin! ;)

Germans and Japanese know a thing or two about mustard as well. English mustard is hot but even that can't hold a candle to Japanese wasabi - I was almost physically sick when I got about half a teaspoon of it in my mouth by mistake last month (it was hiding under some leaves courtesy of Fujii in Ubon).

As I am neither English nor American, I probably know nothing about mustard, except that Dijon can be found both in Ubon and Surin! ;)

Germans and Japanese know a thing or two about mustard as well. English mustard is hot but even that can't hold a candle to Japanese wasabi - I was almost physically sick when I got about half a teaspoon of it in my mouth by mistake last month (it was hiding under some leaves courtesy of Fujii in Ubon).

I believe that wasabi is horseradish...and yeah, I was with a british associate in a restaurant in LA once who had never eaten japanese food about 25 years ago and wasn't able to stop her before she popped a wad into her mouth...it was distressing... :(

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I believe that wasabi is horseradish...and yeah, I was with a british associate in a restaurant in LA once who had never eaten japanese food about 25 years ago and wasn't able to stop her before she popped a wad into her mouth...it was distressing... :(

Yes you are right.

All this talk of mustard got me sticking a jar of Dijon in my bags when I came back from the UK last week. I know I can get it in Ubon but it saved me about 60 baht (cheap charlie that I am). Brought some mayonnaise as well, as every jar I buy here is disgustingly sweet. Now all I need is to find a good hamburger meat!

Edited by SantiSuk

Yes you are right.

All this talk of mustard got me sticking a jar of Dijon in my bags when I came back from the UK last week. I know I can get it in Ubon but it saved me about 60 baht (cheap charlie that I am). Brought some mayonnaise as well, as every jar I buy here is disgustingly sweet. Now all I need is to find a good hamburger meat!

for mince or ground beef you'll have to pop a meat grinder in your luggage or buy one locally...there is none available outside of western supermarkets as far as I can tell...even if you find beef in your local tescos they will refuse to grind it for you...plenty of ground pork available...

Yes you are right.

Makro has two or three different kinds of ground beef in the frozen beef section in 1 kg bags.

There are many places to by various kinds of meat grinders in Ubon.

Makro, Home Hub, Home Mart, the el equipment shop on the ring road, and several smaller restaurant/home/kitchen tool suppliers have them. :D

Yes you are right.

Makro has two or three different kinds of ground beef in the frozen beef section in 1 kg bags.

Makro has minced beef in the fresh meat section as well,as has Big C but not sure if this is nationwide for the latter

Edited by janverbeem

• 2 weeks later...