Anti Malarial Drug, Malanil

Thanyaburi Mac

I check the pharmacy that I usually frequent in the Rangsit market, no dice. Checked with Zullig, they said go to a hospital.Anyone see it on the street?Seems to me I bought some last year. This is for a group of friends coming from the U.S. then heading out to the Lao-Vietnamese border for a 10 day stay in a village context.Mac

Hi, not sure about that Malanil,, but to increase your search options I use Malerone when travelling to Africa and it appears fairly mild with little if any side effects, but I don't have to source it in LOS since I bring enough home with me for my return trips so sorry other than alternatives I can't help you much there,, one to be careful with I would suggest is Larium, since I believe there are many side effects with that.

Antimalarials are not sold over the counter here due to problems of resistance and also incorrect use. The best place to go for advice on what if anything to take (and the drugs themselves if indicated) is the Hospital for Tropical Diseases on Rajawithi a few blocks down from Victory Monument

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/

Personally I would not take prophylaxis even staying at night in rural villages on the Thai-Lao border as there is usually not transmission within the villages, just in the surrounding forest. I'd only take it if I were going to be camping out at night in the forest in that area or if my planned activities were such that I might still be in the forest after dark. the malaria vector is quite reliable about only biting at night.

An easy way to tell if there is transmission within the village itself is the pattern of infection among villagers. If most of the villagers with malaria are older boys and men, with few women and virtually no small children/babies, it's a good bet that transmission isn't within the village proper.

Transmission within villages is rare because 1) the clearing of trees etc which accompanies settlement tends to remove the vector and (2) people tend not to settle in areas where, even after clearing the brush, malaria is prevalent.

Antimalarials are not sold over the counter here due to problems of resistance and also incorrect use. The best place to go for advice on what if anything to take (and the drugs themselves if indicated) is the Hospital for Tropical Diseases on Rajawithi a few blocks down from Victory Monument

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/

Personally I would not take prophylaxis even staying at night in rural villages on the Thai-Lao border as there is usually not transmission within the villages, just in the surrounding forest. I'd only take it if I were going to be camping out at night in the forest in that area or if my planned activities were such that I might still be in the forest after dark. the malaria vector is quite reliable about only biting at night.

An easy way to tell if there is transmission within the village itself is the pattern of infection among villagers. If most of the villagers with malaria are older boys and men, with few women and virtually no small children/babies, it's a good bet that transmission isn't within the village proper.

Transmission within villages is rare because 1) the clearing of trees etc which accompanies settlement tends to remove the vector and (2) people tend not to settle in areas where, even after clearing the brush, malaria is prevalent.

Sheryl

Agree, but up to them, the visitors. FYI, last time I took a malaria pill was back in 1964 when I was in the Army here!

Mac

Hi, not sure about that Malanil,, but to increase your search options I use Malerone when travelling to Africa and it appears fairly mild with little if any side effects, but I don't have to source it in LOS since I bring enough home with me for my return trips so sorry other than alternatives I can't help you much there,, one to be careful with I would suggest is Larium, since I believe there are many side effects with that.

Malanil is just another trade name for Malarone and they contain exactly the same ingredients