Helmet Stank

KRS1

Have you tried washing your hair as well? laugh.gif

Only joking, no offence intended.

I was in the same situation only a week back, I managed to get rid of the smell thankfully 2nd time around cleaning it all.

I now wear a bandana type of thing under the helmet to help stop any sweat being absorbed into the lining.

Hope you get sorted.

Where did you buy your bandanas?

Just remembered. Before bleach people used hydrogen peroxide.

From Wikipedia

220px-Hydrogen_peroxide_30_percent_on_skin.JPG

Domestic uses

It is absorbed by skin upon contact and creates a local skin capillary embolism that appears as a temporary whitening of the skin.

I>3% H2O2 is effective at treating fresh (red) blood-stains in clothing and on other items. It must be applied to clothing before blood stains can be accidentally "set" with heated water. Cold water and soap are then used to remove the peroxide treated blood.

When I get back to Pattaya I will try the hairdressers supply house on Pattaya Thai. They should have it in non-lethal percentages.

Edited by BSJ

Wouldn't chlorine bleach affect the color of the fabric?

I think its not just bacteria that makes it stink, i think its all that old dried sweat that gets emulsified when the newest wave of hot sweat liquifies it again and causes it to stank.

I wonder if one of those fabric softener sheets would work. It could absorb the funk as well as release april fresh scents.

Doesnt ultraviolet or infrared light kill bacteria? Some how i don't think that would kill the smell.

Stink comes from bacteria, believe me.

Oxygen and ultraviolets kill bacteria - but neither can penetrate into fabric.

Find an antiseptic/disinfectant and you will become happy eventually

Ummm. yeah, it's the bacterial that's growing on the foam and fabric, using nutrients obtain from sweats that's actually causing the smell.

But is it bacterial smell or fungal smell. Or am I just thinking too much :blink:

I've been using a spray for shoes. Seems to work well, figures that anything that can kill smelly shoes odour, can work for helmet.

Is there anything that would wreck a helmet in it???

The spray in your case acts as a masking agent and not a cleaner. To yuor other point, what propellent is in the can to force the mixture out?

Have you tried washing your hair as well? laugh.gif

Only joking, no offence intended.

I was in the same situation only a week back, I managed to get rid of the smell thankfully 2nd time around cleaning it all.

I now wear a bandana type of thing under the helmet to help stop any sweat being absorbed into the lining.

Hope you get sorted.

Where did you buy your bandanas?

You can buy a bandanna almost any place to be honest. They have them in the helmet shop across from Suriwong Book Store in CM.

I also got a free one in the box with my Hyperpro shock.

This is unfortunately a VERY common problem. Most higher end helmets now have removable liners so that helps some. I recently bought a Nolan N43 Air and am happy to say that the ventilation is so good that I have not yet even had to remove the liner. My other two helmets did have odor problems. Both of my other helmets are open face and I have noticed that the odor goes away over time. Since I have had the Nolan Air, I have not worn the other two open face helmets but when I was wearing them, alternating helmets so one can completely dry out helps a lot.

Just washed my Real G-Force helmet today.Popped the liners into the washing machine with the bike jacket and set the machine to gentle wash while using liquid detergent for baby clothes. Put some of the liquid detergent in a big bucket filled with water and dunked the helmet in to soak while I go for groceries at Tesco. When I came back I rinsed the helmet and sat it on the clothes rack to air dry. If it's still a bit wet tomorrow, I'll take my hairdryer and use the lowest setting on the helmet.

This is unfortunately a VERY common problem. Most higher end helmets now have removable liners so that helps some. I recently bought a Nolan N43 Air and am happy to say that the ventilation is so good that I have not yet even had to remove the liner. My other two helmets did have odor problems. Both of my other helmets are open face and I have noticed that the odor goes away over time. Since I have had the Nolan Air, I have not worn the other two open face helmets but when I was wearing them, alternating helmets so one can completely dry out helps a lot.

Never fear... just a matter of time! I have been out in the rain a few times too many this week, and I'm battling a nasty odor in the N43 Air now. Trying to dry it out, but might need to switch back to the Shoei tomorrow if it's still on the nose.

What I have started doing though, is when I come home, I just pull the liner inside out (not fully removed) and sit the helmet on it's side near the fan, just so it can get some air circulation. It seems to help a fair bit as a daily preventative measure.

Cheers.

Just washed my Real G-Force helmet today.Popped the liners into the washing machine with the bike jacket and set the machine to gentle wash while using liquid detergent for baby clothes. Put some of the liquid detergent in a big bucket filled with water and dunked the helmet in to soak while I go for groceries at Tesco. When I came back I rinsed the helmet and sat it on the clothes rack to air dry. If it's still a bit wet tomorrow, I'll take my hairdryer and use the lowest setting on the helmet.

the key is to dry it very quickly, otherwise bacteria have time to grow

Helmet's sitting in the front porch now all nice and dry. After a few minutes of it on the rack, I grew impatient so I took a hair dryer, set it at minimum and had a go at the helmet for a few minutes. I polished the visor with a glass cleaner before attaching it back to the helmet.

Maybe I'll get another helmet to alternate with the one I have now, one of the places I get "bike-stuff" from is having a sale on HJC, LS2, and even Shark lids.

Never fear... just a matter of time! I have been out in the rain a few times too many this week, and I'm battling a nasty odor in the N43 Air now. Trying to dry it out, but might need to switch back to the Shoei tomorrow if it's still on the nose.

What I have started doing though, is when I come home, I just pull the liner inside out (not fully removed) and sit the helmet on it's side near the fan, just so it can get some air circulation. It seems to help a fair bit as a daily preventative measure.

Cheers.

A week or so ago, I knew I was going to get wet so I made sure I closed the vents. I'd bet that those big vents will let a lot of water into the helmet. I was impressed that there was no water leakage around the face shield.

• 9 months later...