High-Rise Fires Prompt Concern About Bangkok's Firefighting Capabilities

webfact

High-rise Fires Prompt Concern about Firefighting Capabilities

A fire is the worst nightmare for home owners and it is particularly true for fires at high-rises or in congested communities.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration assures its firefighting capabilities are up to date but encourages home and building owners to help themselves too by making sure their smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are in working condition.

The blaze at a luxurious condominium in the Sukhumvit area several weeks ago has highlighted concerns about Bangkok's firefighting capacity for high-rises.

There is a myth believed by many Thais that the country's firefighting unit does not have adequate trucks and firefighting equipments to combat blazes higher than the tenth floor, but Warin dispels those fears.

An efficient working system by firefighters should help quell the concern of the public but the management of high-rises have to be on the alert as well.

Both those living or working in these buildings, as well as the building managers, have to prioritize their safety and follow the advise given by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's firefighting unit.

Supanin Sangruji, Thai-Asean News Network.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-08

footer_n.gif

Both those living or working in these buildings, as well as the building managers, have to prioritize their safety and follow the advise given by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's firefighting unit.

In other words: Working Together!

Well, that pretty much says it all for this article. Open and shut case!

NEXT!...

The fire department could have the best, most up to date equipment in the world. It's not going to stop some serious damage to a building before the fire department can get there.

Bad traffic, which never gets out of the way of emergency vehicles, and small streets will mean the fire department will take 20-30 minutes to get to a fire. The building needs to have all it's systems working to make sure they can get everyone out before the fire department get there.

That means, working alarms, connected sprinklers, and unlocked fire escapes.

...and the bars/dance clubs still have their exits blocked or locked after the New Year's eve fire of 2008 that killed 61 people and injured over 200. "Talk Talk"- that is all this is, no enforcement of ordances or educating the public in what to do when an ambulance or fire truck needs to get through traffic.

The roadway treatment of ambulances and other emergency vehicles here -- Thai drivers ignore them -- has always been one of the things that has amazed me about this place.

Sure, traffic in central areas is often bad, and it's not easy to pull over or make way.... But even when the traffic's not bad and there's room for drivers to get out of the way, they don't, and they don't even try.

It seemingly would be such a simple thing to make that part of the driving rules, and probably would save many lives in getting people to hospitals quicker and getting firefighting equipment on scene quicker... But apparently, the authorities can't be bothered... Too many other important things to worry about.

I remember that fire. I was at the Sala Dang BTS station on my bicycle. I could smell it so I followed my nose towards it. I ended up on the Sukhamvit road where I first heard, then saw, then passed and finally beat by a good 15 minutes or more both the fire trucks and ambulances heading to that fire. When I left and went back to the main road there were still fire trucks stuck in traffic. Something should really be done so that they can get through. I should not be able to ride for nearly an hour and beat a fire truck to an emergency.

The worst thing is probably that Thai people do not respect and admire firefighters in the way that Westerners do. Instead, they are working class inferiors, servants, in the minds of many people. "Why should I get out of the way for my inferiors?" is part of the mentality.

there is no emergency service in this country at all ! It takes one to know one and there ain't any here!

If the emergency services were taught to drive to an emergency with pro active emergency driving people would appreciate there is an emergency. I have been shocked at the many times i see ambulance drivers just parked in the traffic without making any effort to get through the traffic. What also doesn't help they have some stupid siren that could be on an ice cream van - the siren should make an audible noise that wakes some of the drivers on the roads and says what is coming and where from!!

It has been touched on in this thread they are not respected and to be honest most of the firefighters are council workers who water the plants at the sides of the road - i see it everyday!

I tried to help put out a fire behind the houses we live in ( last year ) - i went to the locker on the water bowser type truck to find ONE length of hose - which i ran out and connected the branch nozzle as the two lads driving looked in amazement they had no idea!!! RIDICULOUS!

The roadway treatment of ambulances and other emergency vehicles here -- Thai drivers ignore them -- has always been one of the things that has amazed me about this place.

Sure, traffic in central areas is often bad, and it's not easy to pull over or make way.... But even when the traffic's not bad and there's room for drivers to get out of the way, they don't, and they don't even try.

It seemingly would be such a simple thing to make that part of the driving rules, and probably would save many lives in getting people to hospitals quicker and getting firefighting equipment on scene quicker... But apparently, the authorities can't be bothered... Too many other important things to worry about.

Even if the regulation is on the books, lack of enforcement means no compliance.

Have you seen the excellent quality fake policemen posted at some places in Bangkok to scare drivers into compliance by thinking a cop is watching?

A person has to feel enfranchised and that a law is in their benefit in order to get their cooperation in obeying it.

What we basically have is mass civil disobedience: "Unless you are standing over me with a stick and I think you will whack me good if I don't obey, I will not obey."

Edited by plumeria

The fire department could have the best, most up to date equipment in the world. It's not going to stop some serious damage to a building before the fire department can get there.

Bad traffic, which never gets out of the way of emergency vehicles, and small streets will mean the fire department will take 20-30 minutes to get to a fire. The building needs to have all it's systems working to make sure they can get everyone out before the fire department get there.

Like all those firetrucks the politicians have left in a parking lot to rust, because they can't differentiate between arresting and prosecuting for the kickbacks and such and actually making 'the evidence' go to work as originally planned for the good of all citizens. The stuff has languished in a parking lot unused, and never to be returned to manufacturer, because of fingers in the purchasing pie, but have NEVER given the Thai people one days service, just sitting and rusting till it can't be salvaged. The utter absurdity is mind boggling.

Of course, all the savvy TVF readers are probably already that aware everybody in Thailand needs to have a good wad of cash in the house (at least Baht 20,000 last I heard) in case of fire or for some reason the water hydrant just won't have any water in it and no fire fighting is going to be able to take place. THAT'S probably why the look of bewilderment when rich54321 started hooking up hoses and started the effort -- "Hey! I hadn't heard from the boss we got the go ahead. Did I miss something??!!"

But perhaps things have changed and my info is out of date.

Like all those firetrucks the politicians have left in a parking lot to rust, because they can't differentiate between arresting and prosecuting for the kickbacks and such and actually making 'the evidence' go to work as originally planned for the good of all citizens. The stuff has languished in a parking lot unused, and never to be returned to manufacturer, because of fingers in the purchasing pie, but have NEVER given the Thai people one days service, just sitting and rusting till it can't be salvaged. The utter absurdity is mind boggling.

Now THAT is a story idea the Nation should sink their teeth (gums?) into. Once again the wannabe farang journalists there should stay tuned to TVF for insight, info and ideas. And TVF should be on retainer for providing the valuable service. The local equivalent of a wire service. :D

NEXT!...

Every apartment should have a swimming pool en suite and a water bed as standard.and a firemans pole off every balcony.--remember the Big hotel fire years ago==Jomptien, near all fire door were padlocked, to stop illegal entry. Ha Ha 555555555

Now THAT is a story idea the Nation should sink their teeth (gums?) into. Once again the wannabe farang journalists there should stay tuned to TVF for insight, info and ideas. And TVF should be on retainer for providing the valuable service. The local equivalent of a wire service. :D

Google Samak and Apirak Fire Truck Scandal. That is old news.

NEXT!...

Every apartment should have a swimming pool en suite and a water bed as standard.and a firemans pole off every balcony.--remember the Big hotel fire years ago==Jomptien, near all fire door were padlocked, to stop illegal entry. Ha Ha 555555555

And the safety officer from my company was attending a conference there 3 weeks before along with about 200 other so called safety officers.

I witnessed the Le Raffine fire since our bicycle shop is around 300 meters away. I could not believe how long it took to extinguish the fire. Even without sprinklers, every floor has multiple fire hoses that the firemen must be able to use, especially when the fire is on the upper floors in a high-rise. Of course we now know the fire system was not pressurized. If so, I believe the fire could have been put out in twenty minutes with minimal damage.

The day after the fire, I was Googling for news about it and came across Le Raffine's own web site (in the "News" section) where they were publicizing the fact that they had held their second fire drill in conjunction with the local fire department. I can't believe it is still in their web site.

Everyone who lives or works in a high-rise should be asking their buildings' managers if their systems have been tested (I would want to see it for myself) and training provided.

In my former workplace (not in Thailand), each working group in my office (each had around a dozen people) are required to have two fire wardens - I was one. We had to have training/testing each year, with fire drills, inspections for hazards, and newsletters multiple times throughout the year. And I worked in a building only two stories tall!

I would advise office workers to train independently of your building's management if they don't want to help (and maybe threaten to leave once your lease is up). Identify/eliminate potential fire hazards, buy fire extinguishers (and know which type is good for what kind of fire), and know your escape routes and keep them clear.

My two satang...

I presume you're talking about the firetrucks that were the subject of the BKK BMA bidding scandal and allegations...

I've read a lot about the case, but never seen anything about whether the equipment actually arrived and what became of it...

Any sources/articles re the subject you mention above?

It's not just traffic that makes the response time of emergency services a joke here.

I was playing pool at a bar on the corner of 2nd Rd and Soi 11 in Patts when I heard an accident. A farang on a motorbike had plowed into the back of a Baht bus. The farang was on the street, unconscious and bleeding quite badly. The Baht bus driver fled the scene and all the Thais in the area were more concerned with taking pictures with their phones than calling anyone to help. Luckily a couple of motorbike taxis working across from the bar I was at went to block traffic and called the police and hospital.

It took over 20 minutes for a joke of an ambulance (a pickup truck) to arrive from Pattaya International which is just 8 streets away and almost 10 minutes more for the police to come (their station is even closer than the hospital). This was at 4:00am, no traffic at all. I could have walked to both the police station and hospital and back in 25 minutes.

Just lucky they didn't call Pattaya Memorial. Would have taken 3 hours to show up and they would have stolen the guy's money and kicked him out of the ER because he had no money.

When you live in Thailand and can get past the illusionary smile thing that seems to captivate occasional tourists you see the real everyday Thai. Totally self absorbed. Ambulance, fire truck, emergency, any kind of normal civil function has nothing to do with me. I am me in my own world and unless you will impact my "face" , I pay you no attention, you are nothing. I drive in front of you as if you don't exist. You are dying, it's not my concern. I will remain in the same lane blocking you, because who you are and what you are doing is an imposition to me. I am Thai, and if you don't understand that then you don't understand me and my "Thainess". Now call ahead and tell them to just wait for your fire truck, because I will not move. You in the ambulance in my rear view mirror, have you got it yet? I don't care if the person you are rushing to get to the hospital dies. They mean nothing to me. I am Thai. It is part of m my Thainess.

When you live in Thailand and can get past the illusionary smile thing that seems to captivate occasional tourists you see the real everyday Thai. Totally self absorbed. Ambulance, fire truck, emergency, any kind of normal civil function has nothing to do with me. I am me in my own world and unless you will impact my "face" , I pay you no attention, you are nothing. I drive in front of you as if you don't exist. You are dying, it's not my concern. I will remain in the same lane blocking you, because who you are and what you are doing is an imposition to me. I am Thai, and if you don't understand that then you don't understand me and my "Thainess". Now call ahead and tell them to just wait for your fire truck, because I will not move. You in the ambulance in my rear view mirror, have you got it yet? I don't care if the person you are rushing to get to the hospital dies. They mean nothing to me. I am Thai. It is part of m my Thainess.

If you feel this, then why on earth do you choose to live here?

NEXT!...

And the safety officer from my company was attending a conference there 3 weeks before along with about 200 other so called safety officers.

So the outcome of the conference was ????...................more safety ?? any thing to add, I was there watching as people leaped from windows.. where ever I am in any building I look for good escape routes, it's always in my mind, and sit at a vantage point.

I worked with health and safety in hotels, in Europe the danger threat in general is instilled into us, here I find the near total never mind-if it happens it happens attitude, same as in the north the Thai people have this strange saying if you die -you die, Mai pen rai.

I must have missed the part where you put down your drink and helped. Easier to just poke fun at others, yes?

It's not just traffic that makes the response time of emergency services a joke here.

I was playing pool at a bar on the corner of 2nd Rd and Soi 11 in Patts when I heard an accident. A farang on a motorbike had plowed into the back of a Baht bus. The farang was on the street, unconscious and bleeding quite badly. The Baht bus driver fled the scene and all the Thais in the area were more concerned with taking pictures with their phones than calling anyone to help. Luckily a couple of motorbike taxis working across from the bar I was at went to block traffic and called the police and hospital.

It took over 20 minutes for a joke of an ambulance (a pickup truck) to arrive from Pattaya International which is just 8 streets away and almost 10 minutes more for the police to come (their station is even closer than the hospital). This was at 4:00am, no traffic at all. I could have walked to both the police station and hospital and back in 25 minutes.

Just lucky they didn't call Pattaya Memorial. Would have taken 3 hours to show up and they would have stolen the guy's money and kicked him out of the ER because he had no money.

If you feel this, then why on earth do you choose to live here?

You beat me to it...I was just about to ask the same question. To the author...Please take a moment to read what you wrote, and ask yourself why any sane person would surround themselves with (what they believe) are these types of people. I would be happy to give you a ride to the airport. Really, why do you live here?

The worst thing is probably that Thai people do not respect and admire firefighters in the way that Westerners do. Instead, they are working class inferiors, servants, in the minds of many people. "Why should I get out of the way for my inferiors?" is part of the mentality.

We are fast approaching the anniversary of 9 / 11 in the States. "First responders" (Firemen) STILL do NOT have health coverage for the diseases they acquired working at ground zero.

Respect? Really??

I don't, we have left Thailand six months ago after four years. My Thai wife loves being away from that attitude. The fact of the matter is that 9 out of 10 postings on this site complain and crank about Thais and "their way" - so you and the other guy and others who naively ask 'why would we live here"? just don't get it.

I don't, we have left Thailand six months ago after four years. My Thai wife loves being away from that attitude. The fact of the matter is that 9 out of 10 postings on this site complain and crank about Thais and "their way" - so you and the other guy and others who naively ask 'why would we live here"? just don't get it.

Thank you, I agree with you 100% ! 9 out of 10 of the unhappy complainers probably should follow your wise example, pack up, and go where they can be happy. Congratulations on being smart enough to stop complaining and go away...But have you? You are now still complaining...from what country might we ask???

I presume you're talking about the firetrucks that were the subject of the BKK BMA bidding scandal and allegations...

I've read a lot about the case, but never seen anything about whether the equipment actually arrived and what became of it...

Any sources/articles re the subject you mention above?

No time to go searching. The info is out there.

Last I saw they were sitting under something like guard, in a large parking lot, I think near the docks they were off loaded from the ship, and haven't been moved or even started in years. Just sitting and rusting.

Edited by animatic