Import Duty On Household Effects

Maybe it should be clear that you cannot import "UNDER A RETIREMENT VISA". You can import stuff sure, but having a retirement visa does not bring and special allowances or conditions.

I imported my stuff. I used a shipping agent, and at this end the agent simply asked the Customs guys "how much is the admin fee?" They then informed me I could pay the Admin fee or have all my stuff opened, inspected and the official rate "calculated". For some reason they already knew the calculated fee would be double the admin fee.

Needless to say I just paid the "admin fee" and the stuff was delievered not even opened. I'd strongly recommend using a local agent to deal with Customs for you, or you might spend a lot of time, effort and energy getting your stuff out. Things might also go missing if they are opening and checking stuff.

Edited by Artamus

How much (roughly) would it be tax etc would it be for 12 boxes, one table, 2 chairs, golf clubs. 163 cuf in all

. No elecrical goods

I Know its a difficult question but any ideas greatly appreciated, i am having a local agent to sort out, he says no need for me to go to the port.

How does he/me pay the relevant fees?

Cheers All

How much (roughly) would it be tax etc would it be for 12 boxes, one table, 2 chairs, golf clubs. 163 cuf in all

. No elecrical goods

I Know its a difficult question but any ideas greatly appreciated, i am having a local agent to sort out, he says no need for me to go to the port.

How does he/me pay the relevant fees?

Cheers All

Difficult to say how much. They've got you over a barrel cos they've got your stuff and you want it. I bought in a container full of household stuff (20+ cube metres approx). Think I slipped them 30k Baht admin fee. The agent in Bangkok didn't need me, but he did need my passport (photocopy was not good enough) as passport gets some stamp/writing in it from customs. I paid the fee by bank transfer to the agents' account.

Edited by Artamus

one thing i would do is make a list of every single item in each box with the no.of the box,like its been said it all depends on the agent this end,my wife shipped 3cubic mts.and they ripped her off 12,000bht.they only stopped at that figure when she said she was sending someone to their office.

http://www.google.co...PykiMjg&cad=rja

This link says you can import used items if you are changing residence to Thailand.

Has the ruling been superceded? I wrote to customs asking about this and was also told that I can. It has been some time though.

The rule still exists:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects