Foreign Money For 1 Year Non-o

Guest DragonStar

Guest DragonStar

Hi,

I'm all set up and (almost) ready to go for the first 1 year extension of my current 90-day multiple non-o spouse dependancy visa.

The next step will be to "... remit into Thailand 400,000 baht - into a Thai personal bank account bearing my passport name... " as the professionals frase it.

I've got the money on my foreign account, and I've got the proper Thai account (Bangkok Bank) - already utilized for several minor transfers (no problems so far).

The questions is: just excactly what kind of documentation do I need to get from Bangkok Bank to satisfy the immi-officials (specifically the Chiang Mai ones)? Do I need to have "prepared" Bangkok Bank with respect to the upcoming documentation before transferring the money.

Thanks,

Just make a normal SWIFT wire transfer and your account book will have the "FTT" code in front of the entry. For the first time I would also ask Bank to make a copy of the wire transfer slip (which they will have and provides breakdown of transfer/fees). That, along with passbook/copies and the letter of account balance should be all they need. I never provided the transfer slip in later years and probably is not required first time but is better to be over prepared than under and have to make another trip.

Nothing you need to do at bank prior to transfer. As long as the account is in your name only (or with wife) it should be fine. Some have tried to use a joint account with someone other than wife from posts and only get credit for half the account balance in that case.

Edited by lopburi3

I never provided the transfer slip in later years and probably is not required first time but is better to be over prepared than under and have to make another trip.

Sorry to say, the transfer slip is required now as I was asked for the slip at

Bangkok Immigration Office, October 7, 2005 but I’m not sure about Chiang Mai

Immigration Office yet!

I never provided the transfer slip in later years and probably is not required first time but is better to be over prepared than under and have to make another trip.

Immigration Office yet!

Hi,

Was the original of the transfer slip required for show or only a copy ?

Thanks

Good idea to get the transfer slip, some imm offices are fussy.

Get a bank letter ( standard letter - the bank will know ) on the morning

prior to going to immigration, this letter will simply be a confirmation of

your account balance. They may or may not charge you about 100 B

for it.

prior to going to immigration, this letter will simply be a confirmation of

your account balance. They may or may not charge you about 100 B

for it.

You are lucky that your bank :

1. Issues such a letter on the spot (morning of going to immigration)

2. Kows what kind of letter you talk about

3. Only charges you 100 B

My experience with Bangkok Bank Uttaradit branch (central Thailand)

1. They require nearly a week as those letters are orderred and not made there (order friday pick-up maybe next wednesday but to be sure told thursday)

2. Needed me to give them a copy of what I wanted as they insisted it would be in english and .... (I suppose for Thais applying for a foreign visa) Long discussions on the letter, its contents (I insisted needed to mention the balance and also that the transferred funds came from outside Thailand) They seem to find it 'strange'

4. Was charged 200 B up front

Wonder what kind of letter will turn up next thursday....

Just my experience so that others make sure their bank knows what they are looking for in advance to avoid surprises.

Immigration Office yet!

Thanks very much and so we can better prepare can you provide details?

First or renewal?

Bank involved?

Did passbook show a code for foreign transfer?

Type of extension?

Any discussion with officer to indicate this may be a new requirement?

Was anything else asked for that may not have been previously?

Anyone else have the same experience recently?

prior to going to immigration,

My experience with Bangkok Bank Uttaradit branch (central Thailand)

1. They require nearly a week as those letters are orderred and not made there (order friday pick-up maybe next wednesday but to be sure told thursday)

2. Needed me to give them a copy of what I wanted as they insisted it would be in english and .... (I suppose for Thais applying for a foreign visa) Long discussions on the letter, its contents (I insisted needed to mention the balance and also that the transferred funds came from outside Thailand) They seem to find it 'strange'

4. Was charged 200 B up front

Bangkok Bank issue a standard computer generated document.

Got mine on the spot but some branches, I understand, require you return next working day. 200B. Does not specify that the funds come from abroad. As Lop says Imm can see that from passbook.

You have confused your bank by asking for a non-standard letter.

The letter need not have been issued on same day as you visit imm. For some who do not have a local imm. office that would be impractical. Mine was 3 days old.

Slightly off-topic. For retirees Nong Khai immigration website specifies:

5.3 The bank balance statement not more than 6 months old.

I think it should read 6 DAYS

Guest DragonStar

Thanks guys,

I gather, that by being this well prepared, I can expect just as many problems with this step as I've had with the preceeding steps - that is none.

Immigration Office yet!

Thanks very much and so we can better prepare can you provide details?

First or renewal?

Bank involved?

Type of extension?

First or renewal?

This was my third 365 days renewal extension of stay based on married to a Thai.

Bank involved?

Transfer from Bank in Europe to Thai Bank in Thailand.

Yes, Foreign Telegraphic Transfer (FTT)

Type of extension?

Non Immigrant O Visa

Extension of stay based on married to a Thai. (400.000 Baht)

The officer wanted a document about the transferred money and I gave it.

No, I did not ask if this was a new requirement.

Yes, I was forced to travel back home for our marriage certificate and our

rental apartment contract. (I did not bring these documents, thought this was

my third extension of stay and was not asked for these documents second extension of stay.)

I also had to sign my name, age and signature on a paper I never signed

before! (My wife has signed this paper every extension year.)

I don’t know! :o

I looked in my deposit book as I have transferred money from o/seas to buy a condo here, and the only entry was "U1"next to the amount of money. Definitely not the "FTT".

Should I be asking questions?

I looked in my deposit book as I have transferred money from o/seas to buy a condo here, and the only entry was "U1"next to the amount of money. Definitely not the "FTT".

FTT is used by Bangkok Bank PLC but other banks may use other codes. Even Bangkok Bank new passbook does not list FTT as being used (but it is).

As for condo believe that requires the origination bank notate that the money is to be used for condo purchase (but perhaps things have changed?).

If you transferred money from overseas to buy a condo in your name, you would (will?) need to provide the Land Office with a Foreign Exchange Transfer Form (used to be a TT3) issued by the receiving Thai bank proving that you did transfer foreign currency (not Baht) in for the specific purpose of buying a condo.

The Land Office are not interested in deciphering individual banks' codes as far as I am aware, although the Immigration Office on the face of it appear to.

For an inward foreign transaction

Bank of Asia shows FT

Siam Commercial shows XDN

appears the banks codes are not standardized. :o

I found the code for "U1". It was an "Up country transfer". The money I transferred from o/seas, went into the main bank office in Bangkok. It was then transferred to my account in Pattaya.

I also found a letter from the bank in question stating that the money I had withdrawn was for a purchase of Condo.

FTT is used by Bangkok Bank PLC.

Not always Lop.

When my pension was paid direct into BKK bank it was converted into THB by Bank of Scotland. Code used was NBL.

I now use a different method and I tell the bank to transfer GBP (I am given a choice THB or GBP) and code used is FTT.

My “wife” holds an BKK account on behalf of her sister in Germany who regularly transfers THB. Code NBL.

Imm had no problem identifying NBL or FTT with a flourish of their yellow marker pens.

FTT is used by Bangkok Bank PLC.

Not always Lop.

When my pension was paid direct into BKK bank it was converted into THB by Bank of Scotland. Code used was NBL.

I now use a different method and I tell the bank to transfer GBP (I am given a choice THB or GBP) and code used is FTT.

My “wife” holds an BKK account on behalf of her sister in Germany who regularly transfers THB. Code NBL.

Imm had no problem identifying NBL or FTT with a flourish of their yellow marker pens.

NBL is a bill deposit without passbook and I suspect due to the fact Baht was deposited rather than foreign currency.

When applying for my 1st 12mth extension last April I was not required to show where the money came from, in fact I had only opened up an account at the Udon Thani branch of Kasikornbank and transferred the 400K into it a few days prior from my Dindaeng account. The Bank letter was generated at Udon and that book was the only evidence they wanted not being interested in the other account or how the funds got there. (I was employed here for a number of years by an American multinational).

Lopburi3 - Can I drop in a question at this point?

From previous posts I have indicated that I will just leave the cash there and let it stagnate just using it to get the annual visa extension letter. After I fully deplete the funds in the Dindaeng account I will be using foreign income sources.

In your opinion is there any indication that existing visa extension holders will have to show where initial 400K came from? Does the fact that it was obtained through legal employment cover it?

When applying for my 1st 12mth extension last April I was not required to show where the money came from, in fact I had only opened up an account at the Udon Thani branch of Kasikornbank and transferred the 400K into it a few days prior from my Dindaeng account. The Bank letter was generated at Udon and that book was the only evidence they wanted not being interested in the other account or how the funds got there. (I was employed here for a number of years by an American multinational).

Lopburi3 - Can I drop in a question at this point?

From previous posts I have indicated that I will just leave the cash there and let it stagnate just using it to get the annual visa extension letter. After I fully deplete the funds in the Dindaeng account I will be using foreign income sources.

In your opinion is there any indication that existing visa extension holders will have to show where initial 400K came from? Does the fact that it was obtained through legal employment cover it?

Once accepted there should not be any problem and you did have local employment and that is fully usable for a support type extension so do not see any problem.

I have mentioned that some activity is expected to be seen and there are likely to be questions if the money just sits and no job is apparent (job is considered outside Thailand income source as well as legal local employment). Income is one of the questions that has to be asked each time on the Thai interview sheet (your wife may answer it) so if no local job they will be looking for some kind of investment/job providing income that they can then see in your bank account. They are not likely to question details - and usually will be very low key. But they do not make the final decision so you should try to make it as easy as possible. I would use the local account and refill from the Dindaeng account as needed and be prepared to answer questions of local transfer if asked. But I believe the chance of questions will be less if the account you use had activity of some kind.