Foreigner Being A Private Investigator In Thailand

Renoir

Hi,

Is it possible for a foreigner to be a private investigator in Thailand. I do not want to be a PI but I am reading a nice novel by Christopher G. Moore and the protagonist is a PI. I was just wondering if that part of the story was credible. I have heard that foreigners are not allowed to do some jobs in Thailand but I do not recall where I read that.

Thanks,

Renoir

^ He'd stick out like a sore thumb on a surveillance mission. A 6 foot tall giant fruit.

Unless of course the PI jobs were in a Farang bar. Then if he were a Thai man he would stick out.

I did one investigation for a TV member who contacted me on this site. It was for free as the bar in question was right around the corner from where I lived at the time. It was pretty simple. I walked in the bar and asked one of the girls who I knew, “does Beem go with men or only cashier.” “She goes with men.” “Does she have Thai boyfriend?” “Yes, you know him, he drives that big chopper.”

The guy whom I gave the information to was not real happy about my findings. He never even offered to buy me a beer. He never even wrote me again.

Loyalty is a concept that has not made it real big with Thai bar girls yet. It is easy to get information.

When I was a younger more naive person I did an investigation on a dancer I was dating. She said she only danced. I waited outside of her bar in a bar across the street. About 30 minutes after she got to work she left with another Farang on a motorcycle taxi. It was her first of three bar fines that night.

I ran into a former work colleague from Hong Kong in Thailand a few years ago. He worked for a number of years in security in Hong Kong (for one of the very largest corporations there) and claimed to be doing quite a lot of freelance work in Thailand after retiring (we all retired in our early to mid fifties). He actually claimed to be doing some work for the highest levels in Thai society.

In these days of terrorism it would surprise me enormously if there were not some westerners working in Thailand in security and related professions, either for multi-national companies, or embassies, or you know who.

Doesn't that stickman site offer PI work?

If so perhaps because transactions are done through the internet?

That type of work would not be for me but I imagine it is a some what interesting job.

Except for the many times they probably have to break bad news to clients.

Edited by flying

That type of work would not be for me but I imagine it is a some what interesting job.

Checking to see how many bar fines people's girlfriends are getting when they're suppose to be "up north" - hardly interesting..... that is what 90% of the work would be for sure!

JH

Checking to see how many bar fines people's girlfriends are getting when they're suppose to be "up north" - hardly interesting..... that is what 90% of the work would be for sure!

JH

Sitting in a bar buying girls drinks, etc. all on expenses would seem like fun IMHO.

JH

Sitting in a bar buying girls drinks, etc. all on expenses would seem like fun IMHO.

For about 5 minutes.....

JH

As was stated, not on the restricted job category. I assume though you have 20-30 years of Law Enforcement experience and can speak fluent Thai which is what it would take to be successful.

How much professional experience is required to observe and/or "tail" someone? Fluency in Thai shouldn't be necessary as the hypothetical shamus would presumably be hired to watch some farang's bargirl-friend or be hired by a bargirl/wife/gf to tail her suspicious acting farang mate.

As was stated, not on the restricted job category. I assume though you have 20-30 years of Law Enforcement experience and can speak fluent Thai which is what it would take to be successful.

How much professional experience is required to observe and/or "tail" someone? Fluency in Thai shouldn't be necessary as the hypothetical shamus would presumably be hired to watch some farang's bargirl-friend or be hired by a bargirl/wife/gf to tail her suspicious acting farang mate.

Its a bit more involved than you think, its NOT like the tv......