Extortion

Rick1

There has been a group of 'police' visiting some of the local bars in my area, and demanding that they produce an 'entertainment license' for playing music.

Many of my Thai friends told them to go away, however a number of Farang owners were pressured (not knowing about this alleged license) and threatened into paying 'fines' for not having the required license.

My question is a simple one. does a small local bar need this type of license/ does it even exist?

One farang bar owner I know was forced to pay 50,000 under threat.

When some of the other bar owners went to the local police station, they were brushed off and no answers given.

I read an article in the Gazette a few weeks ago about how tailors in Kata were paying money to police. As if this were an unusual event.

The fact is, that all bars have to pay police a few thousand Baht every month for 'protection'. This extortion is wide spread over the whole of the island.

But the 'music license' is a new one to me.

Can the anyone tell me about the 'music license'. Is it really a requirement?

Also, who should my friend address his complaint to, about the apparent extortion by the local Bangtao BIB?

Will the Governor of Phuket defend such robbery?

Any info/ help would be very appreciated as the local cops here are the root problem.

If you play a sound recording in public there are TWO separate license fees to be paid.

PPL collect the fees and distribute them to record companies and artists

PRS distribute the fees to composers and music publishers

It is illegal to play music in public without a license from both these organisations

However it would be interesting to see if they still demanded money off you even if you had this licence?

If you play a sound recording in public there are TWO separate license fees to be paid

PRS distribute the fees to composers and music publishers[/size][

It is illegal to play music in public without a license from both these organisations

However it would be interesting to see if they still demanded money off you even if you had this licence?

hi,the company who use this scam,thats what it is,is R K T publishing,they usually turn up at 9.30 10,pm. They intimidate your staff by sheer number. They will have one phony cop with them and a cop taking a bung at the police station.They are not actually looking for a license,they scam you on copyright.If you are playing copy cd s they are more convincing,but really they have no authority.Firstly, dont let them go near your computer,They will ask you to unplug it,And they will insist you go to police station. Refuse,do not unplug your computer,instead google r k t publishing,they have copyright over a small selection of thai musicians. Start to film them,they do not want you to do that,phone friends and family nearby to build up your numbers,photo video.Get as many people as possible.The mouthpiece who speaks very good english is just that,there are 2 girls outside waiting for all this to take place,they are from R K T.They arrive normally in 1 white yaris and 2 trucks for the thugs.They have no power of arrest and no authority to enter.When the real copyright police come they have court orders and police in uniform,usually a big wig.We had this last year,and after consulting a lawyer,police and a judge,it was very clear we were scammed.IT IS A SCAM

If you play a sound recording in public there are TWO separate license fees to be paid.

PRS distribute the fees to composers and music publishers

hi,the company who use this scam,thats what it is,is R K T publishing,they usually turn up at 9.30 10,pm. They intimidate your staff by sheer number. They will have one phony cop with them and a cop taking a bung at the police station.They are not actually looking for a license,they scam you on copyright.If you are playing copy cd s they are more convincing,but really they have no authority.Firstly, dont let them go near your computer,They will ask you to unplug it,And they will insist you go to police station. Refuse,do not unplug your computer,instead google r k t publishing,they have copyright over a small selection of thai musicians. Start to film them,they do not want you to do that,phone friends and family nearby to build up your numbers,photo video.Get as many people as possible.The mouthpiece who speaks very good english is just that,there are 2 girls outside waiting for all this to take place,they are from R K T.They arrive normally in 1 white yaris and 2 trucks for the thugs.They have no power of arrest and no authority to enter.When the real copyright police come they have court orders and police in uniform,usually a big wig.We had this last year,and after consulting a lawyer,police and a judge,it was very clear we were scammed.IT IS A SCAM

I was more answering the question:

Does a small local bar need this type of license/ does it even exist?

The answer being yes.

If you have entertainment, even just cd's then Yes you need an entertainment license.

However, no you do not procure it at 9 PM from a gang that is offering to sell it to you in lieu of " fines".

I don't know but would this not be obtained from tthe same department that issues a business license.

Or does one not need a business license to operate a business?

Dude this was happening up here in Chiang Mai a few weeks ago, seems theyve moved down south. However the police in Phuket are bent as f..k

I seem to remember that not so long ago police arrested some of these so called music police. It was happening in Pattaya 2yrs ago but only on farang bar owners, most of which teach their young lady bar staff to scam tourist for so called lady drinks . Then get so called bar fine money ( pimp monies) from same tourist.

Con men getting conned by conmen don't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiang Rai was recently targeted by supposed plain clothes Music Police.

This time the Scam was about copy CD's and Music Copyright.

They were not regular Police and were representing themselfes as Copyright Enforcement.

Once the Bar representatives turned up at the Police Station they were faced with answering the charges laid by these probably Fake Enforcers or paying the requested amount of "Get Out Of Jail Fees" to these Thugs.

The same license enforcement happens in Udon Thani and Ubon Ratchathani, so don't think it is just a Farang bashing tactic. If you're a bar owner then a 'phone call to your retained lawyer should help. (By the way, music played from the syndicated True Visions channels is liable aswell!!)

I was more answering the question:

Does a small local bar need this type of license/ does it even exist?

The answer being yes.

Yes u do but remember there r 2 of them

I seem to remember that not so long ago police arrested some of these so called music police. It was happening in Pattaya 2yrs ago but only on farang bar owners, most of which teach their young lady bar staff to scam tourist for so called lady drinks . Then get so called bar fine money ( pimp monies) from same tourist.

Con men getting conned by conmen don't bother me.

The way i understand Thai law a farang cannot own a small bar in Thailand

As you said con men being conned who cares

In twelve years here, I have only had one bad experence with law enforcement and that was a new member of the harboumaster's office. But I have had two scams perpetrated on me by employees of a) the electric company; B) UBC Truevisions (twice!) neither of which the company at fault would make good on. In the first case, the electric company representative came to our office with the bill, his company ID around his neck and the same bill collections book he always had. I paid him and he left. A couple of weeks later we got an overdue bill notice. We went to the electric company office and they said the bill had not been paid. I showed their receipt, written on their official form and stamped with their official stamp. They said, "Oh yeah, he doesn't work for us anymore. He didn't turn in your money so you have to pay it again." With UBC, the first time, I called to say they should remove the equipment as I was moving out in two weeks, on this date, at this time. No one ever showed up and I moved out. The box and remote were stolen but I had to pay for them. The second time, I moved to Koh Yao Yai and called to have the equipment taken from my old residence and installation scheduled for the new one. No one ever came for over a month although I called and emailed UBC many times. FInally someone came in a truck with new equipment (still in the boxes) which he said (through an interpretor) I could buy for THB 1,000 installed. I said ok and he installed it, called to have the service turned on and everything worked fine. For six months I got and paid my bills with no problems. When I moved out, I notified UBC and they told me that the equipment was not mine and that the installer did not work for them. I explained that he had sold it to me, that he had called UBC to turn on the service with their company and they had sent me bills which I had paid. They said they didn't know who he was or how he got the equipment so I lost that money too.