$10,000 Enough For A Small House

Focus

I am trying to do the same thing but think 10000 is a little low for a budget you could get a good start on it , do you have power on site water also if the land has been planted with rice you want to build a raised pad 1 meter or so above the rice field these cost money and extended time as things move slow....getting a electrical hookup extend a waterline import building pad material and tractor time if you have these then a waste water system and the house is all there is and if you can find a lao construction crew that works for a reasonable amount and you can communicate with them (can be a problem) you could get as far as you can with what money you have and regroup if you run out, I am going to do the same thing this winter with about the same amount of money go as far as I can, you can definately stay in an unfinished house, some Lao people never finish the house so they don't pay any more tax, if you has building skills and can supervise construction would be helpful good luck Callao

I would think if u doubled that it would be very do-able. I current rent a house here in Phuket. Its built up on cement posts so its like two stories so the under area is for parking/storage. 2 bedroom, 1 bath( wit tub an hot water) , nice kitchen with good cupboards, cabinets, cheap two burner stove and 1 air con. it costs him about 650,000 baht 3 years ago.

Spend a little extra and make sure u have enough electrical outlets and ceiling fans, (he put no ceiling fans and only one outlet/room :-(

guess I should use a period sometimes. a friend of mine bought a small house in Kaolieo village for 250000 baht and spent another 250000 baht adding a kitchen and bathroom, septic system and finishing the house with tile floors AC etc 4 years ago. now same type house needing the same improvements 2 million baht so buying a home in VTE is getting very overpriced, etter to build on a piece of land if you can and save some $$$. theres many thai house plan books available you can get in thai and english, i got one for the rebar details for post and beam framing to use on my simple plan, I am looking forward to it and love that you can build anything any way you want with no BS try that here in california. I know one other falang that has built a house in VTE with a swimming pool and lots of extras for 2 million baht....65,000 US, callao

Thaiphuket, I don't know if you can buy property, you see it advertised in newspaper etc, visas you can get unlimited 30 day visas or 60 days from lao embassy) more expensive, most falangs are married into a lao family and build on family land.....me included, VTE prices and qualitity of homes is far higher in price and far lower in quality with very few western type houses and very overpriced and no condos to speak of, callao

As I said in my OP I've already got the land (by hook or crook) so that topic is not relevant. I just wanted to know if 10 grand is enough for a decent little house. From all the great replies, I get the idea that it (10 grand) is about right.

Thanks,

Focus

guess I should use a period sometimes. a friend of mine bought a small house in Kaolieo village for 250000 baht and spent another 250000 baht adding a kitchen and bathroom, septic system and finishing the house with tile floors AC etc 4 years ago. now same type house needing the same improvements 2 million baht so buying a home in VTE is getting very overpriced, etter to build on a piece of land if you can and save some $$$. theres many thai house plan books available you can get in thai and english, i got one for the rebar details for post and beam framing to use on my simple plan, I am looking forward to it and love that you can build anything any way you want with no BS try that here in california. I know one other falang that has built a house in VTE with a swimming pool and lots of extras for 2 million baht....65,000 US, callao

A house in VTE with a swimming pool?!! Callao thanks for all the input but I'm not thinking of a house with a swimming pool! You must be from California.

Interesting subject. Can you give a brief idea under which circumstances a farang can buy, lease land , or house.

Long term visa a problem?

Thaiphuket,

Thanks for the input. A farang cannot buy land in Laos, but that was not my original question anyway.

I've got the land sorted out (secret). I'm only interested in building a little house on that land and I wanted to know if 10 grand is enough to build a little house.

focus

Interesting subject. Can you give a brief idea under which circumstances a farang can buy, lease land , or house.

Thaiphuket,

Thanks for the input. A farang cannot buy land in Laos, but that was not my original question anyway.

I've got the land sorted out (secret). I'm only interested in building a little house on that land and I wanted to know if 10 grand is enough to build a little house.

focus

Answer = NO

Thaiphuket,

focus

Answer = NO

If your talking a one room with squat toilet and bucket shower like some of the cheap apartments the local people rent for a couple thousand baht a month then the answer is definitely yes $10,000 will easily cover it but bear in mind it is a small space to live in. If possible if you waited a while and saved another $20,000 on top of the $10,000 you're already prepared to spend you could build a bit bigger place. Nice comfortable small houses can easily be built for around $60,000 here its the land thats expensive if your planning to build in VTE.

single room, single story, with very basic toilet yes

No kitchen, no extras and about 25 - 30 sq.m. 270 - 330 sq ft

Being very careful with your $10,000 and watching evey penny

Who wants to live in a house with no kitchen? Is the OP planning to live there or is it for the Laos family?

If the OP wants a reasonably comfortable place with fairly modern kitchen/bathroom/bedroom, then 10,000 is NOT enough.

Where is the electric and water coming from? Can he live without aircon in the heat of summer? If he is only spending 10,000 will the place be secure? airtight? comfortable enough?

To the OP, set a budget, get a quote (excluding materials) go down to your local building merchants to price things up, then TRIPLE what you come up with, and you will have enough for a small comfortable house. Have you got any experience in building a house? If not I wish you well with finding a reputable builder.

Who wants to live in a house with no kitchen? Is the OP planning to live there or is it for the Laos family?

If the OP wants a reasonably comfortable place with fairly modern kitchen/bathroom/bedroom, then 10,000 is NOT enough.

Where is the electric and water coming from? Can he live without aircon in the heat of summer? If he is only spending 10,000 will the place be secure? airtight? comfortable enough?

To the OP, set a budget, get a quote (excluding materials) go down to your local building merchants to price things up, then TRIPLE what you come up with, and you will have enough for a small comfortable house. Have you got any experience in building a house? If not I wish you well with finding a reputable builder.

ditto

• 5 months later...

Just about to finish a small house on wife's land, 50 sq/m + 20 sq/m upstairs. $2000 for the local crew and $8000 for materials, steel + tiled roof (100+sq/m, includes outside patio), 100 sq/m of walls, bathroom, sceptic tank.

No extra's or A/C, doing the electric work myself.

Definitely watched every penny and bought all the materials myself after checking prices from different sources (stores, other people building houses) for each item. Crew paid per meter or sq/m of finished work.

$10.000 clap2.gif