Marketing Consulting Fees In Thailand?

Dear All,

I hope to get some insights from this forum on consulting/coaching fees in Thailand.

I am considering to do some work in the future in South East Asia as independent consultant and wanted to gather some info. I want to offer my services in the area of marketing (branding, international marketing, etc). This can include strategic consulting as well as training/coaching (corporate lectures, etc.).

I am curious about how much consultants charge in Thailand for these services. I know this might vary by industry and company size and would mainly focus on consumer products and medium to large clients (including MNCs).

In Europe or the US daily fees are normally above 1000 Euro or USD per day. If you are a well known consultant and work with large MNCs this can be in the range of 2000-3000 per day. I am not looking for info based on expat consulting fees which are working in Thailand but are paid in their homecountry. I am interested in the fee range for consultants which would work directly in Thailand.

Some info about my background:

Mid 30s

8 years corporate experience

BS and MBA from the US, currently working on PhD in the UK

Thanking you in advance,

I've stopped accepting contracts in Thailand several years ago, but I 'm still -from time to time- taking missions in other South-East Asia countries. As a food & beverage consultant -nowadays, mainly "train the trainer" programs-, I am charging an average of $1,500 per day (depending on the duration of the task) + travel expenses, meals and accommodation being as well at the client expenses.

Just an idea -as you will not get a lot of answers on this forum- is to contact some marketing consultants -companies and/or individuals- who are established in Thailand and do contracts within your exact field of services...

Then pose as a potential client to gather the information that you are looking for. cool.gif

Edited by lazygourmet

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do for Work Permits for this type of work?

I am not 100% sure about that issue yet. That said, two options come to mind right now.

1) Set up a business in Thailand. I guess this might requiere quite a bit of paperwork and time. Also, I have not read much abou it yet, but I think you will need a Thai partner, or hire at least some Thai staff. Need to check the details on it!

2) This option seems easier. I guess you can have the business in your home country, fly to Thailand to do the work and have them pay the bill on your home country account. There might be some tax or visa issues to consider. I am doing something similar now in the EU. I am staying in the UK, but do some work for a company in another EU country. I sent them the bill and they transfer it to my account in the UK. I will have to do taxes in the UK later, and the client has to deal with it in his homecountry.

I am not sure about the rules in Thailand, but it should work somehow. For example, some consultants or public speakers get hired all over the world, but might live in the US and just go overseas for a few days to give their speech. The client sends them the fee to their home country (in this case the US). Also outsourced work (e.g web-development in India) might be done that way. Maybe the difference lies in the fact if you physically touch Thai ground or not, but I am not sure.

As said, I do not have all the tax info yet, but this should work. Just not sure how you enter Thailand for those speeches or consulting gigs; there might be some special visa for that. However, I have a feeling some people just enter as toursists, give their speech and leave again.

Hope this helps.

Typically consultancy fees run at the same rates as elsewhere in the world with the same T&C's

To comply with WP requirements company sub-contracting you needs to get you a temporary work permit, valid for 14 days.

As regards taxation, there will be (should be) a withholding tax applied typically at 20% , you are working in Thailand therefore you would fall under the Thai tax structure

Typically consultancy fees run at the same rates as elsewhere in the world with the same T&C's

To comply with WP requirements company sub-contracting you needs to get you a temporary work permit, valid for 14 days.

As regards taxation, there will be (should be) a withholding tax applied typically at 20% , you are working in Thailand therefore you would fall under the Thai tax structure

Thanks that is very helpful info on rates and WP. Sounds like companies that want foreign consultants are also willing to pay international fees.

Thanks that is very helpful info on rates and WP. Sounds like companies that want foreign consultants are also willing to pay international fees.

I dont understand why you would think they wouldnt pay international rates ?

This comment is in the same vein as some body coming to work in Thailand and believing they have to take a pay cut for the "priviliage" of working in Thailand.......why would somebody do this....:blink:

I dont understand why you would think they wouldnt pay international rates ?

This comment is in the same vein as some body coming to work in Thailand and believing they have to take a pay cut for the "priviliage" of working in Thailand.......why would somebody do this....:blink:

I do understand the idea that consultants coming from overseas will get international rates and agree with you, why should they take contracts there for lower fees. However, as "normally" salary levels in Thailand are much lower than in EU or the US even in business related jobs, I was wondering about fees for consultants which are also based in Thailand and are not hired from overseas. For example, if somebody from EU or the US sets up a consultancy business in BKK if daily rates are as high as in those countries.

Regards,

However, as "normally" salary levels in Thailand are much lower than in EU or the US even in business related jobs

Says who ? are we talking about Thai salary levels or expat salary levels here.....

I have been working in Thailand for nearly 10 years and I am on nearly double what I would get in either the EU or US for the same position.

However, as "normally" salary levels in Thailand are much lower than in EU or the US even in business related jobs

Says who ? are we talking about Thai salary levels or expat salary levels here.....

I have been working in Thailand for nearly 10 years and I am on nearly double what I would get in either the EU or US for the same position.

the only reason people move to Thailand and drop their pants fee wise, is I suspect they think they need to so they can continue to drop their pants in other areas.

I suspect he is talking about them? :P

Edited by samran

the only reason people move to Thailand and drop their pants fee wise, is I suspect they think they need to so they can continue to drop their pants in other areas.

;)

;)

With the "normal lower salary levels" I was not referring on expat salaries. I am aware that expat packages can be very generous. I meant Thai salary levels, or even foreigners that set up their business in Thailand themselves or get hired locally.

However, I like the comment about the "drop pants". ;) ;) Unfortunatelly it is true for some and this can create a negative image for professionals that go to the region for purely professional reasons as their focus or expertise might be regional or in demand there. I was thinking more along the lines of foreigners that for example open a consulting business in Thailand and the fees they might charge.

@Samran. Out of curiousity, in which field have you been working for 10 years in Thailand now, if you do not mind sharing this info.