Thai Popular Music

maidu

I was playing a Bodyslam cd in the car. My wife asks why I don't have Thai music? I said this is Thai music, .... listen they are singing in Thai. She responded, this is rock music, rock is for kids. I laughed, you are married to the oldest kid in the village then.

I was playing a Bodyslam cd in the car. My wife asks why I don't have Thai music? I said this is Thai music, .... listen they are singing in Thai. She responded, this is rock music, rock is for kids. I laughed, you are married to the oldest kid in the village then.

Your wife knows what she is talking about!

Thai music is great, some of the bands here are amazing and I love going to see them. Bubble gum pop here is bad but no better or worse than back home. I don't find it blaring everywhere and impossible to avoid either. 99% of the time pop music being blasted isn't an issue

Sounds like you don't go to Thai malls or travel in any public transport (particularly buses) in Thailand. Indeed, even many post offices, banks and police stations have TV blaring away during their business hours (somewhat related to the OP). Ok, maybe the programming is more likely Thai soaps than Thai pop, but it's TV nevertheless. I once went to talk to a police chief about something - in his office, there was a TV angled above his desk, so he just had to raise his head a bit to be staring at a screen 3 feet away. He didn't turn if off when I asked him some questions. Guess what he was watching at 10 am? Tele-Tubbies. More recently, I went to another police office in the same station. Similar set up, but the cops at desks in there were watching a katoy fashion show - again, late morning. At least they turned down the accompanying pop music. If you're wondering what sort of work Thai cops are doing much of the day, you may have to look no further than their precinct station.

Thai music is great, some of the bands here are amazing and I love going to see them. Bubble gum pop here is bad but no better or worse than back home. I don't find it blaring everywhere and impossible to avoid either. 99% of the time pop music being blasted isn't an issue

Sounds like you don't go to Thai malls or travel in any public transport (particularly buses) in Thailand. Indeed, even many post offices, banks and police stations have TV blaring away during their business hours (somewhat related to the OP). Ok, maybe the programming is more likely Thai soaps than Thai pop, but it's TV nevertheless. I once went to talk to a police chief about something - in his office, there was a TV angled above his desk, so he just had to raise his head a bit to be staring at a screen 3 feet away. He didn't turn if off when I asked him some questions. Guess what he was watching at 10 am? Tele-Tubbies. More recently, I went to another police office in the same station. Similar set up, but the cops at desks in there were watching a katoy fashion show - again, late morning. At least they turned down the accompanying pop music. If you're wondering what sort of work Thai cops are doing much of the day, you may have to look no further than their precinct station.

You must live in the big city....

The OP is dead right when it comes to loud music on the bus. look, I don`t force my music on you, so have the manners to not inflict your crap on me. Buy a bloody MP3 or something.

Hello,

The number one thing I miss most about the USA is jazz: playing it, listening to it, seeing concerts, etc. I've been in Thailand for a few months now and I'm aching to play some good music. Like others, I'm sorely disappointed with the perception of music in this country. However, if there are any other musicians out there, especially with some jazz experience, I'd LOVE to get together and play. I'm a piano player myself, and I've been looking into starting a jazz quartet. However, my dream of a quartet remains far off, as I've not yet heard a single musician in this country who was any good. At the local university, everybody is drumming (bashing congas with sticks) seemingly all day every day. However, I've not yet heard a single person in this country who had any sense of rhythm. Please PM me if you play drums, bass, trumpet, ANYTHING, and would be interested in playing some music, especially straight-ahead jazz.

^ that woman Kanhu - apart from the obvious, the other thing I thought about was the old Ted Nugent classic 'Cat Scratch Fever' - she certainly does appear to have an itch!

Was told it was 'under' music, but unsure if she meant underground music or underwear music. Maybe best not to ask.

Edited by Atmos

• 1 month later...