Why Do Farang All Decide To Build A Home

Have you ever visited a Thai floor tile shop? 90% of tiles for sale seem like some kind of failed joke. Who is buying this stuff??

Failed comedians? :rolleyes:

I agree that many interior design products here are incredibly garish and ugly. Even those used by farang developers.

Good taste is not a strong point here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freedom of design

Yes. Never fails to amaze me that when disboarding a flight from Farangland just about anyone can turn into an architect, a profession requiring seven years training, two years more than an MD!

Are they the geniuses who build 80% of condos and haw puks and walls and the like so they get black streaks down the white paintwork?

One would think a few minutes of "training" would have got them to realise if a building's wall top is flat and horizontal he rain will sit there and grow the black fungus. Another few nanoseconds and they might realise that if on a condo they simply tilted the wall tops inwards at a few degrees and no extra cost the mould wouldn't grow well and in any case any discolouration would run inwards to the roof drains.

It amazes me every time I see it, which is every day a hundred times.

Cheeryble

This inward sloping top has been used effectively in roof parapets and balcony curbs of Avenus 61 (2005), in Sukhumvit Soi 61.

Thankyou TR

I don't know why but it somehow enfuriates me.

Ir's thet same level of unintelligence as people simply pulling straight out into the trraffic without looking thta makes me feel a stranger in a strange land.

It shows up the architect, the builder, and the client as being as brain dead as each other.

Would be different if it cost anything but it needn't cost a penny and would save a fortune in early repaints.

Cheeryble

Speaking of architects being cheap......what are the rates for

1. full detailed drawings

2. overseeing a project they have drawn up

??

Answers,

1. I have seen these advertised from 30,000 baht and upwards, 40-50k seems to be the going rate for a normal house build/design (I wouldnt pay more), higher prices for more complex structures/designs.

By full detailed I take it you mean, floor plan, side and front elevations, foundation/footings/pilings, roof design/structure, plumbing/electricts location, septic tanksystem, door/windows, etc etc and anything else I have forgotten. Where is Trogers when you need him?

2. Why would an architect oversee a project and why would you want him to? An architect overseeing a project is no guarntee of the quality of work being carried out.