Thai Driver's Lic Question

pgrin

Here's a new one. I spend a great deal of time in Thailand and would like to get a Thai DL. I like to move around a lot spending time in BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. I don't maintain a single residence but instead rent monthly in different areas. My question is do Thai DL's have a home address on them like my US Dl does? If so how do I handle my constantly changing locations? Tahks in advance.

Pgrin

Here's a new one. I spend a great deal of time in Thailand and would like to get a Thai DL. I like to move around a lot spending time in BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. I don't maintain a single residence but instead rent monthly in different areas. My question is do Thai DL's have a home address on them like my US Dl does? If so how do I handle my constantly changing locations? Tahks in advance.

Pgrin

Do you have a Non-Immigrant visa for Thailand ?

Pgrin

Do you have a Non-Immigrant visa for Thailand ?

DR Patpong,

1) I have a tourist Visa with 3 entries

2) I will be coming back to Thailand via Singapore to Phuket and will not be in BKK. There is no US Embasy office in Phuket. What are my options for embassy address conformatiom letter?

Pgrin

Pgrin

Why not get an International Driver's Permit from the SAME country (state) that issued your home driver's licence? Since you probably will just rent a car this will be sufficent for Avis and Hertz.

I believe that an IDP is good for 90 days at a time (as is a UK license). As you will not be able to legally stay longer than 90 days (on a tourist visa), this will suffice.

I spend at least 6 months in Thailand every year. I have an IDP it is valid for one year. I just wanted a Thai DL so I can skip renewing my IDP. If I cannot, mai ben rai.

Pgrin

I believe that an IDP is good for 90 days at a time (as is a UK license). As you will not be able to legally stay longer than 90 days (on a tourist visa), this will suffice.

I spend at least 6 months in Thailand every year. I have an IDP it is valid for one year. I just wanted a Thai DL so I can skip renewing my IDP. If I cannot, mai ben rai.

Pgrin

Get a Non-Immigrant visa next time. That is the requirement. :o

Pgrin

If you buy a car in Thailand your insurance will probably not cover you unless you have a Thai driver's license. The fact that you have a valid foreign driver's license and an IDP from the state that issued your driver's license is not enough.

Pgrin

If you buy a car in Thailand your insurance will probably not cover you unless you have a Thai driver's license. The fact that you have a valid foreign driver's license and an IDP from the state that issued your driver's license is not enough.

I drive here on a UK licence with an IDP and have had no problems with insurance (I have had to make a claim as well due to the I don't care if I die attitude of scooter riders here).

I was also told by my thai collegues that is better to drive on IDP than exchange for a thai licence. Not actually been given a reason though......

Pgrin

I drive here on a UK licence with an IDP and have had no problems with insurance (I have had to make a claim as well due to the I don't care if I die attitude of scooter riders here).

I was also told by my thai collegues that is better to drive on IDP than exchange for a thai licence. Not actually been given a reason though......

If stopped for a traffic violation it might be better to use UK license and IDP for practical reasons (wink). When claiming under an insurance policy make sure that your insurer knows that you have a Thai license. Thai insurance policies require that you have a proper driver's license...in many cases proper does not mean a foreign license if you have been living in Thailand for some time.

Edited by corkscrew

I think your thai friends just blah, blah, blah,

Hehe probably, I'm moving soon to nr Ram Intra Km8 so I'll probably look at getting proper thai licence after that, so I don't have to change the address on the license :o