Good Reason

Beng

Yall-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg

I'm really not sure it is though is it? His points are not complimentary thats true but all legitimate nonetheless. If he were lying sure it would be trolling.............. and please i really don't want to read a cut and paste re trolling definitions.

What is interesting is that a number of longterm expats here still think that power cuts are justified!!! Talk about living in the past. Talk about not realising how the island is a totally different place to how it was fifteen years ago. With the cost of everything on this expensive "boutique" tourist haven of an island should NEVER have a power cut. Its fine on Lanta because thats still a tropical island but to have cuts here at samui prices is just one great piss take.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really not sure it is though is it? His points are not complimentary thats true but all legitimate nonetheless. If he were lying sure it would be trolling.............. and please i really don't want to read a cut and paste re trolling definitions.

What is interesting is that a number of longterm expats here still think that power cuts are justified!!! Talk about living in the past. Talk about not realising how the island is a totally different place to how it was fifteen years ago. With the cost of everything on this expensive "boutique" tourist haven of an island should NEVER have a power cut. Its fine on Lanta because thats still a tropical island but to have cuts here at samui prices is just one great piss take.

sums it up well carmine

WOW Beng, you've got some anger issues there man.

Which is it?

Business go tits up?

Wife leave you?

Your hair fall out?

Isn't life about choice, opinion and individuals? If we were all alike and had the same opinions then life would be almost as boring as reading your posts.

Personally I moved here cos I love it here. It may be a little bit dearer than the mainland so what - I can afford it.

If you can't run to a 70 baht beer, or a 60 baht meal then yes this is the wrong place for you, you need to be in the middle of africa.

Personally I don't like Pattaya. The concept of a beach road being 1 half of a motorway puts me right off, as do endless high rise buildings. BUT I have no issue whatsoever with anyone who choses to live there. It's their life and f*** all to do with me so good to luck to them. And you certainly wouldn't find me on the Pattaya forum banging on about it.

Give your head a shake cocker.

Which is it?

Business go tits up?

Wife leave you?

Your hair fall out?

Isn't life about choice, opinion and individuals? If we were all alike and had the same opinions then life would be almost as boring as reading your posts.

Personally I moved here cos I love it here. It may be a little bit dearer than the mainland so what - I can afford it.

If you can't run to a 70 baht beer, or a 60 baht meal then yes this is the wrong place for you, you need to be in the middle of africa.

Personally I don't like Pattaya. The concept of a beach road being 1 half of a motorway puts me right off, as do endless high rise buildings. BUT I have no issue whatsoever with anyone who choses to live there. It's their life and f*** all to do with me so good to luck to them. And you certainly wouldn't find me on the Pattaya forum banging on about it.

:D i've got to laugh here. This exactly what i'm talking about and it leaves me ultimatelt shaking my head in bewilderment.

Why has he anger issues? he's purely outlined catagoric facts about certain aspects that are not right and yet the Samui expat has to translate that in an absurd way as someone with anger issues!!!!!!!

If i said to you Mr Chooper that some months back, i used to loathe riding past the Family mart close to the new market in Bophut because it stank like there was a decomposing corpse lying on the roadside. would that mean i have anger issues? Or would it mean that i really don't like foul stenches under my nose which have become a much more regular occurance in recent years. Because i can acknowledge the island often stinks through self created problems like human litter bugs, no sewage system and refuse strewn all over the place, does that mean i have an anger problem?

If my wife left me, why would you presume me to be bitter and twisted. I might or he might think its a right result rather like being paroled after a stretch inside.

What baldness got to do with it? I have lots of bald mates who still like it here. I've got a fantastic head of hair but i dont. why are you picking on baldies?

Which is it?

Business go tits up?

Wife leave you?

Your hair fall out?

:D i've got to laugh here. This exactly what i'm talking about and it leaves me ultimatelt shaking my head in bewilderment.

Why has he anger issues? he's purely outlined catagoric facts about certain aspects that are not right and yet the Samui expat has to translate that in an absurd way as someone with anger issues!!!!!!!

If i said to you Mr Chooper that some months back, i used to loathe riding past the Family mart close to the new market in Bophut because it stank like there was a decomposing corpse lying on the roadside. would that mean i have anger issues? Or would it mean that i really don't like foul stenches under my nose which have become a much more regular occurance in recent years. Because i can acknowledge the island often stinks through self created problems like human litter bugs, no sewage system and refuse strewn all over the place, does that mean i have an anger problem?

If my wife left me, why would you presume me to be bitter and twisted. I might or he might think its a right result rather like being paroled after a stretch inside.

What baldness got to do with it? I have lots of bald mates who still like it here. I've got a fantastic head of hair but i dont. why are you picking on baldies?

Carmine why does he feel the need to come on here and rant about it. That's my point.

If you came on here ranting about these things for no apparent reason then yes I'd question your motives. If you rationally commented on the smell to me then no of course I would not think you an angry man.

I'm not really arsed how much you do or dont like being with your wife, or how resplendent your barnet is looking at the minute. I'm not the most hirsute myself, it was a joke. You know 'joke' right?

Life is all about opinions at the end of the day. I love it here, but I don't choose to jump up and down shouting about, or ranting about it on the internet to strangers. If he doesn't like it here and he moved anyway then what's the problem?

It's a shame you don't like it here anymore, I hope you can get your money out and move somewhere that makes you happier. In the meantime if you come and rant on here for no reason like beng I'll think you angry, if you don't then I'll just assume that your busy making your plans for the big move.

All of the original posters points are valid, he just did not realise that negative posts are frowned apon by the expat members with local business interests because telling it like it is, might keep the tourists away.

really? did you talk to him and that's what he told you?

Carmine you are standing up for what you see are the problems on Samui I see the same problems and so do many other's but don't have the balls to say so. If someone wants to bash on the Samui forum it's OK as long as they have the fact's. I will inform you of another shit deal that's taking place on Samui, the local government shit cart is emptying most of the pumped shit from Maenam's location to Ban Tai and pumping in the bush so any run off then flows down a creek when it rain. Hope your bottled water is not coming from that area.

:D

Which is it?

Business go tits up?

Wife leave you?

Your hair fall out?

Carmine why does he feel the need to come on here and rant about it. That's my point.

If you came on here ranting about these things for no apparent reason then yes I'd question your motives. If you rationally commented on the smell to me then no of course I would not think you an angry man.

I'm not really arsed how much you do or dont like being with your wife, or how resplendent your barnet is looking at the minute. I'm not the most hirsute myself, it was a joke. You know 'joke' right?

Life is all about opinions at the end of the day. I love it here, but I don't choose to jump up and down shouting about, or ranting about it on the internet to strangers. If he doesn't like it here and he moved anyway then what's the problem?

It's a shame you don't like it here anymore, I hope you can get your money out and move somewhere that makes you happier. In the meantime if you come and rant on here for no reason like beng I'll think you angry, if you don't then I'll just assume that your busy making your plans for the big move.

You are the one that seems angry. Very angry indeed. You need to calm down, take a deep breath and relax. theres no need to loose you temper and rant. I can respect you views and opinions and all i ask in return is that you respect mine. Now, theres a good chap...... :D

NB i've even added a little smiley emoticon.

Edited by carmine

Carmine you are standing up for what you see are the problems on Samui I see the same problems and so do many other's but don't have the balls to say so. If someone wants to bash on the Samui forum it's OK as long as they have the fact's. I will inform you of another shit deal that's taking place on Samui, the local government shit cart is emptying most of the pumped shit from Maenam's location to Ban Tai and pumping in the bush so any run off then flows down a creek when it rain. Hope your bottled water is not coming from that area.

Just close your eyes and pretend its not happening. :lol: And afterall it is a tropical island. :rolleyes: i bet Robinson Crusoe never had to put up the stuff like that on his island ;)

Which is it?

Business go tits up?

Wife leave you?

Your hair fall out?

You are the one that seems angry. Very angry indeed. You need to calm down, take a deep breath and relax. theres no need to loose you temper and rant. I can respect you views and opinions and all i ask in return is that you respect mine. Now, theres a good chap...... :D

NB i've even added a little smiley emoticon.

I'm not angry at all squire, I live a very laid back life in a place I love, what's to be angry about?!

I respect your views absolutely. I respect beng's opinion too (even if I think he is wrong about some things.) What I don't respect is him randomly ranting for no reason. You're not doing that, so I think that makes us still forum pals...?

the idea that any place that is sold as high end should not have power cuts or great roads is child like thinking. I lived in Pacific Grove Ca. this is right next door to Pebble beach and 17 mile drive. talk about high cost of living! when i rented my flat it came with candles, the pwoer went out with every strong wind and that was almost daily. as for the rest of the bickering WGAF? I am not the enviroment police, the corruption police, the double pricing police or anyone elses minder and i dont think many of us are except of course the ones who do have issues beyond the obvious.

Right Rooo. Samui not for me anymore. Lived there from 89 to 09 and saw it getting from a little paradise to a dump.

Only two weeks ago, you where looking for a rental on Samui.

Hi there,

I'm looking for a long term appartment or house rental in the 5k/month region. Thank you for your ideas.

OK, you could not find a decent housing for 5K.

Stop trolling.

Right Rooo. Samui not for me anymore. Lived there from 89 to 09 and saw it getting from a little paradise to a dump.

Hi there,

I'm looking for a long term appartment or house rental in the 5k/month region. Thank you for your ideas.

Stop trolling.

Hi there,

Stop trolling.

oops!

Thanks for your support carmine. In fact, I was hoping to hear some good reasons in contrast to my list, rather than " if u don't like it, move". This is not the caseso far.

Ok, I'll play. I'm a newbie so make of that what you will.

Access: 2 filthy ferry lines plus rip off Bangkok Airways

Never been on the ferries so can't comment. Yes the prices are high relative to other routes, but it didn't put me off one bit.

Beaches: poor water quality many muddy patches at the bottom, due to run offs from construction sites et

Not true, there's some lovely beaches here, and not all crowded. Not all perfect granted but devloped places seldom are.

Cost of living: highest rentals and food prices nationwide

I don't see that. You can rent for 10k per month quite easily. Regularly eat for less than 100 baht. Couldn't do that in my country.

Health care: is wealth care (apart from Samui hospital and a few local clinics with limited abilities)

Luckily I've not been in the hospitals yet but I know they aren't cheap. But then again I know that the standard of care is high and that my insurance will cover the cost, so this is non issue to me.

Infra structure: frequent power cuts, poorly maintenanced roads, road signs and unefficient water supply

Yup, the power cuts are a pain, but it's beyond my control so I don't stress about it. Yup, the roads are poor in places, so I drive carefully. No issues with the water for me, and I honestly didn't base my decision on where to live on the quality of the road signs.

Nature: deforestration rampant, litter everywhere, animals like birds and squirrels being eaten up by Isaan workers

Compared to Phuket, Hua Hin, Bangkok and Pattaya I'd say Samui wins on the tree front. Re: the squirrels.....so what?!

People: ignorant, unfriendly, cheaty, many criminal elements,

I like the people here. Sure there are criminals, as there are in every town in every country.

Road safety: highest road accident rate of the kingdom, poorest road quality, very dusty

Yes, its bad. So I drive carefully.

Transport: no bus system, no meter taxis, songtaew rides expensive and slow (Chaweng-Nathon 60 min is a joke)

It's a 20km across Island - why does it need a bus system?!

Security: law and order basically non existing, unsatisfying police work

Is it really any different elsehwere in Thailand?

Shopping: no choice, dual pricing at local shops and markets

Plenty of choice, there's 3 huge supermarkets within 1km of each other in Chaweng <deleted>.

I moved here cos I wanted to get out of the shit northern english town I lived in. It is cold, wet and boring. I dont want to live in a big city so that rules out BKK, Pattaya and Hua Hin. I didn't want to move to Phuket. I don't wanna go somewhere like Ko Lanta or Ko Samet cos although they are beautiful I do want to be within a short drive of an international standard hopsital. I love Samui so I moved here. It's not perfect but it's geat for me. Nowhere's perfect but for me the good far outweighs the bad here. Tell us beng, where do you live?

Thanks Dr.Chopper

Ok, I'll play. I'm a newbie so make of that what you will.

Access: 2 filthy ferry lines plus rip off Bangkok Airways

Never been on the ferries so can't comment. Yes the prices are high relative to other routes, but it didn't put me off one bit.

Beaches: poor water quality many muddy patches at the bottom, due to run offs from construction sites et

Not true, there's some lovely beaches here, and not all crowded. Not all perfect granted but devloped places seldom are.

Cost of living: highest rentals and food prices nationwide

I don't see that. You can rent for 10k per month quite easily. Regularly eat for less than 100 baht. Couldn't do that in my country.

Health care: is wealth care (apart from Samui hospital and a few local clinics with limited abilities)

Luckily I've not been in the hospitals yet but I know they aren't cheap. But then again I know that the standard of care is high and that my insurance will cover the cost, so this is non issue to me.

Infra structure: frequent power cuts, poorly maintenanced roads, road signs and unefficient water supply

Yup, the power cuts are a pain, but it's beyond my control so I don't stress about it. Yup, the roads are poor in places, so I drive carefully. No issues with the water for me, and I honestly didn't base my decision on where to live on the quality of the road signs.

Nature: deforestration rampant, litter everywhere, animals like birds and squirrels being eaten up by Isaan workers

Compared to Phuket, Hua Hin, Bangkok and Pattaya I'd say Samui wins on the tree front. Re: the squirrels.....so what?!

People: ignorant, unfriendly, cheaty, many criminal elements,

I like the people here. Sure there are criminals, as there are in every town in every country.

Road safety: highest road accident rate of the kingdom, poorest road quality, very dusty

Yes, its bad. So I drive carefully.

Transport: no bus system, no meter taxis, songtaew rides expensive and slow (Chaweng-Nathon 60 min is a joke)

It's a 20km across Island - why does it need a bus system?!

Security: law and order basically non existing, unsatisfying police work

Is it really any different elsehwere in Thailand?

Shopping: no choice, dual pricing at local shops and markets

Plenty of choice, there's 3 huge supermarkets within 1km of each other in Chaweng <deleted>.

I moved here cos I wanted to get out of the shit northern english town I lived in. It is cold, wet and boring. I dont want to live in a big city so that rules out BKK, Pattaya and Hua Hin. I didn't want to move to Phuket. I don't wanna go somewhere like Ko Lanta or Ko Samet cos although they are beautiful I do want to be within a short drive of an international standard hopsital. I love Samui so I moved here. It's not perfect but it's geat for me. Nowhere's perfect but for me the good far outweighs the bad here. Tell us beng, where do you live?

To the OP, read the forum rules......

In using Thai Visa I agree:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

All of the original posters points are valid, he just did not realise that negative posts are frowned apon by the expat members with local business interests because telling it like it is, might keep the tourists away.

Will not just his but we are arriving next week and really thinking of move somewhere else off the island,and its nothing to do with money,who wants to be ripped off,who wants to live for 6 months in a smelly place,with power cuts,

once we have a look around and if so we will just move on,sad as it is the OP may are may not have a reason to say what he says but maybe the expat's might cannot be able to see it as been here to long plus and its been said put a lot of money into it.

The fact's remain and its still said by many but we are still coming with an open mind BUT EYES WIDE OPEN.

Doingok, OP seems to forget where he is, Thailand is not a 1st world country from where you're about to leave, all problems listed do exist and some cope better than others, however don't forget that by moving to a different place in Thailand the problems necessarily disappear. Maybe some do but others might take their place.

A lot has to do with adjusting an coping with a different life style and living circumstances. I live here since 12 years and realize fully that not everything is gold around here and I wish that many things would improve, especially road conditions. It's a slow process......

Thanks for your support carmine. In fact, I was hoping to hear some good reasons in contrast to my list, rather than " if u don't like it, move". This is not the caseso far.

agree with all your points as soon as we sell, were out of here, dropping th eprice significantly now just to get away. and yeap business owners dont like it, both posters and non posters.

With the cost of everything on this expensive "boutique" tourist haven of an island should NEVER have a power cut.

IMO that's a bit of a simplistic statement. High costs on the island are more to do with market force and greedy suppliers. These are not controlled by the government.

Surely most power cuts are more to do with physics than cost. Overhead cables, strong tropical winds and lots of tree branches. :(

With the cost of everything on this expensive "boutique" tourist haven of an island should NEVER have a power cut.

IMO that's a bit of a simplistic statement. High costs on the island are more to do with market force and greedy suppliers. These are not controlled by the government.

Surely most power cuts are more to do with physics than cost. Overhead cables, strong tropical winds and lots of tree branches. :(

Yes you are right but i think you know the angle i coming from.

Its simply ridiculous that todays Samui still has that poor old electric infastructure that should have been upgraded years ago.

I will add that for me, if i have electric, then i have light, tv and showering facilities and i'm totally happy regardless pretty much of any other difficulties.

Its simply ridiculous that todays Samui still has that poor old electric infastructure that should have been upgraded years ago.

I will add that for me, if i have electric, then i have light, tv and showering facilities and i'm totally happy regardless pretty much of any other difficulties.

Don't you want Haveli open at lunchtimes? rolleyes.gif

Don't you want Haveli open at lunchtimes? rolleyes.gif

thats a given smokie