Cambodian Beggars Removed From The Streets Of Pattaya, For Now

Rimmer

Cambodian beggars removed from the streets of Pattaya, for now

PATTAYA: --On Monday morning Chonburi Immigration officers launched a co-ordinated sweep of the streets of Pattaya and arrested 50 persons allegedly engaged in the begging for money industry. All 50 were identified as Cambodian illegals. The 50, nine males, 18 females, and 23 very young children, were taken to the front of the Chonburi Immigration offices in Jomtien Soi 5 where they were paraded before the media. Police Colonel Choosuk, the Superintendent of Chonburi Immigration, led the press conference and he said the Cambodian illegals would be sent back across the border. He said that if anyone happened to see illegal beggars on the streets they should call Immigration officers to come and take them away. Despite the cries of the young children assembled behind him,

Fulls story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-09-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Personally I don't see anything wrong with people begging in the streets particularly if they have no other means of support.

Yes, I've heard all the arguments like...

'they are organized by someone to whom they must give all the money that they collect'

I've even seen a Documentary in which at the end of the day the beggars were collected by someone driving a small bus............this was ,allegedly, in Bangkok.

But there is no way on God's great earth that I am going to walk past a small child with a hungry look on it's face,dressed in filthy rags

and not give said child a few coins.

I know that it is considered very un PC

I know that the Govt. frowns upon it but cannot not do it !.

One time,instead of giving money I went into a nearby 7-11 and bought the child an ice cream and a small bag of lollies...........

the mother was not impressed !!

Pattaya is now a world-class tourist destination and the sight of Cambodian beggars on the streets is a blot on the landscape. source

I have never been there; are they the only blot?

18mths living near the border and the only beggars I've noticed have been in Aranyaprathet town, missing limbs I presume from landmine explosions.

No harm in a little compassion, when we're in Phnom Penh my partner takes bags of fruit on her morning riverside walks, kids homeless, and food is appreciated.

Edited by Atmos

Personally I don't see anything wrong with people begging in the streets particularly if they have no other means of support.

Yes, I've heard all the arguments like...

'they are organized by someone to whom they must give all the money that they collect'

I've even seen a Documentary in which at the end of the day the beggars were collected by someone driving a small bus............this was ,allegedly, in Bangkok.

But there is no way on God's great earth that I am going to walk past a small child with a hungry look on it's face,dressed in filthy rags

I know that it is considered very un PC

I know that the Govt. frowns upon it but cannot not do it !.

One time,instead of giving money I went into a nearby 7-11 and bought the child an ice cream and a small bag of lollies...........

the mother was not impressed !!

This is exactly why they keep bringing the children to the streets. It is much better for the business.

My heart is crying every time I see these children too, but if we continue to give them money, they will never get out of the streets. Instead of giving money to beggars, I regularly donate money to organisations that is supporting homeless children, handicapped children, children with HIV / AIDS, old people, blind people, sick or handicapped people and other under resourced people in general. Almost every shop in Thailand has one or several boxes where you can donate your money.

Good idea to remove the Cambodian beggars, but please also remove the Thai beggars!! No world-class tourist will be able to spot the difference between Cambodian and Thai beggars.

Edited by Xonax

The organised beggars in Pattaya really are a blot on the landscape, not least because they oblige very young children to sit in the gutter breathing in toxic exhaust fumes for hours on end every day.

This is real child abuse, unlike the totally imaginary "abuse" of voluntary teenage hookers on Beach Rd.

But which makes the headlines most often, and most attracts the attention of the bleeding hearts brigade?

There's no way on God's great earth that I am going to walk past a begging child, and then call the Immigration office to take them away.

Isn't it great the way they took 50 poor beggars to parade in front of immigration officers at the Chonburi office so they could gloat about what a great job they have done, what a great service they have done for society...before they carted them off to Cambodia. They must have been extremely proud of their achievement.

It's absolutely disgraceful and shameful how they treat these unfortunates.

The organised beggars in Pattaya really are a blot on the landscape, not least because they oblige very young children to sit in the gutter breathing in toxic exhaust fumes for hours on end every day.

That's funny. You call the beggars a blot in a place which openly displays hundreds of transexuals and thousands of whores.