Uk Consulate, Excellent Fast Postal Service

I am about to leave the UK for a 6 month to a year visit to the Kingdom. I sent my passport off last wednesday and it was back with my 6 month multi entry visa on the Saturday!

From what I have read here it appears it will be difficult to get a new 6 month visa from any of the adjoining countries usually used for visa runs. What is to stop me taking a trip out of Thailand (to get my exit stamp) sending my passport to my mother in the UK (with say DHL or another fast courrier) getting her to send it to the consulate from the UK and then couriering it back to me in say Cambodia or Malaysia. I realise I will be withough my passport for a few days which is probably illegal and the fast turnaround cannot be guarenteed (though surely this is their bussiest time?) but other than that is this viable?

Seems like you think like me.

There's no shortage if dis-info here and elswhere.

Twice since 2001 I sent my PP out via an agent and got non-O/B. Now they say they can't do it because of a crackdown.

I think the snag in your idea [and I encourage you to pursue it] is that whether you send it from Thailand or, let's say, KL it will not get stamped to show that you have legally exited and re-entered.

If you manage to finesse the trick, let us know.

I think possibly you misunderstand.

I plan to leave Thailand. I will therefor have an exit stamp. (I will also have an entry stamp for whichever adjacent country I choose to stay in for the week or so this might take, would the UK consulate be looking for that? It was the only area I thought this plan migh fall down.) My passport will be posted (by my parents) to the UK consulate just as I have done to get my current visa. If the consulate don't spot the fact that there is an entry stamp for an adjacent country but no exit stamp there is nothing to tell them I am not back in the UK myself.

Edited by Adagio

- Visa that have not been obtained by the traveller personally are considered incomplete documents. The passport holder will not be allowed to stay in Thailand according to the visa but only according to the rights of the nationality of the passport holder.

Source: http://www.aranimmigration.com/eng/main.htm

So are you saying my current visa, obtained by post from the UK consulate is invalid?

Edited by Adagio

You can apply via post/courier within the UK if you are in the UK, so you are ok. It's the second of your scenarios that is illegal.

There are a lot of things in life that are not quite 100% legal and I'm sure I'm not the only person participating in this forum that is willing to bend the law a little :o. My concern is whether the UK consulate would be looking for just an exit stamp from Thailand or would they be wise to my potential 'scam' and be looking for an entry stamp to an adjacent country without an exit stamp? So suggesting that I am not actually back in the UK.

Would this in fact be illegal? When I recently sent in my (brand new, no stamps) passport to get my current visa I was at no time asked if I was actually in the UK. The passport was posted from the UK but then the scheme above would also involve the passport being posted from the UK.

Edited by Adagio

Will thai authorities be looking whether the dates on exit stamps from another country match with the date you got a visa in the uk

Guess 1 way to make this cheaper is to go to the closest european country to thailand-then you would not get a stamp when returning to the ukbut it would make the process of getting a visa cheaper ?

Will thai authorities be looking whether the dates on exit stamps from another country match with the date you got a visa in the uk

Guess 1 way to make this cheaper is to go to the closest european country to thailand-then you would not get a stamp when returning to the ukbut it would make the process of getting a visa cheaper ?

For EU nationals there is no entry stamp when returning to the UK or anywhere in the EU. That is my point, there is nothing to tell the consulate that I have returned to the UK. I am assuming their only concern will be that I have an exit stamp from Thailand. Would they be looking for an entry stamp to an adjacent contry that did not have a corresponding exit stamp (so suggesting I was still in that country) or would they not consider the immigration regulations of another country any of their concern?

Perhaps you mean the border officials? Would they be looking at every stamp in my passport? Perhaps I should have gone for the 56 page document after all :o Would a visa issued by a UK consulate whilst I was in another country be invalid? As I stated above I was never asked if I was in the UK when my current visa was issued.

Edited by Adagio

For EU nationals there is no entry stamp when returning to the UK or anywhere in the EU. That is my point, there is nothing to tell the consulate that I have returned to the UK. I am assuming their only concern will be that I have an exit stamp from Thailand. Would they be looking for an entry stamp to an adjacent contry that did not have a corresponding exit stamp (so suggesting I was still in that country) or would they not consider the immigration regulations of another country any of their concern?

You may have hit on a great idea there, and you can but try.

There are a number of countries that stamp foreign passports only on the way in, not on the way out. How are the Hull consular officials to know that Malaysia, for example is not among them, even if they had a policy of checking such things?

I know as a fact that Switzerland stamps foreign passports only on the way in. Before Swiss passports were allowed to pass through the EU channel at Heathrow, my passport was only stamped on the way in at that airport.

Your idea is to fly from Thailand to Malaysia and while staying in that country send off your passport to a relative in the UK, who would then mail it to the Thai consulate in Hull with your visa application, receive the passport back from the consulate and send it back to you in Malaysia.

Indeed, why should this not work? Even if Hull considered it their duty to check all stamps in your passport after your last departure from Thailand and knew that Malaysia stamps passports on the way out, this would still leave the possibility that you did fly from Malaysia to the UK but that by mistake your passport was not stamped on your departure from Malaysia.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If you play out the above scenario, please be sure to report back with the result. If you are flying to Thailand soon on your triple-entry(?) tourist visa and after every entry extend your 60-day permission to stay by another 30 days, we should therefore hear from you in early August 2006 (if my math is right).

I am of course hoping somone else will have tried it by then as, as you mention, I have a visa that will allow me to stay without a problem for the next 6 months at least. I may even need to return to the UK to remortgage my flat later next year so I will be able to get a new visa at that time without any 'dodgey' dealing.

If anyone knows of a country in the region that does not stamp passports on exit (I had assumed they all would) that would be very useful information for anyone wanting to attempt this.

Incidentally it was the Liverpool consulate I got my visa from, though there are half a dozen in the UK to choose from in addition to the embassy.

Some of the information here is slightly out of date but the adddresses are as far as I can see still valid

www.bangkokbob.net/visa.htm

Edited by Adagio

Hate to ask the obvious but double tourist are freely available from the Thai Consulate in Penang Malaysia why not just go and get a double from there?

Your plan might fall foul on two scores.

1. As you point out you/ll have no exit stamp from Malaysia...........this might be spotted and checked up upon by the Consulate in the UK (fair enough it may not as well, you just dont know)

2. When you come to exit Malaysia they (Malaysian Immigration) may notice you've had a visa issued in the Uk while you were supposed to be in Malaysia...........that/ll be hard to explain away....and yes Malaysia do give you an exit stamp when you leave.

There is always the off chance you/ll be asked to show your passport during your stay in Malaysia as well.

My advice would be don't try it.

I'm with Thaiflyer1 on this.

If you just want a double tourist buzz down to Penang, they are readily available there.

Penang have recently tightened up on non-b visas and you are unlikely to get any multi-entry non immigrant (except non-o) visa in SE Asia, but for a tourist, no problem.

As to trusting your PP to the international postage system .... risky.

Edit:- I've not come across a 6-month multi-entry visa, surely it's a double entry tourist or a non-o or b multi (which are valid for 12 months)? Interested to know what it actually says on the visa.

Edited by Crossy

I'm with Thaiflyer1 on this.

If you just want a double tourist buzz down to Penang, they are readily available there.

Penang have recently tightened up on non-b visas and you are unlikely to get any multi-entry non immigrant  (except non-o) visa in SE Asia, but for a tourist, no problem.

As to trusting your PP to the international postage system .... risky.

Edit:- I've not come across a 6-month multi-entry visa, surely it's a double entry tourist or a non-o or b multi (which are valid for 12 months)? Interested to know what it actually says on the visa.

I just got a 4 entry 6 month tourtis visa from the Liverpool consulate. If that is readilly available in Penang then there is no point going to he lengths I have described above. Is it?

It may well be worth it to get a 1 year multi entry non-o...

Still worth trying...

Malaysia is similar to Thailand in that you have to carry identity with you at all times, but it is probably only the police that will ask and in some places you just dont see the police - unless you go looking for them or do something to make them come looking for you (Penang). The courier services in malaysia are pretty reliable also.

In padang besar railway station and this border area you can get and exit stamp but still remain in malaysia ! But this would be an exit stamp from a border point not an airport. Last time i was there a malaysian guy went to a thai border town but didnt get his passport stamped into malaysia to get into the railway station. However in padang besar there are alot of malaysian police

Edited by Khun Bob

You need two passports, and your idea might just work!

See these links:

Passport by mail

Non immigrant O visa

Regards,

Mike

As I don't have dual nationallity this is not an option for me. Applying for a second passport would be a much more serious offence than the scheme I am suggesting and I expect I would be much more likely to get caught out. I will not be trying this.

As far as I know I am not entitled to apply for an O visa, I am a 38 yr old unmarried UK citizen without the 800k baht to put into a bank account.

Can somone confirm whether or not a multi entry 6 month tourist visa is available in Panang (or anywhere elae in the region)?

Edited by Adagio

You need two passports, and your idea might just work!

See these links:

Passport by mail

Non immigrant O visa

Regards,

Mike

As I don't have dual nationallity this is not an option for me. Applying for a second passport would be a much more serious offence than the scheme I am suggesting and I expect I would be much more likely to get caught out. I will not be trying this.

As far as I know I am not entitled to apply for an O visa, I am a 38 yr old unmarried UK citizen without the 800k baht to put into a bank account.

Can somone confirm whether or not a multi entry 6 month tourist visa is available in Panang (or anywhere elae in the region)?

:o induced reply..............no such thing as a multi entry 6 month tourist visa..........you can however apply and obtain easily a double entry tourist visa in Penang at present..........that/ll give you 180 days in Thailand at a push.

What you should of done is to apply to the Thai Consulate in Hull for a Non Immigrant O visa Multiple entry.............maybe next time eh!

:D

:o induced reply..............no such thing as a multi entry 6 month tourist visa..........you can however apply and obtain easily a double entry tourist visa in Penang at present..........that/ll give you 180 days in Thailand at a push.

What you should of done is to apply to the Thai Consulate in Hull for a Non Immigrant O visa Multiple entry.............maybe next time eh!

I have just received a visa that runs until April 2006 which is valid for 4 entries into Thailand

I was under the impression (this is what it says on the Thai consulate Hull website http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ea%20%20...Application.pdf ) that I had to be over 50 to get an 'O' visa AND have 800,000 baht in a thai bank account, As I stated above I am 38 and don't have that sort of cash aavailoable. I am not married and have no thaai dependents.

I have just received a visa that runs until April 2006 which is valid for 4 entries into Thailand

I was under the impression (this is what it says on the Thai consulate Hull website http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ea%20%20...Application.pdf ) that I had to be over 50 to get an 'O' visa AND have 800,000 baht in a thai bank account, As I stated above I am 38 and don't have that sort of cash aavailoable. I am not married and have no thaai dependents.

Aaahhh..............i/ll pm you . :D

I think possibly you misunderstand.

I plan to leave Thailand. I will therefor have an exit stamp. (I will also have an entry stamp for whichever adjacent country I choose to stay in for the week or so this might take, would the UK consulate be looking for that? It was the only area I thought this plan migh fall down.) My passport will be posted (by my parents) to the UK consulate just as I have done to get my current visa. If the consulate don't spot the fact that there is an entry stamp for an adjacent country but no exit stamp there is nothing to tell them I am not back in the UK myself.

You have to be in the jurisdiction of the visa issuing Embassy or Consulate. Those offices in the UK do not have jurisdiction in Malaysia.

As I don't have dual nationallity this is not an option for me.
Me neither. Dual nationallity, that is. Still, I can have two passports. How is that possible? Well, keep on reading...
Applying for a second passport would be a much more serious offence than the scheme I am suggesting and I expect I would be much more likely to get caught out. I will not be trying this.

If you read the links which I gave before, carefully, you will realise that some countries will issue a second passports if you state that you need these when travelling between Israel and Arab countries. Some Arab countries will not let you in with an Israeli stamp, therefore the need for a second passport.

Regards,

Mike

Whilst I can totally understand the motivation behind not playing things 'by the book' in this regard, doing so could have dire consequences.

With all the increased recent and ongoing computerisation we are led to believe is underway, trying to beat the system may not be the wise way to go.

The old saying: ‘A fool and his money are soon parted’ springs to mind. Just replace one of the words with ‘Passport’ and add ‘permanently’ somewhere and you may reconsider trying to buck the system.

In the aftermath of ‘911’, things have most definitely changed on a global basis when it comes to scrutinizing the validity of individuals’ travel credentials, or so it would seem.

Of course I could be quite wrong and may well be dubbed a scaremonger, but I would most certainly not recommend anyone to try testing whatever systems are now in place unless they have scant regard for their future international mobility and possible short term liberty.

‘Up to you’, as another saying goes… :o