Peace Sign

curtklay

Does anyone know if 2 fingers raised in a "V" symbol has a different meaning than "Peace" to Thais? Whenever I take someone's picture, they almost always raise the index and middle finger in the familiar symbol made popular in the sixties. It seems so common here, and rather outdated in the West, so I'm curious if it has another meaning that I'm not aware of.

post-93392-0-07202200-1316011900_thumb.j

Several off topic and rude posts have been removed. If you can't help the OP with a nice and appropriate response, please don't.

Sorry Curt. Some members have nothing better to do that derail topics.

I asked a few Thai's around here what it means...it's just a "cutie" thing girls do. Nobody I spoke with here relates it to what we remember when we were MUCH younger...the peace sign. It may have started in Japan...not sure about that...but I see it all the time in Japanese articles oriented towards the younger crowd.

Hope all is well with you!!

Craig

I really don't think has a meaning at all .... althjough when I asked some friend there was a vague reference to Winston Churchill, but they were not too sure who he was.

But every Thai girl and a few Thai men will have a carefully practiced 'cute' pose that's perfected in millions of mobile phone photos and then posted on Facebook, and the V sign will be an integral part.

Just give any Thai Girl a camera phone and I bet she she will take a self portrait with her posingat a slight angle, head tilted slightly down to accentuate her cheekbones and a cute 'manga' smile. Oh, and she will probably pull her hair forward over her shoulder just befort giving the 'peace' sign and pressing the shutter.

Makes me smile every time I see it .... one of the little joys of living here.

Across much of Asia? Japan, S Korea (probably outlawed by the Ministry of No Fun in NK), Thailand . . brother has lived/worked in China 9yrs, remember an email rage from him about having staff photos taken and younger staff insisting on doing 'the pose' with peace sign etc, whenever they stopped one doing it, another one would try, a bit like that game with the rubber hammer and the gophers popping up!

Maybe it's taught at school?

My partner did the pics for a school break-up function early this year and so many of the kids, 5-up, also seemed to have attended modeling school with their poses for the camera.

Harmless fun.

As others have pointed out, it is prevalent throughout much of Asia. I have photos from Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, and Korea where the subjects were all flashing the sign. About the only place I didn't get the sign was when taking a photo was of the North Korean guards at Panmunjon!

I don't think most people flash it as meaning something. I think it is supposed to be cute.

just to add to my earlier post #5 - should have added that the brother in China has since sent several pics of himself doing 'the sign' in the company of colleagues - on the basis of "if you can't beat 'em . . ."

it won't beat the brief 'planking' phase, but I have reciprocated and sent some back of myself.

Cuteness is not a factor.

I don't think it will be the next cult craze for expats (though if it is, remember you read it here first).

Several off topic and rude posts have been removed. If you can't help the OP with a nice and appropriate response, please don't.

Sorry Curt. Some members have nothing better to do that derail topics.

I asked a few Thai's around here what it means...it's just a "cutie" thing girls do. Nobody I spoke with here relates it to what we remember when we were MUCH younger...the peace sign. It may have started in Japan...not sure about that...but I see it all the time in Japanese articles oriented towards the younger crowd.

Hope all is well with you!!

Craig

Thanks, Craig.

Wow, I wasn't expecting any rude answers. Someone asked me about it and I didn't know, so I posted it here. This forum can be such a helpful tool, it's a shame that some have to treat it as a joke.

Anyway, I think you and the other responders are correct. It's just a cutesy thing. I found an article on the web that surmised it dates back to when Burmese soldiers used to cut off Thai prisoners fingers, but that doesn't make sense to me, and I doubt that young Thai girls know anything about that.

http://www.thaisabai.org/2009/09/the-thai-two-finger-salute/

Thanks for your help, and I hope all is good with you too!

Edited by curtklay

The reverse V the insulting one was originated in teh middle ages the English archers would flick the V to show they still had their bow fingers ( the ones you draw back teh bow with ) as if the French captured them, they would cut them off.

The Chrurchill variation, the reverse of the insult, was to indicate V for Victory on the completion of beating Germany, and the decleration of Victory Day.

The one in Asia is just cute pose originating in Japan

just to add to my earlier post #5 - should have added that the brother in China has since sent several pics of himself doing 'the sign' in the company of colleagues - on the basis of "if you can't beat 'em . . ."

it won't beat the brief 'planking' phase, but I have reciprocated and sent some back of myself.

Cuteness is not a factor.

I don't think it will be the next cult craze for expats (though if it is, remember you read it here first).

Thankyou for this confirmation Atmos that this practices is sometimes done by the foreigner too. When I was last in Chiang Mai (last year) I came across a bunch of western girls (may be in their early and mid twenties) and they were posing for a picture in front of the Thapae Gate. Well I was quite surprize when I saw them do this peace sign with their fingers - the whole lot of them did this as a group pose. I have seen Asian females do this on many occasions, and it kinda annoy me. But ,I gota say, to see these cute western girls do this peace sign with their fingers when getting the photo taken ,well, it was fun to look at and really turn me on.

Who knows what the next craze will be, right? hehe

Peace and have a great evening, daMaven (Ben)

There was a post that got removed that had some good information, maybe some conflict that I missed. The poster mentioned the teenage slang word “ ab baew”. It means to be cute like when taking a photo while making the V sign. Ask any Thai kid what “ab baew” means and they will give you that cute pose with the V or the under chin hand thing. “Ab Jit” to reference another thread, means in heart she likes the man but is with a woman now. “Ab man” would be, look like a he- man but really likes other men. Or “Ab Nean” in the closet gay. It is all teenage slang that starts with the word Ab. So to sum up, Ab Baew means to make a cute pose to include using the V sign. The V is supposed to be cute and has nothing to do with an insult.

There was a post that got removed that had some good information, maybe some conflict that I missed. The poster mentioned the teenage slang word " ab baew". It means to be cute like when taking a photo while making the V sign. Ask any Thai kid what "ab baew" means and they will give you that cute pose with the V or the under chin hand thing. "Ab Jit" to reference another thread, means in heart she likes the man but is with a woman now. "Ab man" would be, look like a he- man but really likes other men. Or "Ab Nean" in the closet gay. It is all teenage slang that starts with the word Ab. So to sum up, Ab Baew means to make a cute pose to include using the V sign. The V is supposed to be cute and has nothing to do with an insult.

Its not often I disagree with KK, however I dont agree with the following,

' Ab Baew means to make a cute pose to include using the V sign'

Ab baew can include a v sign, but not every ap baew photo will have the v sign in it, ap baew can be used to reference facial expressions, such as pulling a funny face, making cross eyes, etc etc.

There was a post that got removed that had some good information, maybe some conflict that I missed. The poster mentioned the teenage slang word " ab baew". It means to be cute like when taking a photo while making the V sign. Ask any Thai kid what "ab baew" means and they will give you that cute pose with the V or the under chin hand thing. "Ab Jit" to reference another thread, means in heart she likes the man but is with a woman now. "Ab man" would be, look like a he- man but really likes other men. Or "Ab Nean" in the closet gay. It is all teenage slang that starts with the word Ab. So to sum up, Ab Baew means to make a cute pose to include using the V sign. The V is supposed to be cute and has nothing to do with an insult.

Its not often I disagree with KK, however I dont agree with the following,

' Ab Baew means to make a cute pose to include using the V sign'

Ab baew can include a v sign, but not every ap baew photo will have the v sign in it, ap baew can be used to reference facial expressions, such as pulling a funny face, making cross eyes, etc etc.

Agreed.

I see this sign being used everytime I head to the beach -by a rare species.

Bangkokians gals that show up, quickly run down to the waters edge-take 3 photos of each other with this silly sign-some even do a little jump in the air at the same time. Then without warning its over, they leave, never to be seen again. Afterwards, they all head to sizzler buffet in nearest mall to chow down and upload photos to fb about their trip to the beach.

I see this sign being used everytime I head to the beach -by a rare species.

Bangkokians gals that show up, quickly run down to the waters edge-take 3 photos of each other with this silly sign-some even do a little jump in the air at the same time. Then without warning its over, they leave, never to be seen again. Afterwards, they all head to sizzler buffet in nearest mall to chow down and upload photos to fb about their trip to the beach.

:D I so recognize this, my Chiang Mai girlfriend nagged at me to take her to Phuket as she had never seen the Ocean. We were on the beach about 3 minutes in total and my girl behaved exactly as described in by bkkjames. She then bolted for the nearest shaded restaurant shouting " I'm not staying here, I'll look like a fried fish !! "

:crazy:

Could you imagine your European girlfriend nagging you to take her skiing then announcing when you got to the resort that she didn't like the cold??? I think there would be a murder.

What about the other common hand pose , the L-shaped with the thumb and finger . I asked about that once and was told the shape is a photograph frame . Like I am framing a photo for you .

Edit - It may mean something quite sinicster for all I know .

Edited by onionluke

They ALL do it. I can hardly take a "natural" picture if they are looking at me taking a photo. It means nothing other than they are being friendly. It MIGHT have meant something special at one time, but not now.

BEACH_bodies_23.jpg

You're right there - they do ALL do it, from a surprisingly young age also....

JH

Im seriously appalled that there is still no one that figured it out?

Asians have a huge American envy. They saw a million classic movies/pictures/music video from the peace and love time. Started overusing it incorrectly.

Just like them thinking mullets were high fashion, Hitler was a movie personality that was cool and many other social misunderstandings.

I've always felt like in Thailand it was picked up on because so many people in Japan did it, including celebrities, etc. Thailand seems to get a lot of trends from Japan and Korea, for example hairstyles based on Japanese and Korean pop stars.

And I've always thought that Japanese started doing it as a way to imitate international stars such as the Beatles, etc.

Think it might truly be the peace sign craze that started sometime in the 60s or around then, and in Asia it just never left! Whereas in the West you never really, or very rarely, see people doing this anymore, with any seriousness.

I've always felt like in Thailand it was picked up on because so many people in Japan did it, including celebrities, etc. Thailand seems to get a lot of trends from Japan and Korea, for example hairstyles based on Japanese and Korean pop stars.

And I've always thought that Japanese started doing it as a way to imitate international stars such as the Beatles, etc.

Think it might truly be the peace sign craze that started sometime in the 60s or around then, and in Asia it just never left! Whereas in the West you never really, or very rarely, see people doing this anymore, with any seriousness.

I don't think Thai's have copied all the hairstyles of Korea and Japan, well maybe just on there head.

The reverse V the insulting one was originated in teh middle ages the English archers would flick the V to show they still had their bow fingers ( the ones you draw back teh bow with ) as if the French captured them, they would cut them off.

The Chrurchill variation, the reverse of the insult, was to indicate V for Victory on the completion of beating Germany, and the decleration of Victory Day.

The one in Asia is just cute pose originating in Japan

I believe the above to be historically correct, but add that I seem to remember in Europe during the 70s it was an insult to do it in a photo over and behind someone else's head. It simbolised the ears of a rabbit and therefore that person had a similar intellect.