Looking For Reasl Authentic Indian Food..?

raviprakash

i read so many review on indian food in chiang mai.....everyone is so disappointed with indian food in cm......if you are looking for real indian food, come to newdelhi indian restaurant, ..i am just back today in cm...will provide you authentic indian food....sure, you will not be disappointed

Ravi....

New Delhi is good and my usual place since last year, as long as they don't take short cuts in their food...Understand Ravi?

The kabob place down the road gave me a funny smelling Leo beer last year, smelled like rubbing alcohol. Won't be going back.

I ate here 2 weeks ago. My aussie friend who loves indian food ordered Butter Chicken and I ordered Chicken Korma.

It was literally the worse curry Ive ever had. Very watery and hardly any taste at all. My friend didnt like his food either.

The problem is RAVI he comes and goes and when he goes his place turns to S&^%$T when he is there you can guarantee the food will be good because HE CARES but the fact that he is hardly ever there his food suffers.

It used to be the only place I go but now I dont go there because I know Ravi is not there so now I go to SPICY BOLLYWOOD which is excellent and consistent and you know its going to be good when it gets there where as at RAVI's its a coin toss.

How long are you back for Ravi ???

DK

yes, i understand, actually i opened a new restaurant in china, so was busy there from last 6 months, my old cheff was also went there with me.....new cheff worked in my absence, so he dont und the taste of customer.....but its not cheff, who make quality....cheff work only under supervision.....i travelled finished all asia, but chiang mai , i like best, i feel here soooo comfortable and relax, even little money, so i decided to come back, my old cheff is also coming next month.....

its shame for me, if cm dont have good indian food.....i will stay in cm for long time, ..again will be same quality as before, just need your coperatrion to try one time more....

I ate here 2 weeks ago. My aussie friend who loves indian food ordered Butter Chicken and I ordered Chicken Korma.

It was literally the worse curry Ive ever had. Very watery and hardly any taste at all. My friend didnt like his food either.

The problem is RAVI he comes and goes and when he goes his place turns to S&^%$T when he is there you can guarantee the food will be good because HE CARES but the fact that he is hardly ever there his food suffers.

It used to be the only place I go but now I dont go there because I know Ravi is not there so now I go to SPICY BOLLYWOOD which is excellent and consistent and you know its going to be good when it gets there where as at RAVI's its a coin toss.

DK

i will be here for long time... .only in low season, i will goto travel again, max for one month.....

Ravi, we're new, but as longtime Nepal residents we really miss some of the flavors we grew to love, particularly a good dahl, yellow, black, green, all are missed, plus so many other things.

We're settling in but will be looking forward to trying out your place for some good Indian food. We're encouraged to hear you want to make CM have at least one delicious source of Indian food and we'd be happy to throw some regular business your way if so! If not, we may have to just gorge ourselves on our next visit to Kathmandu, heh.

yes, i understand, actually i opened a new restaurant in china, so was busy there from last 6 months, my old cheff was also went there with me.....new cheff worked in my absence, so he dont und the taste of customer.....but its not cheff, who make quality....cheff work only under supervision.....i travelled finished all asia, but chiang mai , i like best, i feel here soooo comfortable and relax, even little money, so i decided to come back, my old cheff is also coming next month.....

its shame for me, if cm dont have good indian food.....i will stay in cm for long time, ..again will be same quality as before, just need your coperatrion to try one time more....

Well done Ravi. Sensible, positive replies!

It's been a while, but I've been following you around CM for a few years now.

See you soon!

I ate there with a friend a few months ago. We tried 4 different dishes. They had some taste but unfortunately they all tasted the same. Every dish was much too sweet and none were spicy as we asked for. I won't be going back. There are 2 better Indian restaurants within 50 meters.

I ate there with a friend a few months ago. We tried 4 different dishes. They had some taste but unfortunately they all tasted the same. Every dish was much too sweet and none were spicy as we asked for. I won't be going back. There are 2 better Indian restaurants within 50 meters.

I note with interest what you said about the sweetness and i to have experienced this in the few Indian meals i have had here in CM, i seem to recall i even may have criticized Hindleys on an earlier thread implying that they must have used sugar in the dish (Chicken Tikka Masala) as it seemed just to sweet, but on reflection this addition of sugar may have been unjustified.

I make all my own curries and have come to the conclusion that a lot of them seem a little sweet, the only thing i can put it down to is the tomatoes or the Tom Puree or a combination of both, im thinking may be the type of tomato one buys here in CM is of a unusually nigh sweet variety, we all know how Thais love sweet things and adding sugar to dishes.

It would be interesting to know what the four dishes you had were, did they all contain or use tomatoes and or puree?

Raviprakash

Hi to you sir.

I am always in the market for information with any thing concerning Indian curries so i have a couple of questions.

1) What is a Authentic Indian Food? Are we talking about using traditional preparation methods and the use of individual spices at different stages as opposed to throwing a bit of meat in the pot and adding some curry powder. :D

2) Most or a lot of Indian food is prepared usually at the later stages using either plain yogurt, Coconut milk,or cream (Single variety) now what i would like to know is assuming you use it, where do you get the single cream from in Chiang mai? I would dearly like to know as i am sure there are many people here in Chiang mai would like to know as well.

3) Apart from adding the Bright red color to Tandori dishes (Yes a Lot do, and a lot don’t) is their any other benefits from adding it? eg flavor.

4) Last but not least i like poppadums but am unable to make them or seem to find any where that sells them, any suggestions?

TB

Raviprakash

Hi to you sir.

I am always in the market for information with any thing concerning Indian curries so i have a couple of questions.

1) What is a Authentic Indian Food? Are we talking about using traditional preparation methods and the use of individual spices at different stages as opposed to throwing a bit of meat in the pot and adding some curry powder. :D

2) Most or a lot of Indian food is prepared usually at the later stages using either plain yogurt, Coconut milk,or cream (Single variety) now what i would like to know is assuming you use it, where do you get the single cream from in Chiang mai? I would dearly like to know as i am sure there are many people here in Chiang mai would like to know as well.

3) Apart from adding the Bright red color to Tandori dishes (Yes a Lot do, and a lot don't) is their any other benefits from adding it? eg flavor.

4) Last but not least i like poppadums but am unable to make them or seem to find any where that sells them, any suggestions?

TB

I don't understand why you can't find some items, Poppadums is available at Tops, Patak brand, or may be in warorot market Bombay shop. As for the cream I just use fresh cream available at Rimping and Yok, เพื่อนครัว. There is no single cream or double cream to choose from.

Raviprakash

Hi to you sir.

3) Apart from adding the Bright red color to Tandori dishes (Yes a Lot do, and a lot don't) is their any other benefits from adding it? eg flavor.

TB

I don't understand why you can't find some items, Poppadums is available at Tops, Patak brand, or may be in warorot market Bombay shop. As for the cream I just use fresh cream available at Rimping and Yok, เพื่อนครัว. There is no single cream or double cream to choose from.

I had forgot about the Indian place at wororot market (Regarding Poppadums) Thanks.

Yes i have seen cream at many places inc Yok, baker mart and Rimping, but i seem to recall it is always WHIPPING cream which a lot of the time is sweetened and flavored with vanilla and contains like over 30% milk or butter fat , but to be fair i will take a look at the packaging to see what it contains, i always thought Whipping cream one used to top a desert or cappuccino.

Raviprakash

What do you think

One can't fault Ravi for trying to make more money by expanding to China, because I'm sure the Chiangmai venture, even at it's best, will not make as much money. But if his presence here is what makes New Delhi restaurant work (as he says), then he has a choice: more money, or happier life (which, he says, he has found in CM).

I've eaten at New Delhi several times and once had a lengthy chat with Ravi. He seemed an affable fellow passionate about pleasing his customers. It was also clear that making any serious money from his venture was a struggle. I'm glad he's decided to go for more life satisfaction and less money, though with his passion, I suspect he'll end up doing better than he thinks. I had a similar choice and chose CM. No regrets.

I wish him good luck and will visit his place now that I know he's back.

--

Papad: The Indian provisions store in Wororot (Kad Luang) has authentic ones, from India. The ones my mom brings when she visits are even better, and one third the price. During our last visit to KL, Mrs T decided to spend precious holiday time at a large super market while the kids and I maximized our pleasure by gorging on South Indian food. Mrs T found delightful Malaysian-made mini papads the size of CD's at the supermarket. The price was unbeatable at a mere MR1.6 per 100 gm (about 20 papads). They're not as good as the Indian ones but pretty good nonetheless, and more hygienically packaged. Easily microwaveable.

T

Much thanks for the info about Malaysian popadum I wouldn't know the different anyway.

One can't fault Ravi for trying to make more money by expanding to China, because I'm sure the Chiangmai venture, even at it's best, will not make as much money. But if his presence here is what makes New Delhi restaurant work (as he says), then he has a choice: more money, or happier life (which, he says, he has found in CM).

I've eaten at New Delhi several times and once had a lengthy chat with Ravi. He seemed an affable fellow passionate about pleasing his customers. It was also clear that making any serious money from his venture was a struggle. I'm glad he's decided to go for more life satisfaction and less money, though with his passion, I suspect he'll end up doing better than he thinks. I had a similar choice and chose CM. No regrets.

I wish him good luck and will visit his place now that I know he's back.

--

Papad: The Indian provisions store in Wororot (Kad Luang) has authentic ones, from India. The ones my mom brings when she visits are even better, and one third the price. During our last visit to KL, Mrs T decided to spend precious holiday time at a large super market while the kids and I maximized our pleasure by gorging on South Indian food. Mrs T found delightful Malaysian-made mini papads the size of CD's at the supermarket. The price was unbeatable at a mere MR1.6 per 100 gm (about 20 papads). They're not as good as the Indian ones but pretty good nonetheless, and more hygienically packaged. Easily microwaveable.

T

Much thanks for the info about Malaysian popadum I wouldn't know the different anyway.

That explains why you might buy Patek brand :). Whatever the brand, Papads tend to keep for long periods, so no harm in buying more of whichever's your favorite and store for extended use. All commercially available papad tend to be over-salted. My grandmother made them at home, lightly salted with fresh-ground pepper. The papad dough, oily, squishy and chewy before it's flattened and dried, is delectable.

Here's a pic of a pack we bought from the Malaysian supermarket chain 'Giant', so you know what to look for:

post-22628-0-02780600-1316268154_thumb.j

For what it's worth: Try Le Spice. I order through www.mealsonwheels4u.com so not sure which Le Spice they source from. All I can say is it's delicious. And a shout out to mealsonwheels4u for coming up with a great concept. Long may they continue.

i agree best indian ive had in CM,

not been impressed with the new place opposite duang tawan hotel on loh kroh.

whats the indian/kebab place like just down the road from new delhi next to Zoe's like? yet to try it

Thanks for the pic, I can make some good curry but impossible to find black cumin and black salt here in Chiang Mai. Doubt it if can find any in Bangkok. If you know the place please let me know if dont' it's ok. :) thanks.

Black cumin and black salt: I haven't looked for these so don't know if they're available. When asking for them at the Wororot store, it might help to use the Hindi names "kala jeera" and "kala namak" respectively. Ready-made Chaat Masala contains black salt and Carfour used to stock it, but I don't see it these days.

I think I've detected the taste of black salt in Thai herbal toothpaste which leads me to think it must be available here.

T

DK

I ve been to Bollywood twice, six months apart. First time, it was as though a whole packet of salt had accidentally fallen into the cooking pot, so unbelievably strongly salty was the food.

Put me off, but being a lover of Indian food, went back six months later for a second chance. Know what? Exactly the same!! Sorry, wont be going back unless somebody can confirm theyve ended their obsession with salt.

Curry pot in Kad Suan Kaew is ok, a little salty but not over powering, and they give enough meat (beef atleast) for every bite of nan. The nan bread comes cut up, so its great for lazy people if you just want to dunk and scoop with a fork.

Edited by KRS1

Curry pot in Kad Suan Kaew is ok, a little salty but not over powering, and they give enough meat (beef atleast) for every bite of nan. The nan bread comes cut up, so its great for lazy people if you just want to dunk and scoop with a fork.

amen

You are an expert, thanks.

Thanks for the pic, I can make some good curry but impossible to find black cumin and black salt here in Chiang Mai. Doubt it if can find any in Bangkok. If you know the place please let me know if dont' it's ok. :) thanks.

Black cumin and black salt: I haven't looked for these so don't know if they're available. When asking for them at the Wororot store, it might help to use the Hindi names "kala jeera" and "kala namak" respectively. Ready-made Chaat Masala contains black salt and Carfour used to stock it, but I don't see it these days.

I think I've detected the taste of black salt in Thai herbal toothpaste which leads me to think it must be available here.

T