Looking For Reasl Authentic Indian Food..?

raviprakash

Ravi, I had your food several times before you left for China. Was good. Really want to have a good thali from you. Thalis are everywhere in India - how can you not have a thali? Royal Palace has one, but their is mediocre. Royal Palace is authentic Indian food - you have a chance of getting Delhi belly from them! Also, how about some real south Indian Chenni spicy curries?

Raviprakash

Hi to you sir.

I am always in the market for information with any thing concerning Indian curries so i have a couple of questions.

1) What is a Authentic Indian Food? Are we talking about using traditional preparation methods and the use of individual spices at different stages as opposed to throwing a bit of meat in the pot and adding some curry powder. :D

2) Most or a lot of Indian food is prepared usually at the later stages using either plain yogurt, Coconut milk,or cream (Single variety) now what i would like to know is assuming you use it, where do you get the single cream from in Chiang mai? I would dearly like to know as i am sure there are many people here in Chiang mai would like to know as well.

3) Apart from adding the Bright red color to Tandori dishes (Yes a Lot do, and a lot don't) is their any other benefits from adding it? eg flavor.

4) Last but not least i like poppadums but am unable to make them or seem to find any where that sells them, any suggestions?

TB

I don't understand why you can't find some items, Poppadums is available at Tops, Patak brand, or may be in warorot market Bombay shop. As for the cream I just use fresh cream available at Rimping and Yok, เพื่อนครัว. There is no single cream or double cream to choose from.

I had forgot about the Indian place at wororot market (Regarding Poppadums) Thanks.

Yes i have seen cream at many places inc Yok, baker mart and Rimping, but i seem to recall it is always WHIPPING cream which a lot of the time is sweetened and flavored with vanilla and contains like over 30% milk or butter fat , but to be fair i will take a look at the packaging to see what it contains, i always thought Whipping cream one used to top a desert or cappuccino.

Raviprakash

What do you think

indian food is not sweet, only kormas are mild flavoured with cashewnut paste and cream, all other flavour are strong, but my last cook went to india, to meet his family, bcoz after get marry, he not went back from last 3 years, and i also moved to china. i came back cm, and i first taste my food, its realy worst with new cheff..i called back my old cheff, nd i will also here, i am very sure, once again, newdelhi food will be best....

Make it authentic as possible, no need to hold back. You'd be surprised how spicy alot of the expats from the UK can eat and are in dire need of proper curries.

I like your style Ravi and can't wait until you get rolling again New Delhi was my favorite place last year. !

Edited by KRS1

I make all my own curries and have come to the conclusion that a lot of them seem a little sweet, the only thing i can put it down to is the tomatoes or the Tom Puree or a combination of both, im thinking may be the type of tomato one buys here in CM is of a unusually nigh sweet variety, we all know how Thais love sweet things and adding sugar to dishes.

It would be interesting to know what the four dishes you had were, did they all contain or use tomatoes and or puree?

Talking of Chicken Tikka Masala I wonder if you use the many curry pastes which come in packets ; ready mixed concoctions of spices which are normally meant to be dissolved in a pan of boiling coconut milk. I think they produce excellent results but would value you opinion and if you do use a selection of separate spices, where do you buy them. And I haven't found Chicken Tikka Masala in a packet. They are mostly Thai recipes.

I make all my own curries and have come to the conclusion that a lot of them seem a little sweet, the only thing i can put it down to is the tomatoes or the Tom Puree or a combination of both, im thinking may be the type of tomato one buys here in CM is of a unusually nigh sweet variety, we all know how Thais love sweet things and adding sugar to dishes.

It would be interesting to know what the four dishes you had were, did they all contain or use tomatoes and or puree?

Talking of Chicken Tikka Masala I wonder if you use the many curry pastes which come in packets ; ready mixed concoctions of spices which are normally meant to be dissolved in a pan of boiling coconut milk. I think they produce excellent results but would value you opinion and if you do use a selection of separate spices, where do you buy them. And I haven't found Chicken Tikka Masala in a packet. They are mostly Thai recipes.

Most of the spices I buy are from a multitude of places that include Rimping, Macro (They used to have a far greater selection than they do now) Yok, Bakermart, and the Indian guy at Wororot market and a few things at Thai markets like Garlic, Fresh coriander (Padchi I think the Thais call it), and ginger (Root) oh and of course the obligatory onions and tomatoes.

A lot of things you can get in big packets the rest I have to make do with those little bottles.

The many packet pastes or sauce mixes are ok but the missus makes all her own Masaman, yellow curry Tom Yum Gung Etc with out the need for any pre made sauces or pastes their may be an exception to this but cant think of it at the moment.

I remember a friend saw some paste mixes a little while ago for Chicken Tikka Masala he told me no way was it any thing like CTM but just a Thai paste for one of the Thai curries (Forget which one) so just be careful out there.

Gee is a problem but I think Rimping sells it, alough it is so easy to make your self and it will keep in the fridge obviously in a sealed container for weeks.

A few spices that have been mentioned as to where one can buy them from include

black cumin (kala jeera)

black salt (kala namak)

I would like to add these to the list of where can one get..

Asafetida (Hing)

Nigella Seeds (Kalongi)

TB

Raviprakash

Hi to you sir.

I am always in the market for information with any thing concerning Indian curries so i have a couple of questions.

1) What is a Authentic Indian Food? Are we talking about using traditional preparation methods and the use of individual spices at different stages as opposed to throwing a bit of meat in the pot and adding some curry powder. :D

2) Most or a lot of Indian food is prepared usually at the later stages using either plain yogurt, Coconut milk,or cream (Single variety) now what i would like to know is assuming you use it, where do you get the single cream from in Chiang mai? I would dearly like to know as i am sure there are many people here in Chiang mai would like to know as well.

3) Apart from adding the Bright red color to Tandori dishes (Yes a Lot do, and a lot don't) is their any other benefits from adding it? eg flavor.

4) Last but not least i like poppadums but am unable to make them or seem to find any where that sells them, any suggestions?

TB

I don't understand why you can't find some items, Poppadums is available at Tops, Patak brand, or may be in warorot market Bombay shop. As for the cream I just use fresh cream available at Rimping and Yok, เพื่อนครัว. There is no single cream or double cream to choose from.

I had forgot about the Indian place at wororot market (Regarding Poppadums) Thanks.

Yes i have seen cream at many places inc Yok, baker mart and Rimping, but i seem to recall it is always WHIPPING cream which a lot of the time is sweetened and flavored with vanilla and contains like over 30% milk or butter fat , but to be fair i will take a look at the packaging to see what it contains, i always thought Whipping cream one used to top a desert or cappuccino.

Raviprakash

What do you think

Hey Astride i think you have solved my problem i went to Macro and took a look at the whipping cream but i didn't take my glasses so could not see what was in it, but i think if i was to water it down a little with ordinary milk it would be more than acceptable, i googled whipping cream in curries and there seemed to be a lot that say one can use it.

How authentic this is i don't know but it's good enough for me.

Cheers

TB

Most of the spices I buy are from a multitude of places that include Rimping, Macro (They used to have a far greater selection than they do now) Yok, Bakermart, and the Indian guy at Wororot market and a few things at Thai markets like Garlic, Fresh coriander (Padchi I think the Thais call it), and ginger (Root) oh and of course the obligatory onions and tomatoes.

A lot of things you can get in big packets the rest I have to make do with those little bottles.

The many packet pastes or sauce mixes are ok but the missus makes all her own Masaman, yellow curry Tom Yum Gung Etc with out the need for any pre made sauces or pastes their may be an exception to this but cant think of it at the moment.

Gee is a problem but I think Rimping sells it, alough it is so easy to make your self and it will keep in the fridge obviously in a sealed container for weeks.

Asafetida (Hing)

Nigella Seeds (Kalongi)

TB

As I thought, you do practice an authentic cuisine with the genuine ingredients rather than my simple snip and mix. But I'm glad you think the various Thai curry packets are OK. Nevertheless, I'm sure your thoughtful reply will spur me on to be more adventurous in seaching out some of these exotic spices. Many thanks.

In indian food, in curry, first flavoure comes from onion,tomato,giner and galic, if they are fried nd mixed very fresh and at right proportion...in my restaurant, we always use fresh chopped onion and tomato...then used garam masala, if home made.....packed masala is just cummin power and chilly powder, ... bcoz company have expanses of factory and staff and they also cant sell expansive, so cut quality, make by ourself is easy and best....

just give me little time, u will have real authentic indian food in cm.....no chance of complaint.....bcoz i will prepare home kitchen, and will serve home style cooked indian food, always best in all country......

Can't wait to try this restaurant. Tests: decent vegetable curry (are curry powders properly ground etc), and decently cooked breads. Haven't found a naan bread in CM that is properly made in a Tandoori oven and combines, as it should, crispy exterior and meltingly soft interior... Yum. Mike

Are you the one that purchase most of the Basmati rice at Rimping? :annoyed: Just kidding buy all you want I can get some at warrorot market anyway :lol:

I remember a friend saw some paste mixes a little while ago for Chicken Tikka Masala he told me no way was it any thing like CTM but just a Thai paste for one of the Thai curries (Forget which one) so just be careful out there.

A few spices that have been mentioned as to where one can buy them from include

black cumin (kala jeera)

black salt (kala namak)

Asafetida (Hing)

Nigella Seeds (Kalongi)

TB

indian food is not sweet, only kormas are mild flavoured with cashewnut paste and cream, all other flavour are strong, but my last cook went to india, to meet his family, bcoz after get marry, he not went back from last 3 years, and i also moved to china. i came back cm, and i first taste my food, its realy worst with new cheff..i called back my old cheff, nd i will also here, i am very sure, once again, newdelhi food will be best....

Ravi,

I posted above how bad your food was and that it was too sweet. You agreed and posted that your new chef cooked food that was "really worst".

Are you offering refunds to those of us who got the worst food or can we come in someday and get a free meal to see if it's really not worst any more?

• 11 months later...

Its been a year, so whats the update. Ravi did you make good on your promises?

I was in there a couple of times and the food was delicious. The service was so bad that I decided it was not worth it and have not gone back. The way waiters and waitresses change here in Chiang Mai they might now have decent service will try them again. As I said the food was great.

i just can't believe someone actually recommend that indian restaurant in ksk. the cook there must be having a really bad day the time i went. im by far not a picky eater or some food critics and pretty much described as a black hole that swallows everything (including my mum experimental cuisine) but that restaurant is one of the few that i would never ever return.

Bollywood for me over rated, Le Spice is so so for Chicken Tikka Masala, Hinlays for something a little different but in my humble opinion you just cant beat the Authentic British Curry that is sold in RimPing for a taste of curry (just like you get in the UK) very good value 7/8 pieces of chicken in the chicken dishes 8/9 prawns in the prawn dishes the nans are also very good, the onion baji dont reheat too well but other than that they are the best VFM in CM

i just can't believe someone actually recommend that indian restaurant in ksk. the cook there must be having a really bad day the time i went. im by far not a picky eater or some food critics and pretty much described as a black hole that swallows everything (including my mum experimental cuisine) but that restaurant is one of the few that i would never ever return.

Yes disgusting. Bollywood is also bad, not as bad as the Curry Bowl but bad enough that I'll not be going there again.

You leave the restaurant to go to <deleted>, so you can start a business in another country (good luck to you). Then you return just in time to prepare for the cool (tourist) season and expect previous customers to return after eating rubbish while you are away?

You don't deserve regular customers!