Highway Police To File Lawsuit Against Thai Land Transport Federation

webfact

665 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Earlier in the thread Neek talked about bribing the British police - in the 1950/60's , in Australia (NSW) , it was common practice to have a £5 note folded in with your Driving Licence - if you were stopped , you handed over your Licence - if it came back minus the money , you were away and clear - on that rare occasion you were stopped by an honest cop , if he asked what that money was doing there , you simply replied it was emegency petrol money ( but it didn't happen very often )

ph34r.gif

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the first time I hear about these stickers.

But I don't understand what the Land Transport Federation is complaining about.

They want the police to be more strict in giving fines to drivers who don't respect the weight limit ?

Or they want the right to break the law without consequences ?

They are seeking a discount of course :) Why should "we" only have to pay 100 bath each time we are stopped and they are forced to cought up 3,500 per sticker...

That is a truly miraculous statement, and I would love to know how many judges who will try the case have paid fines without receipts.

They even give change if you can't break a 1000 baht note, and I used to get credit from a local policeman for future offences (right turns where not allowed ; 50 baht a pop in those days) but saved 30 mins in traffic

They do season tickets? That's useful, where do we apply? :lol:

Well I've been in Thailand 28 years. I have paid two traffic tickets, and paid bribes of 100 Baht, or once in a while 200 Baht too many times to count. Truly, I prefer to pay the bribe, as having my license taken to a police station and having to go to the station to pay 400 or 500 Baht fine is a pain in the butt.

Having a thai license have saved me several thousands of bath and all it cost me was a trip to immigration and then the actual fee for the 2 licenses (motorbike and car) which added up to like 300 bath or something. I havent been fined or had to bribe my way out of a situation over the past 12 months

They only follow up on the law suit if the accuser do not pay the Highway police. Just take the Tollway to Don Muang and everybody with a non Bangkok plate knows instantly that the Highway police is in the business of bribing. As any truck driver how they collect their fees at Nakon Sawan intersection and how they procure stickers to get free passage. The Thai people should file suit against the criminals working in the top of the police force.

if you were stopped , you handed over your Licence - if it came back minus the money , you were away and clear

Yeah, that's precisely what my friend said happened in Manchester, though I don't know if they habitually kept a fiver in there. He said it was very noticable after a particular spike in wages, the copper would look at the money, think for a second, and give it back. As has been said on this thread and countless others, there must be accountability and enforcement, or the copper will never be in fear for taking the money.

Wow! that was way back in the 1970's - 80's - 30 years ago - how things change eh!

Sorry, what's your point? I'm not sure if you're agreeing with my point of view or sarcastically denying it :) It was probably 40 years ago or so that he was talking about, so around 1970, before I was born. I found "Life On Mars" (TV series) interesting, being specifically set in the seedy, smokey, shady world of old school 1973 policing that has (mostly) gone the way of the dinosaurs. All before my time. I've only ever had one run-in with the UK police, for speeding while over the limit, and was very pleased with the whole experience.

It happens in many under-developed countries where police need to supplement their income.

Would you rather pay a 'spot fine' or go to the hassle of a trip to the police station to pay a much larger fine?

Some posters need to get off their collective high-horses. We who pay the spot-fines exacerbate the problem but the solution may be found in paying police a decent wage. I say 'may' bacause corruption is so endemic in Thai society that increased salaries may not fix the problem.

Best to always keep a few 100 baht notes in front of the car.:jap:

Whatever you paid the police in increased salaries it would never be enough - just like most Thai people in fact

Brits should member that anyone bribing a public official anywhere in the world is liable for upto 10 years in jail in the UK. If I go back then I will be facing life.

Bribes? I never pay bribes. I am a bit confused by the police stopping faranges ( me) and not having the language to fully explain why I have to pay speeding fines both when I have and have not been speeding. My speedo must be faulty. Another thing that I dont understand is why, when I am paying at the toll, does the vendor take my money and shout farange loudly.

At least I never pay bribes...........

I have driven motorbike in Bangkok every day for more than 10 years. I have been stopped more than 100 times, at least 95% of the time for things I actually did wrong.

Examples:

Not driving in the left side

Using a fly-over or bridge

No helmet

Forgotten license

Insurance papers missing (they were lost when parking)

Turning left for red light, even when there was not the blue arrow

Crossing red lights (typically in the middle of the night. No cars - but a policeman hiding)

Usually, you give them some ID-card and a 100 Baht under it.

Then you can always claim it was a mistake (and not an attempt to bribe a police office) and they can conveniently give you back the card only, the 100 Baht note mysteriously missing.

I don't have a lot of moral problems - though some, see below - with bribing in such matters.

The money goes to a low-paid street policeman, who actually does a good piece of work. And they have to pay up the system too.

At times (5% or so) they insist about the fine being paid on the station, where it then grows from 200 Baht and up.

When I recently asked fine-collecting policeman there whether there was any limit he said "maximum is 1000 Baht" - and reduced a 400 Baht fine (no helmet) to 200.

I wish they'd enforce stopping those who endanger other people with speeding, drunk driving or crossing red lights with no respect for others.

In such matters bribing is inexcusable.

And I admit that I by the small-scale bribing is paving the way for dark bribes too.

That is my moral problem - but it will not make me insist on going to the police station every time. I don't think the difference is there at all.

A statement that "Traffic policement is not taking bribes" is similar to "There is no prostitution in Thailand".

And that somebody are willing say that shows something very sad about the country.

Whilst I voted yes, I have not really bribed an officer but I have been the victim of extortion, I can recall three occasions where I have been flagged down for a non violation, rather than argue the case at the Police Bank my girlfriend has paid in the region of 100 Baht.

I think the "officers" set the figure they will accept so as to make it not worth while the victim taking time to argue the case.

I cannot believe that senior officers or the governemnt aren't aware it goes, but when government ministers state it's acceptable for parents to bribe schools to get their kids into a school of choice it's not going to change, and of course the next generation think it's acceptable.

When I first moved to Thailand a good friend who has been an ex-pat here for many years, advised me that if I was the victim of crime it's a waste of time going to the police as they are behind most of it. In the years I have been living here I have seen little or nothing to lead me to doubt that advice.

Maybe the motorists of Thailand should launch a class action against the police for decades of roadside shakedowns?

I'm 35, British, been here 4 years or so. An older (65) British friend was telling me about his youth in Manchester, where the police would regularly be bribable, and one would go out driving illegally for some reason (license, lights, whatever) knowing that if you were caught, you could hand over a fiver or something and be on your way.

Then the police wages were raised. Suddenly it wasn't worth the coppers' risking their jobs over such a payment, and the regime changed. The youth were pretty pissed off that their easy life was changed and they suddenly found themselves having to obey the law more, or of course hiding their violations better. My friend was pretty emphatic about it changing the way things worked forever.

Now traffic cameras automate the whole process in England, the police corruption in England is just at a higher level. It is a systematic corruption that goes hand in hand with other government agencies. It is to generate money for the state for the high level public workers' pensions and expenses. The UK police get their cut.

The low level officers are generally clean especially outside London, but there is a systematic corruption especially the "overtime and sick payments". Growing numbers of UK police have second jobs. Police are enforcers for the state, the police will deny all this of course, they are master liars, well UNTIL the newspapers use the freedom of information act to get the real behaviour out in the open.

in Australia, the epitome of the nanny state, your car can be taken by the police if you are caught speeding and of course they will sell them on to their mates .

But in Thailand the low level cops are "bribable" (good word) , they always seem to live in good houses in Thailand on new estates.

Oh my friend you know absolutely nothing about the Australian police. Best if you keep quiet or at least check your facts 1st. You said nothing but cow manure.

Once rented a Jeep in Phuket island. As the weather approximately 38 -40 oC, I drove around the island without shirt. And the Jeep itself seat belt faulty and at one cornering, I was stop by the Police.

Asked me to show him my International license, telling me that is offense not wearing shirt driving and lastly, I did not put on my seat belt. I am puzzled and he kept on repeating my offenses and is like a Chicken & Duck talking. I don't speak Thai and they speak little English.

End up he wrote an amount on a piece of paper from his notebook, telling me if I were to pay the fine in the Police station, it will be that amount. BUT he can help me to pay it lesser....... my thought.....RUBBISH!!! I am not gonna bribe him anyway.

Conclusion, I opted to follow him to the Police station and pay the fine, BUT he did me a favor by saying, I give chance you, cannot again! Bye

1: Do we need an international license to drive in Thailand? When I hire the vehicle, the shop told me not necessary. ( I told them before renting I do not have a inter license and was told alright, no problem)

2: The Jeep got no seat belt.

3. Driving without shirt on the Island itself is an offense??

Have your say..............................

Edited by veryruay

40 persons have never given a bribe more like 40 persons don't drive then. Lol

Been driving on Thai roads since 1996 on a regular basis.

Never a bribe.

Two fines - both my fault.

Not denying all this happens, but it is possible to drive and not pay.

I was stopped in the country for driving my sidecar. I had paper and even wearing a helmet. He checked everything and everything was in order just looked at me speaking Thai, I finally told him I don't speak much Thai but do understand more than I speak. He was surprise and told me I look Thai I told him I American, I believe then that he started to lecture me that I shouldn't drive a sidecar and that being an American should have a higher standard

for myself. I told him this is my Toyota Vigo convertible and you should see what I drive at home.

I open my wallet and showed him that I only had 20 baht and a 10 baht coin... . He bent his head slightly down so his dark sunglasses slip down so I can see his eyes and then wave me off. Got off again? I never pay!

My 6 wheel truck was stopped 10 days ago, the police told the driver all big trucks pay 500b per month to run on that section of road. Nothing illegal about the truck, it always passes the weigh station and so long as its under 15t (which it always is) its OK.

When should people start think about consequences here. Overloading the truck gives much higher maintenance costs on the equipment. The overloaded trucks destroys the roads, for the public's annoyance, and giving the government unexpected maintenance costs on the roads. Its a win-win for all parts in the long run to start to follow the rules. Increased safety as well, as an overloaded truck will have much longer braking distance.. :blink:

It's not just overloaded trucks the destroy the roads. Up here in the boonies we have a lovely new recently widened road. It's been finished just over one year. It's literally falling apart as the new sections have no hardcore or base aggregate. Simply tarmac on soil. Imagine how long that lasts in rainy season. It's a very dangerous road now with the outside lanes are unusable. I bet the contractor on that job got a nice new pickup and a few rai of land somewhere.

Standard procedure when leaving on a trip. Seat belt etc, then remove cash from wallet and leave only 200 bt for possible payment. Flash the empty wallet, need ATM!

Bribe? Since this was brought to light now the BIB decides to get one big bribe at once 50 million baht now that is going to be one big legal bribe. This statement is laughable just like the one I read the other day from the head police guy regarding the rebate for new cars buyers. Statements against this project suggested the traffic would be worse in BKK, and the police said we can handle the traffic? I'm still laughing and its amazing they actually say it with a straight face.

WE DON'T TAKE KICKBACKS OR BRIBES :lol::lol::lol:

I've been stopped several times for speeding and minor offenses and each time it's been 200 baht. Back in the UK or any other Western country each offense would have been a big fine, points on my license, possible court appearance and maybe even a ban.

Long may it live!

Parked regularly overnight near my Soi was a big truck with a plastic sticker / sun-visor strip at top of the screen with a senior police-officer's name and rank right across it - i'm informed by Thai locals that it was 'investment' to ensure 'easy trips' for that vehicle and its driver. Seen as entirely routine around here.

Whilst I voted yes, I have not really bribed an officer but I have been the victim of extortion, I can recall three occasions where I have been flagged down for a non violation, rather than argue the case at the Police Bank my girlfriend has paid in the region of 100 Baht.

I think the "officers" set the figure they will accept so as to make it not worth while the victim taking time to argue the case.

I cannot believe that senior officers or the governemnt aren't aware it goes, but when government ministers state it's acceptable for parents to bribe schools to get their kids into a school of choice it's not going to change, and of course the next generation think it's acceptable.

When I first moved to Thailand a good friend who has been an ex-pat here for many years, advised me that if I was the victim of crime it's a waste of time going to the police as they are behind most of it. In the years I have been living here I have seen little or nothing to lead me to doubt that advice.

Do you mind to give us the details of the "extortion" ?

I've been driving in Thailand for the past 15 years, I drive in Bangkok, I visit regularly family in the South and friends in Isaan. I've never, ever, been fined for an offense I didn't commit.

Maybe it's the type of car you drive. I always have Toyotas. Personally I hate Hionda. Do you drive a Honda ?

Can go even further in this direction - stopped once driving a car the wrong way up a one-way street ( new in town ) and after seeing my out-of-town hire papers the BIB just waved me on for free - i was bang-to-rights in the wrong. Never paid a bribe either.

40 persons have never given a bribe more like 40 persons don't drive then. Lol

Been driving on Thai roads since 1996 on a regular basis.

Never a bribe.

Two fines - both my fault.

Not denying all this happens, but it is possible to drive and not pay.