How Many Ppl Listen To Music While Riding?

alexpoker

Ive got two friends who use their ipod while they are riding. Mostly on longer trips I think.Im not sure its such a good idea and prolly wont do it, but if the experience is much nicer I might give it a go.Just curious to how many others listen to music while riding.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 90's, I twice had large fast moving logging trucks catch me by surprise on open fast dirt roads, because I had the tunes playing loud. Plus on the same camping trip, were one of the scary close calls occurred, I came very close to detaching my little toe well riding around camp in sandals, and in my youth reshaped my big toe doing the same (freak that one hurt!).

Vowed never to ride with music and improper footwear.

Then I moved here. :drunk:

That went out the window. Now it's different music for different roads; the sweeping corners in Nan require different tunes then the Samoeng Loop. The MHS loop requires 3 different playlists. Earlier this year found that Zeppelin and those quiet back roads north of Sukhothai was close to heaven.

You should start a poll

I tried the fad of music in my helmet in my earlier days of riding. I was never endeared to it, as I really wanted to hear the engine and the normal noises of riding a motorcycle. I don't wear ear plugs either and my hearing is fine. Though, if I was racing a motorcycle, I would probably wear ear plugs. A rumbling twin is music to my ears.

I wear earbuds on long trips on the highways. Makes travel time go by much faster, but in the city don't use them.

I don't think they are a safety hazard on long journeys, the noise from the bike and wind is loud enough to where you can't hear a car or truck pull up behind you anyway.Only problem is i ride like a madman when a good song comes on. :D

once went to a rider training session, remember him giving a couple of examples that people can relate to, along the lines of:

- needing to parallel park a car when you're under time pressure and there is heavy traffic, and a time-limited written exam that will make or break your career

Either of these with loud pumping music? Ever turned music/tv down at home because you 'can't concentrate with that noise'?

People often turn down the car stereo when under pressure in traffic; is it a 1%, 5% or 10% loss of focus/concentration . . .more?

Is it different on 2 wheels inside an enclosed helmet?

It's not just that you are not hearing things that may give warning, it's that you are also adding a distraction.

I'm sure some people can concentrate with music going, and can defend their stance, that's fine.

For me I think there are enough risks on two wheels already.

Edited by Atmos

i dont think its worth it ,people can say what they like but blaring music is another distraction when your driving and in bangkok traffic it only takes one mistake

this morning i was bringing the gf to work on my bike and we saw someone nearly get hit by a truck from behind when he stalled his bike in the middle of a 4 lane road in morning rush hour :rolleyes:

^ 500 a day?

I may ride 500 in a day, about 900 has been my limit for comfort and concentration, but not '500 a day', surely not every day?

Every time I go riding I put that many on. I am only in LOS every 4 months though. For instance today I put 800 on, and over the next two days am going to put on another 1100.

**edit**

I only put 425 on yesterday because I was doing some recon for the upcoming Umphang ride that I've got with some mates.

Edited by dave_boo

Good idea. If i one day want to die in the Bangkok traffic i will try to do it with good music playing in the background. Maybe with a big ghetto blaster on the back and a bottle of Chang beer in my hand :D

Don't forget, not helmet, shirt, only flip flops and shorts !

We have a winner !

Bangkok traffic is too noisy. I use earbuds 100% of the time. I set a volume limit on my iPhone so that at maximum I can still hear the traffic, including honking horns and cars/motorbikes coming up behind me, but enough for me to enjoy my music. I don't find listening to music distracting while driving my truck or my motorcycle in or out of Bangkok. But then, I can walk and chew gum at the same time also.

All your going to hear at 120kph is wind and exhaust.

What a load of crap!!!!!

I can do more than that and still hear my iPod when I choose to use it.

If your bike is so loud that you can't hear anything but wind & exhaust then music is the least of your worries, either that or you could possibly consider using a better lid.

What a load of crap!!!!!

If your bike is so loud that you can't hear anything but wind & exhaust then music is the least of your worries, either that or you could possibly consider using a better lid.

Do more than what?

No matter how quiet your bike is, you will never be able to hear a car coming up from behind you.

So your telling me that with your helmet, you dont hear any wind or exhaust? I dont buy it.

What a load of crap!!!!!

Do more than what?

No matter how quiet your bike is, you will never be able to hear a car coming up from behind you.

So your telling me that with your helmet, you dont hear any wind or exhaust? I dont buy it.

Do more than 120kph.

In my helmet wind & exhaust are not the only things I can hear.

Your statement was "All your going to hear at 120kph is wind and exhaust".

Simply not true. I hear many things other than wind and exhaust noises when riding.

Hence the statement that maybe your helmet (lid) could possibly be better if this is all you can hear.

Also considering the topic is about listening to music whilst riding, if you did this then you would also hear the music whilst doing 120kph.

No offence was intended and maybe saying what a load of crap was a little strong but I really cannot agree with your statement at all as I know it is incorrect from experience.

Edited by mrclough

What a load of crap!!!!!

Do more than what?

Do more than 120kph.

In my helmet wind & exhaust are not the only things I can hear.

Your statement was "All your going to hear at 120kph is wind and exhaust".

Simply not true. I hear many things other than wind and exhaust noises when riding.

Hence the statement that maybe your helmet (lid) could possibly be better if this is all you can hear.

Also considering the topic is about listening to music whilst riding, if you did this then you would also hear the music whilst doing 120kph.

No offence was intended and maybe saying what a load of crap was a little strong but I really cannot agree with your statement at all as I know it is incorrect from experience.

If you'd read my first post, you'd see i wasn't talking about hearing the music at 120kph +, although that would be a function of the S/N ratio of your headphones.;)

I hear other things to, but once i hit 120 kph, i cant hear anything else but wind and exhaust...with the exception of a siren, loud bang from a pile driver or car horn. Anything else nada. Maybe a bike with a loud ass fart pipe. But under normal circumstances nothing else, certainly not the Walls ice cream man, taxi, bus, train, airplane, Fino or Click. Had a few choppers scare the shit out of me though. :)

So what other things do you hear at 120k approx 85 MPH, please tell us.

I can often hear other traffic as I'm passing or being passed for example.

There are also many things you pass at the sides of the road that can be heard above the wind & exhaust also.

I'm sure you will have too if you think about it.